View Full Version : Then AMUSED TO DEATH came along

woodpecker
21-07-07, 07:45 AM
Several years ago if anyone had asked me what is the best album that I had ever heard I would have had to say that I could not pin it down to one album but would have listed about 10 albums all competing for being the best.
Then i discovered Roger Waters album Amused To Death. And to me this is now clearly the best album that I have ever heard.
Now,for me, there is Amused to Death.....and then daylight.....to lots of great albums.
Does anyone else feel this way about a particular album.....that it is definitively their CLEAR FAVOURITE album, of all time,and what album is it?
Now, I know that someone will come on here and tell me that Amused To Death is a pile of crap. But, that is what music is all about......aint it?
If we all loved and hated the same albums it would be a chuffing boring world.
Finally, I wonder how many people bought the Roger Waters solo albums RADIO KAOS (poor) and Pros and cons of hitchhiking (good) but gave up and missed the masterpiece AMUSED TO DEATH. (IMHO of course)

kasperhauser
21-07-07, 09:27 AM
It's the only RW album I own, but I only like it for the Jeff Beck bits. Akin to Clinton's claim of not inhaling perhaps, but true.

Joe Hutch
21-07-07, 10:58 AM
My clear favourite album of all time is 'Raw Power' by Iggy and the Stooges, as can be seen from the tattered sleeve, and worn-out grooves of my 1973 vinyl copy. I can hear SSB muttering 'Fun House', but that unfortunately has 'LA Blues' on it which I don't much care for, whereas 'Raw Power' is solid gold throughout.

John
21-07-07, 11:40 AM
Then i discovered Roger Waters album Amused To Death. And to me this is now clearly the best album that I have ever heard.

I wish the album was reissued on vinyl. I should have bought a copy when it was available.

martin clark
21-07-07, 11:46 AM
Amused to Death is a pile of crap. I bought it on the strength of many recommendations, and still have it, in fact. I have no idea why though - it just sounds unremittingly miserable to me.

I wish I could post a smiley here, but unfortunately, I really do feel this way about it. Sorry, Woodpecker

Otherwise - i've no clear out-and-out favourites but a steadily rotating mess of discs that never get put away.

Martin D
21-07-07, 11:53 AM
Amused to Death is a pile of crap.

err no its not IMHO

Joe Hutch
21-07-07, 12:03 PM
I've never heard it, but I thought the idea of the thread was to nominate our own favourites rather than argue the toss about 'Amused to Death'?

John
21-07-07, 12:21 PM
I think it's hard to pick a favorite album, but one of them is 10cc, Deceptive Bends.

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd700/d749/d749773u49y.jpg

martin clark
21-07-07, 01:14 PM
Fair point Joe, though I meant my comment to read more humourously than it does.

OK then, three I can't imagine not having close to hand: Everybody Digs Bill Evans; Gerry Rafferty Baker Street; John Renbourn / Stephan Grossman Under the Volcano. All three satisfy, whatever mood I'm in.

martin clark
21-07-07, 01:20 PM
Oh, and Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus

Blzebub
21-07-07, 01:23 PM
Amused to Death is a pile of crap.
That's certainly the reputation it has. A "hi-fi" classic.

Paul R
21-07-07, 02:23 PM
If you listen carefully to the beginning the dog appears to be barking outside the room. Hifi cool.

Paul

Tony L
21-07-07, 02:26 PM
If you play your cards right the dog appears to be barking on eBay - I got over 100 quid for a copy once.

Tony.

John
21-07-07, 03:20 PM
Any idea why that album fails to get reissued on vinyl when so much other dreck manages to? Sony should consider this.

PeeWeeKiwi
21-07-07, 05:53 PM
If you play your cards right the dog appears to be barking on eBay - I got over 100 quid for a copy once.

Tony.

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Aussie Mike
22-07-07, 12:48 AM
I think Amused to Death is one of those albums that you either love or hate. For me it is up there with the best album i own, i just wish i had bought the Sony Mastersound version when i had the chance, i know you can buy it on Amazon or ebay but i refuse to pay there prices. As for the vinyl when will someone please re-release it because the secondhand price is ridiculous

Mike

Martin D
22-07-07, 09:02 AM
Mike
How much do they go for, sat reading said disk on the table! Not selling though, would a copy be acceptable - I'd do you one.

Martin

Uncle Ants
22-07-07, 11:00 AM
I've never heard it and certainly won't be stumping out for a vinyl copy at the prics it goes for but my interest is up (albums which strongly divide opinion are usually pretty good though not necessarily to my taste). HOw does it compare to say Pros and Cons? or (I know its Floyd but its sort of like a Waters solo album) The Final Cut? ... which isn't half as bad as a lot of people who only ever listened to it once will have you believe ... (and has some very cool special effects if you listen with headphones).

