View Full Version : Help me spend....

lordsummit
17-09-08, 02:01 PM
I want some ideas for spending a 25 itunes voucher someone bought me. Unusual stuff I probably haven't heard but really ought to.....

Maybe electronica, or jazz, or any other genre. Just tell me what it is and why and I'll buy the ones that tickle my fancy so to speak.

I'm trying the PFM route to fulfillment

Anex
17-09-08, 02:11 PM
Spend it all on dubstep all stars mixes, it's what's going on!

darrenwm
17-09-08, 02:18 PM
On the front page of iTunes Store yesterday was "Hotel Costes 11".

It's an electronic mix: jazzy, lounge, etc. 7.99 iTunes Plus.

I have most albums in the series.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hotel+costes&x=0&y=0

Alex N
17-09-08, 02:22 PM
No way of knowing what you've already got of course, but I got a 25 iTunes voucher for Christmas and got this electronica,

a simple beautiful record I'd been meaning to get for ages...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3133V2EEW4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Just checked for you, and this fairly mainstream, imposssible not to like, jazz is also on iTunes. Soundtrack to one of the best French films ever...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41w7Lz7l1RL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

dss
17-09-08, 02:24 PM
Can you get the Kompakt 'Total' Series Complications on that ITunes there ?

If so, the latest one is 9 worth having a go is it.

DS

lordsummit
17-09-08, 02:33 PM
Four tet looks good, I'll look for that one. I've got loads of Miles, so I might pass although it's one I've never seen before. I'll have a listen to the Hotel Costes one as well.

Sorry DSS can't find those. Anex, I need more convincing, it sounds like something the kids at school might have :)

Borellus
17-09-08, 02:35 PM
Dexter Gordon - Gettin' Around, just finished listening to this, if you don't feel moved listening to Who can I turn to (when nobody needs me) then you are already dead :cool:

Alex N
17-09-08, 02:38 PM
lord, Search for DJ Koze, I'm somewhat amazed to say that dss's choice is on iTunes.

Steve Jobs is down with the sound of Superpitcher and all other flavours of German minimal house - lmao!

darrenwm
17-09-08, 02:45 PM
I have a few Dexter albums.

Go! is great, as is Doin' Alright. A Swingin' Affair and Blows Hot and Cold bore me a little though.

Unregistered
17-09-08, 02:45 PM
Luomo Vocalcity, finely crafted microhouse tunes that evolve slowly over 10-12 mins in an organic, glitchy, funky kinda way. 7.99 - bargain.

Rich

p.s. for the Kompakt album, search for 'total 9'

dss
17-09-08, 02:52 PM
Does that iTunes have to Kompakt Extra Series 'Speicher' - Not the complilations, but the actuals tracks there?

I don't have any iTunes is it.

Also, Monolake is nice electronics, they might be on it.

DS

Alex N
17-09-08, 02:59 PM
It'll have Monolake, cos I downloaded Remotable from their Cinemascope album from iTunes. Worth trying a whole album then ds, which one?

Unregistered
17-09-08, 03:04 PM
Does that iTunes have to Kompakt Extra Series 'Speicher' - Not the complilations, but the actuals tracks there?Doesn't appear to, but the kompakt mp3 site (http://www.kompakt-mp3.net/) does.

Rich

Anex
17-09-08, 03:13 PM
Anex, I need more convincing, it sounds like something the kids at school might have :)

Pft! Your loss, I'm not going to convince you. They're all hands down better than anything four tet has produced, but it's your money...

dss
17-09-08, 03:28 PM
It'll have Monolake, cos I downloaded Remotable from their Cinemascope album from iTunes. Worth trying a whole album then ds, which one?

Alex, there are lots of good ones, 'Interstate' and 'Hong Kong' are up there is it.

Very topical at the moment is 'Cern'

I was advised today that T++, connected to Robert Henke is playing in Oct in That Manchester soon. I am very much a fan of T++, esp. Space / Pong there.

DS

The Captain
17-09-08, 03:58 PM
Might I suggest Minutemen, Double Nickels On The Dime? its monumentally good & may even be the greatest album of all time.

DO get AlexN's 2nd recommendation (MDavis) but DON'T get his 1st (that Fourtet album is pants :D)

Anex
17-09-08, 11:44 PM
No it isn't, it's just a bit average.

sideshowbob
18-09-08, 12:31 AM
I think Fourtet is pretty boring. Don't much like his stuff with Steve Reid either.

anyway, I agree with Anex, the Dubstep Allstars compilations are among the best things I've picked up this year.

jimb0
18-09-08, 12:55 AM
Fourtet is nice but dull, there are much more exciting things to get hold of. 'Deepchord presents Echospace - The Coldest Season' would be excellent as we descend into the grip of winter.

lordsummit
18-09-08, 03:44 AM
OK, I'm warming to it, I'll look for them, and purchase them if they're there.

lordsummit
18-09-08, 12:13 PM
I'm trying to find them, anyone else manage it?

James Evans
18-09-08, 12:30 PM
if only they'd given you boomkat vouchers eh

personally, I can't stop listening to this:

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=89371&highlight=89383

Alex N
18-09-08, 12:48 PM
I'd be amazed if any Dubstep Allstars compilations are on iTunes.

You can find plenty of the tracks by dubstep artists on them like Benga and Kode 9 and Coki, and Burial of course - but dubstep's like Marmite, unless you're from Croydon!

My recommendations from yesterday were based on the fact that they're on iTunes, fairly safe, and I'd just played them. By the same logic, today's recommendations:
Boards of Canada's In a Beautiful Place Out In The Country, and Soulwax's Nite Versions/Any Minute Now.

lordsummit
18-09-08, 01:14 PM
1 and 2 are on itunes! Which one then.
Boards of Canada has been on my want to buy list for ages.

Alex N
18-09-08, 01:24 PM
Probably not the best to ask about dubstep, but for BoC, I'd try the ep I mentioned, Geogaddi and/or Music Has The Right To Children. Watch someone recommend their other stuff now!

Anex
18-09-08, 01:30 PM
I'd agree with those Alex. The last couple of records were pretty shite. The first two, High Scores and Twoism both have one ****ing brilliant track on, and the rest isn't up to much or is on later stuff. Geogaddi is their best record.

lordsummit
18-09-08, 01:37 PM
Number 1 or 2 of the Dubstep then? It is the Dubstep sessions I'm after isn't it?

Alex N
18-09-08, 01:51 PM
No, I can't see them on iTunes, if you search on Amazon for Dubstep Allstars, you'll find them. I've heard a couple, but I don't get dubstep, if I'm honest.

lordsummit
18-09-08, 02:05 PM
I might buy a CD of that or find an LP from somewhere. Dubstep allstars definitely isn't available. Nevermind. Boards of Canada are a goer.

lordsummit
01-10-08, 02:17 AM
Hi, thanks for all the suggestions. Bought in the end.....
Boards of Canada Geogadi
Klaus Schulze 72-93 the essential. (Got a few LPs like them and wanted a sampler of some of his other stuff)
Miles Davis the complete Bitches Brew sessions (bargain for the same price as the Bitches Brew album)