View Full Version : Home LAN Drop Box Stylee

garyi
28-09-11, 09:23 AM
Team.

I have a laptop full of stuff which, try as I might I tend to need every day. I also have use of this stuff at home.

I would like it in two locations but have the two keep sync, perferably via say my NAS.

In essence I want to save to this folder of stuff from a mac and macbook and have it reflected on both the macs, a bit like drop box I guess, only its hundreds of gigs of data so drop box is out. It only needs to happen on my LAN.

I think rsync could do this, but could do with guidance

Darth Vader
28-09-11, 09:54 AM
Team.

I have a laptop full of stuff which, try as I might I tend to need every day. I also have use of this stuff at home.

I would like it in two locations but have the two keep sync, perferably via say my NAS.

In essence I want to save to this folder of stuff from a mac and macbook and have it reflected on both the macs, a bit like drop box I guess, only its hundreds of gigs of data so drop box is out. It only needs to happen on my LAN.

I think rsync could do this, but could do with guidance

Why not just have a portable USB drive with the required data. This can be backed up as required.

For example I have a portable USB drive on my Mac Mini with my music files. The data is accessible via the MAC and VNC and also from any of my Windows based machines. Every now and then I back up portable drive.

Cheers,

DV

garyi
28-09-11, 10:18 AM
I don't use portable harddrives, they is old skool.

garyi
28-09-11, 10:31 AM
I think I got me head round it. Use Rsync to sync the two computers. Then have time machine backing up one of the computers so that if I screw up I have old copies.

Nice.

I recommend Backuplist+ for mac BTW.

Heath
28-09-11, 10:45 AM
Are you saying that you just want to access the data from both computers over your LAN, or do you want access to it on your MacBook when you're away from home and without internet access too?

If it's the former, just save your stuff to a folder on your NAS and have the folder permanently mounted on your Macs. Ideally you would then have something to back up your NAS incase it goes tits up.

If it's the latter, something like Intego Backup Express might do the trick and should be easier to use than rsync.

garyi
28-09-11, 10:59 AM
Yes I need access to the files on my lappy. As it goes I can sometimes get access via the web to my nas, but not always so I need the info there.

I have found the solution now, so all is well.