pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > photo

Notices

Old 09-03-12, 12:36 PM
pfm Member

Folks, I'm going to do this and the number of negs, prints has gone up yet again!

Just wondering do I need to build a muscle pc with 16-64Meg of ram plus exotic and bleeding edge hardware or something off the shelf?

All ideas, thoughts and personal experiences welcomed.
Old 09-03-12, 01:47 PM
Speed camera anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by auric View Post
Folks, I'm going to do this and the number of negs, prints has gone up yet again!

Just wondering do I need to build a muscle pc with 16-64Meg of ram plus exotic and bleeding edge hardware or something off the shelf?

All ideas, thoughts and personal experiences welcomed.
depends on the scanner. For the coolscan 9000Ed I'd look at needing at least 3Gb memory.
Old 09-03-12, 01:48 PM

a bit of muscle will be useful.

I used to use an Epson 4870, found that the upgrade from a WinXP machine with 2.0GHz proc and 2GB of RAM to an iMac with dual-core and 4GB of RAM was quite a jump.

these days I scan with Epson v700 on a quad-core iMac with 16GB of RAM. It's all a little faster.

In all cases I use Viewscan. Mostly because it works for me, and because I can't be arsed trialling other software!

Time is the thing you need most when scanning - if not in the capturing, then for the post-processing. A bit of muscle will make things faster, such that you have more time for post-processing or scanning the next image (or batch - which is something I need to get around to). Note - I'm doing 35mm almost exclusively.

cheers
Old 09-03-12, 04:53 PM

Depends what you mean by muscle. Scanners speed is more likely to be limited by the hardware than pc/mac, thogh you'll need plenty of storage and time to let the scanner do its work.

Processing is more demanding, particularly of your medium format files. Again, try to get some standard routines in place that you could automate. For example, if you go for a V750 then for archive purposes I would scan at 6400dpi (use vuescan and either multi exposure or multi sampling - slow but gets the best quality once you get the batch working) then automate a downsize routine to 3200dpi. That might usefully include a 0.25 pixel guassian blur before resize using one of the bicubic options, then a light sharpen (this can benefit from being done on a per image basis, or at least per film type)

Don't expect to finish quickly and try, unlike me, to sort out your filing system first.

Keep up with printing!

Looking forward to seeing some of them here

Mike
Old 11-03-12, 06:46 AM
pfm Member

I have the time, the cash and the technology. I'm open to suggestions

Many thanks, time is not too much of a problem for me at this moment.

I am not too worried about image manipulation as I plan to archive as much as possible and along the way add descriptions and notes to the images which now brings the question of cataloguing thousands of images to the fore. My ideal would be some prog or set of progs that does not keep my images & data captive and locked into one application but would allow me to export my content if something better comes along.

Answers from Mr Google are helpful but answers for flesh and blood are well worth their weight in gold.
Old 11-03-12, 07:37 AM
pfm Member

It sounds to me like you are looking for either Aperture or Lightroom - they are aimed at digital captures, but they don't mind if it's from a digital sensor or a scanner.

Both products are a mixture of basic image manipulation (crop, rotate, adjust contast, colour etc) and image management - they allow you to add tags to images, such as people's names, titles, group them into multiple folders so that you can quickly find them by location etc.

I'd start with these products if I were you.

Cesare
Old 11-03-12, 09:03 AM
pfm Member

Cesare, not too sure what I need but knocking about ideas on PFM before I reach for the credit card sure seems a good idea to me.

Thanks.
Old 02-04-12, 12:31 PM
pfm Member

After looking through the Epson specifications it is down to V600 or V700.

V600 about half the price of the V700.
Uses ICE for reflected and transmitted images.
Can do batches or 4*35mm.

V700 about twice the price of the V600.
Uses ICE for reflected and transmitted images.
Can do batches of 12*35.

Twice the price but is it three times faster?

Still thinking and wondering.
Old 02-04-12, 02:20 PM

V700 can do sheet film up to 10 by 8 as well. Might be useful one day?

Mike
Old 05-04-12, 09:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by auric View Post
I have come across some old b&w negatives ( 6*4.5 cm?) all perfectly exposed and in perfect condition that cover the period 1946 through to about 1958. Most if not all were developed and printed at home and cover a host of social happenings within the family and as such mean a lot to me and mine.

The question is what to do next?

My first thought are to find some place that can deal with these negatives and produce something along the lines of contact sheets plus scanned images.

I would like to end up with digital images that can be passed on to the next generation thus giving them a glimpse of life that was so much different from that of today.

Living within reach of London I'd be quite happy to take a small sample into somewhere that can do whatever is needed and has a reputation for doing this sort of thing well.

So folks, any ideas, anyone personal experience of this sort of thing?
I am loath to let Mr Google be my guide.

Any ideas?
You might want to have the most important of them printed if you want to ensure longevity. There is no guarantee that what is the current norm for digital storage will be the same in 10 years time...
Old 17-04-12, 12:45 PM
pfm Member

Still thinking, After Shot Pro although still quite new (but related to Bibble) is imho worth a look but still a bit hard to find useful thoughts on the product not authored by the makers.