View Full Version : Sat-Nav on a Nokia N8

Eyebroughty
15-08-11, 05:01 AM
Hi,

Twice now I have tried the Nokia N8 Sat-Nav on a journey of 85 miles, (one way) to test how good this N8 was. I know this journey well.

Now if I say that from where I started there are two routes I can take, lets call them route "A" and route "B", the N8 decided on route "A"

I took route "B" as I prefer it. Both are basically the same distance one is slightly quicker, but not by much. I tried both settings on the N8.

For the first 40 miles the N8 continued to try and direct me back across country at one point adding 60 miles to the journey basically it was trying to get me to go back to the start to get me back onto the route "A" it had chosen.

I also had in the car my old TomTom, it also decided on route "A". After my first direction change, starting on route "B", it tried twice over the first mile to get me to turn back onto route "A" then it figured out I was going the whole journey on route "B" and recalculated it and never tried after that to divert me onto the original route "A".

It was only after the two routes joined that the N8 almost duplicated the TomTom, however when I took the way that the TomTom wanted at one roundabout 15 miles from the journey end, the quickest way, the N8 decided on another route and again tried to get me to go back to the roundabout and take the route it had chosen, only stopping telling me to go back when I got to the street where the address I was going to was.

Has anyone else found this with the Nokia N8. Apart from the fact it cannot figure out a new route and stick to it the other features on it are really good. It knew where every speed camera was, what the speed limits were in any area. Told me where the speed cameras were and if I was getting near the speed camera too fast. When slightly over the speed limit, by a couple of miles it would tell me. Clever stuff. But what is wrong with its guidance system?

Any ideas if this is just a stupid glitch in the N8's software or has anyone else found this to be the case?

Cheers

John

David F
15-08-11, 05:04 AM
Doesn't this just show that dedicated tool for the job is usually the best option?

e.g. what your tom tom like for making phone calls?

Eyebroughty
15-08-11, 05:08 AM
Doesn't this just show that dedcated tool for the job is usually the best option?

e.g. what you tom tom like for making phone cals?

That is an interesting point, so why put a camera, internet connection and browser plus a host of other features on the phone.

Todays technology can make these happen easily within a multitasking device, surely it must be the software that is letting it down?

Anex
15-08-11, 05:19 AM
Doesn't this just show that dedicated tool for the job is usually the best option?

Not really; it just demonstrates that the Nokia software appears not to work properly.

David F
15-08-11, 05:21 AM
That is an interesting point, so why put a camera, internet connection and browser plus a host of other features on the phone.

Todays technology can make these happen easily within a multitasking device, surely it must be the software that is letting it down?

I don't know EB....:)

I'm sure if you're prepared to play with the thing you'll make it work. AS you know, I'm not geeky like that. Its got to work pretty much first swing [maybe 2nd] or Ifind another way to do it.

I wouldn't let it drive you crazy tho'.....been there done that.

David F
15-08-11, 05:22 AM
Not really; it just demonstrates that the Nokia software appears not to work properly..

ok

Joe
15-08-11, 09:08 AM

Mines great...

I have Tomtom on my iPhone and it makes phone calls very nicely.

Rubbish camera though.:(