pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 30-04-12, 04:27 AM
Saint Alphonso!

DIN attenuation?

Anyone know if such things as DIN attenuators exist (i.e. a DIN equivalent to RCA attenuators)?

This is to tame the wild input gain on a Nait 2 when handling incoming signals from CDP or SB Touch.
Old 30-04-12, 04:48 AM
pfm Member

Easiest to fit a pair of small resistors inside the DIN plug. Most makers of DIN-RCA cables can make up a suitable lead like this.
Old 30-04-12, 05:02 AM
Saint Alphonso!

I wondered about getting the Nait 2 modded itself. It's clearly been designed without a whole lot of QC in this area IMHO (much as I love it, and I do). Oh, and yes, it has been serviced reasonably recently (2005 I think I had it done) so I know that it's not a defect as such...
Old 30-04-12, 05:10 AM
pfm Member

Not a defect. The Nait's line level inputs were designed with enough gain for line level sources, which would usually output anywhere from 300mV to 800mV. When CD came out, the output was set much, much higher at 2V. Many digital devices exceed this standard - up to 3V is not unusual. It's often done so a particular device will sound "louder" in a comparative demo, and hence be considered as "better". It means that pre-amps with a fixed gain can give a much smaller control area on their volume pots. Attenuation of the output on any deigital device is often a good idea with older equipment, especially as some kit can be pushed into overload by a digital source. FWIW, this isn't an issue with Naim pre-amps and Naits - they have a very high overload ceiling of around 7V, but the volume control range issue remains.
Old 30-04-12, 05:27 AM
pfm Member

JTC,
Flashback can make up a cable like this for you.
Alternatively, Rothwell and GoldenJacks can both make up attenuators that work at the source rather than amp end. Same cost, but usually special order.
Modding your NAIT2 is always an option, but not great for any future re-sale value.
Old 30-04-12, 04:22 PM
pfm Member

Am trying to wear in some source end goldenjacks at the moment. Was disappointed initially, but am tired of only having 20% of the knob to use.
Old 01-05-12, 06:17 AM
pfm Member

JTC, one other thought - can't you just turn down the volume a little on the SB Touch?
A small amount of digital volume attenuation shouldn't cause any real harm and will be more than offset by getting past 8 o'clock on the Nait's volume dial.
Old 01-05-12, 06:34 AM
Saint Alphonso!

Sure, I can back the gain off a little but there's also a cd player in this system which can't - and (as far as possible) I'd like the volume control to be as consistent as possible across inputs.
Old 01-05-12, 06:43 AM
pfm Member

Is the CD player Naim or other? If other, just add source attached attenuators to the CD player's RCA outs and then digital volume control on the SBT. You can use the SBT's variable volume to get the two level matched.
Old 01-05-12, 06:49 AM
Saint Alphonso!

Other - it's my wife's. It's a Cambridge Audio something.