pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > classic

Notices

Old 28-04-12, 04:35 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy72 View Post
spent a fortune on speakers over the years, naim sbl and upto martin logan ascent i at 4.5k and still nothing beats my kef 104/2 as an allrounder. try them out and sell them on but the kefs stay everytime.
I love 104/2's!
Be aware that the foam dust caps on the (yet another B200 variant!) bass units rot and the T33 tweeters can lose some DB's due to the ferrofluid drying up. Replacements for any of the drivers are virtually impossible to source as well, so look after them!
Old 29-04-12, 07:36 AM
Between us and them

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedanfan View Post
If I may piggy-back this thread, what are the kef eqivalents of the celestion 66's (which are beyond the financial grasp of mere mortals these days).
Looser in the very deep bass unless you have a ss amp with huge damping factor, but the IMF Domestic, Pro and Reference Monitor were huge and twice as wide as Ditton 66's. The RSPM IV became a favourite, but could sizzle a bit when they were new. They'll all need dismantling and fresh acoustic foam inserted in the lines now I think.

Otherwise, the early 70's top domestic model was the Concerto, which I have huge fondness for as long as they're placed on 10 - 12" stands and kept well away from walls and corners. the crossovers may be updatable I think - ask Wilmslow Audio for advice..

Re 104ab's - they're a disaster on springy belt-drive vinyl as the low bass isn't that well controlled - I suspect many ABR speakers *could* be similar, but on clean vinyl sources and digital/live classic radio broadcasts, they come into their own and should see off the popular DM2's in terms of bass "tunefulness" (I have done the comparisons many times, albeit decades ago now) if driven right..

Really, 104/2's are cheap enough now, as are the late 90's reference models with curvy baffles and in all honesty, these later models are worth looking out for IMO.
Old 29-04-12, 09:17 AM

I've narrowed my choice to the classic pair B200/T27: Chorale and better (but a bit more difficult to find) Corelli.
Still curious about Linn Index.
I wonder if these old loudspeakers after having crossover recapped do sound as good as in original condition.
Old 29-04-12, 09:44 AM
pfm Member

I have had the Original Chorale and Cadenza, the Corelli beats them by a mile for midrange/ treble accuracy.

It would be very sensible to recap all these old KEF's as they mainly used reversible electrolytics, which are likely to be well out of spec by now. They can damage the tweeter and one would not want that to happen, especially as T27's are getting valuable.
Old 29-04-12, 09:52 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
I've narrowed my choice to the classic pair B200/T27: Chorale and better (but a bit more difficult to find) Corelli
How about a pair of the original 103s? B200 + T52 tweeter.
Old 29-04-12, 10:21 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunsworth View Post
How about a pair of the original 103s? B200 + T52 tweeter.
I heard them only once, at a Hi Fi show, when they had just come out, not bad.
Old 29-04-12, 10:28 AM
pfm Member

the old linn index was a pretty nice unit - especially with a good amp driving but I gather later versions left a lot to bedesired - but as Ive not heard later ones I can't really comment from experience. I always hankered after a pair of kefkit3s and despite a few coming up on the 'bay I've not yet seen any I would really want to buy.
Old 29-04-12, 10:38 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joddle View Post
the old linn index was a pretty nice unit - especially with a good amp driving but I gather later versions left a lot to bedesired - but as Ive not heard later ones I can't really comment from experience. I always hankered after a pair of kefkit3s and despite a few coming up on the 'bay I've not yet seen any I would really want to buy.
Not bad units in the KEF Kit 3/ Concerto, B139, B110, T27, but the crossover does not really integrate / equalize them very well. Stand a pair of LS3/5a on top of Concertos and it is obvious that the LS3/5a (B110/ T27) is far superior, except for the lowest bass.
Old 30-04-12, 08:18 AM
pfm Member

Hmm - does anyone produce a better crossover then?
Old 30-04-12, 08:55 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Hmm - does anyone produce a better crossover then?
Well, I believe that Falcon and Wilmslow Audio used to, possibly the Wilmslow one was made by Falcon.

I have heard KEF Concertos that used the LS3/5a crossovers (Falcon) for the B110 and T27, and were extremely good. They were used in a small(ish) Audio Studio.
Old 30-04-12, 10:55 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radfordman View Post
Well, I believe that Falcon and Wilmslow Audio used to, possibly the Wilmslow one was made by Falcon.

I have heard KEF Concertos that used the LS3/5a crossovers (Falcon) for the B110 and T27, and were extremely good. They were used in a small(ish) Audio Studio.
even more interesting - what did they do to drive the B139 then?
Old 30-04-12, 11:47 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
even more interesting - what did they do to drive the B139 then?
I think it was the low pass section the the Concerto crossover, but there was something else to keep bass out of the B110. I do not have the details.
Old 07-05-12, 02:18 AM
Tamalpais high-at about3

personally listen to the 105.2 in front of me. best "big" speaker to me with precise soundstage ever, linearity and imaging. they were the reference (the ones the new stuff were compared to and used for amp tests) for the main hi-fi mags in france, and monitoring studios. simply amazing.
Old 07-05-12, 02:28 AM
pfm Member

I still have my 104/2s bought some twenty odd years ago & they are still fabulous. Pete the Bus says look after them; not knowing my woofer from my tweeter how do I do that?

Julian