View Full Version : Specialized Rockhopper Disc...

Anex
25-11-11, 09:56 AM
Dudes,

Can anyone give me an idea of a fair price for a 2007 Spec. Rockhopper Disc? Doing a clear out ahead of a house move, and not sure what to ask. Was thinking 150 with Mallet pedals and an SDG Ti saddle. Is that about fair?

zener
25-11-11, 10:19 AM
Whats sort of condition is it in. Is it used but very good , or getting tatty??

Anex
25-11-11, 10:50 AM
Problems are a dent in the chain stay and BB starting to creak. I took it into the Stiff workshop 3 years ago who reckon the dent is nothing to worry about and it's been fine since.
I'll stick a new chain on before selling too.
Otherwise in good nick.

stevec67
25-11-11, 11:25 AM
Seems about right. Maybe 200 on a good day. I wouldn't change a chain, it adds no value and it costs 20.

Anex
25-11-11, 11:28 AM
Thanks. Think I do have to change the chain though as it's a crappy 9 speed LX which means it stretches to double its length in five minutes flat. It's pretty tricky to ride when the chain keeps falling off :/

zener
25-11-11, 11:36 AM
chuck a 15 SRAM chain on it put it up for 175 and be prepared to get knocked down to 150. If the chainstays are dented , that is the killer. To sort the creaking BB , tip it on its side , pour some oil around the bearing leave for half an hour, repeat for the other side , wipe the oil from the bearing before you swap over sides. It could be the cranks just need tightening.

Anex
25-11-11, 11:38 AM
Will a SRAM chain run ok on shimano cogs?
Otherwise eBay has the LX chains for £15 ish.

stevec67
25-11-11, 11:50 AM
SRAM 9spd will be fine. 8spd won't work. Your generation of Shimano BB will be a solid axle on a square taper so I'd be surprised if it was sufficiently loose to allow play. The oil tip is a good one though, it does quieten them down for a bit.

When you say the gears are shifting, is it shifting gear of its own accord? This is uaully cable related, or a sticky shifter, not the chain. Worn chain is the chain slipping under load. In fact, I'm about this weekend, on and off. Give me a call and I'll look it over if you like.

Anex
25-11-11, 11:53 AM
Nah it's chain slap related - anything more than a curb drop and there's a high chance it'll lose the chain. It's just stretched way beyond its useful life.
I'll set the mechs up again before selling.
Thanks for the offer dude but I'm in Harrogate don't you know, for most of the weekend.

stevec67
25-11-11, 04:22 PM
In Harrogate? Too posh to talk to then.:p

I'm slumming it in Skipton when I'm not master of all I survey in sunny Armley, listening to the police helicopter overhead and the sirens zipping down from Bramley.

(I'm only master of all I survey because I daren't open the curtains.:o)

JCL
25-11-11, 04:36 PM
Good luck with the cassette and chainrings if the chain is that worn!