My better than everything else album by a country mile (pun intended :) ), is Nashville Skyline by Bob Dylan ... and Tony if you ever run across a nice first issue, give me a shout.

foxwelljsly
22-07-07, 01:11 PM
I listened to ATD yesterday. It sounded like Chris Rea to me, but I've never been able to appreciate any PF related stuff made after Animals.

Nashville Skyline is utterly ace, though.

Simon

Tony L
22-07-07, 01:16 PM
I've got an original orange label copy of Nashville Skyline that looks absolutely mint with no spindle marking but crackles like a bastard. Disappointing as it's a great album.

Tony.

John
22-07-07, 01:24 PM
Sundazed Records (http://www.sundazed.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=847) will release Nashville Skyline on July 24th. They do a pretty good job with their reissues.

Uncle Ants
22-07-07, 01:31 PM
I've got an original orange label copy of Nashville Skyline that looks absolutely mint with no spindle marking but crackles like a bastard. Disappointing as it's a great album.

Tony.

Ah. You think that's a one off or are they all like that? TBH the copy I have is a thin cheap Nice Price, but its sounds great, I suspect the fact its less than 30 minutes long helps the sound quality a lot. But with that particular record I would quite like a real nice first pressing.

The Sundazed one sound interesting but if the reissue I have sounds good, no point spending money on another, If I'm gonna spend some money the original makes more sense.

Tony if that one you had played minty as well as looked it, what's the current rate on these?

Joe Hutch
22-07-07, 01:47 PM
Ah. You think that's a one off or are they all like that? TBH the copy I have is a thin cheap Nice Price, but its sounds great, I suspect the fact its less than 30 minutes long helps the sound quality a lot. But with that particular record I would quite like a real nice first pressing.

Our copy (a first pressing) is not at all crackly, despite being played on knackered Dansettes, rubbish student systems, etc etc.

Tony L
22-07-07, 01:56 PM
Mines got A2 / B3 matrixes and really does look mint, I've just had a look at it. I'll give it another scrub at some point and try again.

Tony.

lovejoy
23-07-07, 07:22 AM
I bought a copy of Pearl Jam's "Vs" on vinyl from Virgin about 10 years ago. It was scratched to hell and was covered in fingerprints so I took it straight back to be told "Sorry, we won't be getting any more copies of that album in, would you like to go and see if there is anything else you'd like to swap it for?" So I went and had a look, and lo and behold, a copy of Amused to Death was sat there in their small collection of vinyl.... Yoink! Didn't even have to pay the extra couple of quid for it for the "inconvenience". How lucky was that?

I have Radio Kaos and Pros and cons on vinyl too but ATD is the only one I rate, but that is an ace album.

Best ever for me though... Beck's "Mutations". Slightly similar to Sea Change but not as dowdy. Just full of very catchy tunes and seriously addictive.

Chumpy
25-07-07, 03:39 AM
I no longer have my plastic 'Amused..' but have copies as mp3 variously - it's ok, and I should play it again.

I still have my vinyl 10cc 'Deceptive Bends', but apart from the one track I place it nowhere near as I do their previous outstanding 4 albums (which I still have on the black stuff).

I frequently say that we all only need 30 albums, and I can reduce my favourites/essentials to 31 if I have one compiled from about 25 favourite 'singles'.

It is important to differentiate between what we like and what we believe is for others great - e.g. of albums release over last few years I like Kaiser Chiefs because they are fun/clone all of the old pop-formulae nicely - I do not believe others should be encouraged to like them if they don't 'get' it though. 1 10cc - their 2nd - 1 Kaisers - their 1st - 1 Waters 'Wish You Were Here' figure in my essential 30-31.

Aussie Mike
27-07-07, 06:08 PM
Martin
Just had a quick look on Amazon and there is a copy going for about $100 US but when I've checked at other times they have ranged for $60 up to $200 for a mint sealed copy.

You have a PM

Mike

deafasapost
29-07-07, 12:08 PM
AMD, brilliant album, prefer the lp to cd. i think (imo) roger waters hasnt done any bad recordings inc floyd. top dollar lyricist.

prowla
29-07-07, 12:51 PM
I'm listening to Amused To Death right now - it's pretty good.

My all-time great album is Rush's Moving Pictures, though.

RJohan
29-07-07, 09:41 PM
Through many years I have considered Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu as THE best album (and, yes, it's been recently reissued on vinyl by Classic Records). Just a couple of month ago I discovered that Chicago II must be IT (don't know about the current vinyl status)!

JohanR