View Full Version : LP12 Armboard Level Questions

backtovinyl
21-10-10, 02:24 PM
Evening folks, I have a question about LP12 setup as I'm convinced mine is not right despite being set up 'professionally'...

Assuming the deck is on a level platform and the plinth also shows level in both side to side and front to back, should the armboard also be perfectly level? Mine is square in the aperture but the front edge closest to the platter is higher than the other side. The bounce is good, and it sounds good but I'm not sure if it could or should sound better. Furthermore, is the level of the armboard more or less critical if using a unipivot like the Nima?

I know the answer is to get the deck in to a trusted pair of hands, which is what I will do however I'd like to know for my own benefit what effect if any the armboard level plays in sound quality.

YNWOAN
21-10-10, 02:44 PM
The armboard should, in an ideal world, be level with the plinth (don't compare it with the edge of the top plate). However, the absolute armboard level is not critical with a unipivot - the platter level is though.

hifi_dave
21-10-10, 02:49 PM
If all is well, the armboard should be level with the plinth all round. The armboard and platter should also be level.

flatpopely
21-10-10, 02:51 PM
Not all plinths are 100% true so the armboard may appear to be incorrect when actually it is perfectly level. My first plinth was exactly like this.