View Full Version : Coen Bros tribute thread.

Basil
15-11-11, 09:55 AM
Don't worry, checked the front page of IMDB and neither of them has died...

Just caught 'Romance and Cigarettes' on iPlayer...

Apart from 'Intolerable Cruelty' have these guys made a bad film?

Which is your fave?

Impossible to pick one, but if forced at gunpoint, I'd pick 'No Country for Old Men'

Wolfmancatsup
15-11-11, 09:56 AM
Wasn't too keen on The Ladykillers; pretty much love everything else they've done (not sure on IC though).

Mick

Basil
15-11-11, 09:57 AM
Wasn't too keen on The Ladykillers; pretty much love everything else they've done (not sure on IC though).

Mick

True, I'd forgotten that one...

arthur
15-11-11, 10:13 AM
'burn after reading' was pap beyond measure.

'..Old men' the best I think. Or 'fargo'. Daft as the proverbial that one and some excellent belly laughs.

TheDecameron
15-11-11, 10:18 AM
Fargo, it's the best. Sir, you have no call to get snippy with me......

TheDecameron
15-11-11, 10:21 AM
'burn after reading' was pap beyond measure.

Or as the guy with his wife in front of me said, "two for Read After Burning" please.

arthur
15-11-11, 10:27 AM
Or as the guy with his wife in front of me said, "two for Read After Burning" please.

:D :D I do enjoy the very daft.

Joe P
15-11-11, 10:32 AM
Of the Coen brothers films I've seen Raising Arizona, The Big Lebowski (well, duh!), Fargo and O Brother, Where Art Thou are my faves, man.

Intolerable Cruelty -- meh. Burn After Reading -- meh. Ladykillers -- what were they thinking?

Joe

muzzer
15-11-11, 10:32 AM
Got to be the Big L for me, liked Old Men and A Serious Man a lot.

Basil
15-11-11, 10:46 AM
Of the Coen brothers films I've seen Raising Arizona, The Big Lebowski (well, duh!), Fargo and O Brother, Where Art Thou are my faves, man.

Intolerable Cruelty -- meh. Burn After Reading -- meh. Ladykillers -- what were they thinking?

Joe

I always forget 'O Brother, Where Art Thou' is a Coen film...

Don't get old Joe...

And hey, 'Romance and Cigarettes'... Steve Buscemi doesn't die in it...

And a wonderful call out to The Big lebowski when Elaine Stritch tell's his character to 'Shut up'...

blossomchris
15-11-11, 11:08 AM
All films mentioned so far worth seeing again and again .
I always liked Barton Fink, reminded me of my first attempt at wallpaper hanging, also Blood simple is worth catching

Interzone
15-11-11, 11:11 AM
Don't forget the hudsucker proxy; can't think of a better scene that the rolling hoop.......

Joe Hutch
15-11-11, 11:15 AM
For some reason I always think The Shawshank Redemption (five quid HMV) is one of theirs. Fargo, Lebowski and Blood Simple for me. Anyone attempting a remake of an Ealing comedy without Alec Guinness is riding for a fall though.

Basil
15-11-11, 11:22 AM
For some reason I always think The Shawshank Redemption (five quid HMV) is one of theirs. Fargo, Lebowski and Blood Simple for me. Anyone attempting a remake of an Ealing comedy without Alec Guinness is riding for a fall though.

Ditto...

But I found my DVD at the supermarket for 3...

Not my best bargain, picked up 'Annie Hall' for a quid in Morrisons!

Greg
15-11-11, 11:33 AM
Of the Coen brothers films I've seen Raising Arizona, The Big Lebowski (well, duh!), Fargo and O Brother, Where Art Thou are my faves, man.I agree, though still have a soft spot for Barton Fink and Miller's Crossing.

Interzone
15-11-11, 11:37 AM
I agree, though still have a soft spot for Barton Fink and Miller's Crossing.

Agreed, both awesome.

Basil
15-11-11, 11:51 AM
I think it's the attention to detail that give the Coen Bros films that... little something extra.

arthur
15-11-11, 12:07 PM
Agreed, both awesome.

Haven't seen either. On my list they go.

Richard S
15-11-11, 12:14 PM
Raising Arizona gets me every time, especially this exchange in a convenience store;

Evelle: [about the balloons he just bought] These blow up into funny shapes and all?
Grocer: Well no... unless round is funny.

zener
15-11-11, 02:17 PM
I know which ones are not so good , which one is best ...are you kidding.

Interzone
15-11-11, 02:27 PM
Haven't seen either. On my list they go.

Duuuuuude. millar's crossing is beyond awesome.

7_V
15-11-11, 02:40 PM
Apart from 'Intolerable Cruelty' have these guys made a bad film?
I think I like every Coen Bros film I've seen - including Intolerable Cruelty which I love!

kevinrt
15-11-11, 02:52 PM
Going back to the original post;

did the Coen brothers have anything to do with 'Romance and Cigarettes'?

Or is that not what you meant?

regards

Kevin

TheDecameron
15-11-11, 03:23 PM
I think I like every Coen Bros film I've seen - including Intolerable Cruelty which I love!

So Steve, if you were a character in Fargo, who would you be?

7_V
15-11-11, 03:32 PM
I haven't seen it but I've added it to my list.

7_V
15-11-11, 03:52 PM
I've just taken my list to Amazon and hit the Buy button. I needed a few DVDs. It's still a cheap evening - until the government bomb Jersey or whatever they're planning to do.

vuk
15-11-11, 08:43 PM
i actually find all of their movies to be juvenile, although occasionally entertaining. two people can not make a film or write a novel or paint a picture that's any good, even if they are brothers.

"rasing arizona" is in really poor taste and i had to stop after about 10-15 minutes. stealing a baby is about as funny as death in a concentration camp. it says a lot about the brothers and contemporary western culture.

vuk.

Wolfmancatsup
16-11-11, 01:03 AM
I'd forgotten about Raising Arizona - I keep trying with it but can't get on with it because it's full of people SHOUTING ALL THE TIME!

RichardH
16-11-11, 01:05 AM
The Man Who Wasn't There always seems to get forgotten. Lovely tone to that one, I think.

Suffolk Tony
16-11-11, 01:19 AM
I'm a huge fan; Fargo, The Big Lebowski & Oh Brother Where Art Thou? are marginally my faves but, let's face it, they've yet to make a bad film. In addition to their attention to detail, I just love the characters that inhabit their stuff.

billo
16-11-11, 02:34 AM
They also had a hand in a great little film called Crimewave (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088967/)
Blood Simple is a great film but it does un nerve a little.

Wolfmancatsup
16-11-11, 04:30 AM
I'm a huge fan; Fargo, The Big Lebowski & Oh Brother Where Art Thou? are marginally my faves but, let's face it, they've yet to make a bad film. In addition to their attention to detail, I just love the characters that inhabit their stuff.

I'm the same; add Barton Fink to those three and those are my favourites, although Millers Crossing is a close fifth.

Mick

auric
16-11-11, 04:54 AM

Joe

Nothing much else to add to that splendid list.