pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > classic

Notices

Old 11-04-12, 03:10 PM
^'- -'^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue innovation View Post
Here's a nice picture of my first ever LP12
Very nice. I like to see Rega arms on the Linn ;0)

I assume you've noticed but don't you think it's odd the way platters don't sit at the same hight? That one is quite high, some are very close to the top plate. You can't adjust it out, the bearings must be different lengths.

Can't even see the prop hole, have you photo-shopped that? ;0)
Old 11-04-12, 03:43 PM
Trade: Analogue Innovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
Very nice. I like to see Rega arms on the Linn ;0)

I assume you've noticed but don't you think it's odd the way platters don't sit at the same hight? That one is quite high, some are very close to the top plate. You can't adjust it out, the bearings must be different lengths.

Cheers Mr P.

Yes, indeed I like Rega arms too. I think I've got 4 or 5 here; some standard, some modded.

The platter isn't very high at all in reality, I think the perspective and shadow cast makes it look higher than it actually is.

I can assure you that the teak filler piece can be seen, look a little closer again and you will see it.

Regards.

John R.
Old 12-04-12, 01:03 AM

Quote:

Here's the proof that I've not Photo-shopped it Mr. P.

Regards.

John R.
Old 12-04-12, 03:55 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
The internals from the underside shot look identical to mine, down to the brand of caps used on the terminal block.

If this is a chassis only LP12 ( and I have ads that confirm this possibility) then it opens up an interesting question around how the LP12 was designed and the idea that Ivor always had a kind of 'Linn sound' which differed fundamentally from that of the competition.
Selling the chassis without the plinth to me would imply that there was no such sound and that the early LP12 is just a Thorens 150 with a few tweaks and a beefier bearing. The plinth arrangement and set-up are pretty key to how this deck sounds.
It seems the mythology developed much later.

Stripping down my old LP12 recently left me feeling more than a little disappointed. It really is a very ordinary turntable in this early form and overall no better than the less expensive Thorens floaters IMO.
That isn't to imply anything about the match later versions or current production. I see the new ones as effectively different TTs.
I believe that Audio Projects in Leeds used to sell the LP12 minus plinth. One of my old Leeds Poly lecturers had his LP12 built into an old radiogram (with a 3009), and another had a purpose-made music unit, complete with space for amp and tuner. Bit like some of the old 301/401 set ups, I suppose.
Old 12-04-12, 09:47 AM
^'- -'^

Quote:
Here's the proof that I've not Photo-shopped it
Hat's off, that's a very tidy patch you've done there.
Old 12-04-12, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Hat's off, that's a very tidy patch you've done there.
Thanks again Mr. P.

I'm not entirely happy with it because looking closely again, you'll see a "stain" caused by the adhesive; but I am being picky, in reality it's only noticeable in certain light.

Regards.

John R.
Old 13-04-12, 10:45 AM
^'- -'^

Quote:
I'm not entirely happy with it because looking closely again, you'll see a "stain" caused by the adhesive
Oh, you're being very picky. I think it would be tricky to get a cleaner patch than that. Wood grain and colour looks bang on to me.

Maybe I'll get my plinth done piano black! And chrome my Ref Tops :0)
Old 11-05-12, 08:18 PM

LP12 #2717 is mounted in an SME-2000 plinth.

Old 12-05-12, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrei View Post
LP12 #2717 is mounted in an SME-2000 plinth.

Nice job! It looks very neat and as if it were meant to be

Regards.

John R.
Old 12-05-12, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowla View Post
Well, the Ariston hasn't got a felt mat, has it!
no, although the Linn originally came with a rubber mat, unsurprisingly similar to an ariston. short memory.

Last edited by Rico; 12-05-12 at 03:53 PM. Reason: mat
Old 12-05-12, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray johnson View Post
"acquired" LOL. So nicely put.

I'd also agree that there is no point going over any of it now other than to show some people where the design came from and that Ivor didn't really 'invent' anything.
its interesting that people often mistake invention or origination for greatness, where in fact those who refine are often more successful and are truly great.

the world is full of failed inventors who despite brilliant ideas and inventions, have failed to attract those who could realise the brilliance and successfully form a business and actually *market and sell* them. rather than being knocked for not inventing, they should be recognised for having realised something tangible.
Old 14-05-12, 08:52 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
its interesting that people often mistake invention or origination for greatness, where in fact those who refine are often more successful and are truly great.

the world is full of failed inventors who despite brilliant ideas and inventions, have failed to attract those who could realise the brilliance and successfully form a business and actually *market and sell* them. rather than being knocked for not inventing, they should be recognised for having realised something tangible.
Move over Clive Sinclair....
Old 19-05-12, 11:21 AM
Mr Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post

and Marconi.

Stephen
Old 13-06-12, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

I'm taking delivery today of Linn Sondek #3923 here in the eastern US. I bought it as a project and will get it set up and have a listen before deciding what to do with it. It still has the original Grace G707 arm. I'd like to keep it period correct if possible.

I last listened to a deck with this configuration and Supex 900 Super cartridge back in 1978 through a Naim 12s/120 and Quad ESL 57's and thought back then it sounded awesome. The combination worked well.

I hope they packed it well and removed the outer platter and arm etc. Guess I'll find out when I go home tonight.

Colin
Old 13-06-12, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
like someone has applied very mild reverb.

Is that a good thing

I'm thinking of trying to eliminate that effect on one of my TD150s, but it might make it 'less musical', no?

Mike