Notices

Old 17-04-12, 08:19 AM
pfm Member

^^ and clutch!!!!
Old 17-04-12, 08:22 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmterror View Post

I feel that drivers that have to do a driving course for speeding etc. should instead be made to do a basic CBT bike course where possible. I learnt a lot more about driving a car from that. Strange but true.
No need. People just need one or two hours of advanced training to make them realise so many wrong habits. I constantly analyse my own driving, and try to learn from others (when holding back from picking holes lol)

Tony
Old 17-04-12, 08:24 AM

Mull the most important thing here is not to piss your daughter off and destroy her confidence.
My Dad was a onetime driving instructor and an exceptionally good driver, but I used to dread him being a passenger as I would always drop a clanger when he was in the car. He didn't even have to say anything, I just knew.
He wasn't a tyrannt or a bully like some parents can be but a terrible passenger. The Mrs is also a lousy passenger so perhaps I am a lousy driver, who cares.
Let her make her own mistakes and learn from them otherwise you may find yourself waiting for the bus to the outpatients in the future.
Old 17-04-12, 08:28 AM
Resident Philistine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzme01 View Post
Excellent!

A driving thread!

Just for the record, my driving skills are world class and my experience second to none.

Should I ever voice a driving related opinion I will, of course, be correct.

(insert arms-folded-across-chest smiley)
Well obviously.

But I'll be more correct than yow!

Mull
Old 17-04-12, 08:39 AM
pfm Member

I remember driving my dad in my old Volvo 340DL which had about 65hp. We were sitting at a steepish junction and when the road was clear I hit the gas pedal hard and launched the thing so hard the whole underside seemed to clunk to the back of the car.

Dad went "what the hell do you do that for?"

I then realised and told him that in fact I was used to driving that heavy and underpowered car with four passengers (we car shared for work back then) and thats how you had to drive it. Just habit again.

Luckily he understood and said "Yes I suppose so, but take it steady."
Old 17-04-12, 06:35 PM
These go to eleven

I am a careful driver and its a matter of common sense. If Im stopped for a long while of course I take it out of gear and even turn the engine off.

If you get rear ended at any speed your car will be moving forward handbrake or not. Its often the people not in full control of the car and doing everything by the numbers that are most dangerous.

You can see them handbrake off on the hill, roll back a way, finding the clutch bite and off they stutter.

I strip cars down so I know all about the tolerable limits of clutch and gear wear.
Nobody drives with hands at 10 to 2 all the time and you want to be looking out for the people rigidly holding the wheel like grim death.The car is obviously in control of them.

Last edited by Minstrel SE; 17-04-12 at 06:48 PM.