View Full Version : Using an Imac as a TV. Which spec?

topa
05-10-10, 08:39 AM
I've come across an Elgato USB Stick that enables me to watch digital cable TV with my oldish macbook, which struggles a bit when doing so. Looking into buying an Imac now, size doesn't really matter (the ladies say), but nevertheless I'm not sure which specs to go for.

I want this thing to easily run HD TV, plus do a little internet/emailing/squeezeboxserver alongside too. Most of the channels here aren't HD yet, which also makes me wonder if watching SD on a 27'' imac is a wise thing to do at all.

So, it's 21'' vs 27'', and all the upgrade options:
i3 vs i5, standard 512MB Vid vs 1Gb, standard 4Gb ram vs 8 Gb and so on.
I'm confused. And unwilling to tick all the boxes.

Anex
05-10-10, 10:01 AM
I'm pretty sure any of the specs will do what you want. Are you sure the stick does high-def though? I didn't think USB had the bandwidth for high-def TV.
Also not sure why your macbook struggles, it shouldn't do really, TV isn't that intensive an application.

topa
05-10-10, 10:46 AM
Stick definitely does HD.
Macbook is an older white Core Duo with only 64Mb shared video memory. I guess that's what's limiting its performance.

Anex
05-10-10, 11:18 AM
Ah yes, had forgotten about that. Well as the mini does high def, I'm sure the iMacs will do it with ease, so get whatever takes your fancy I suppose.
Seems a bit poor that the base level 27" model has the same gfx hardware as the faster 21.5.

topa
05-10-10, 11:37 AM
Seems a bit poor that the base level 27" model has the same gfx hardware as the faster 21.5.

Exactly. And it has to drive a lot more pixel too.
So, I guess I'll go for a high spec 21'' to be on the safe side.