pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 07-05-12, 01:36 AM
The sound of one hoof clopping

Quick Question:

I have a load of EU headed pre moulded cables, a lot of recent equipment comes with a whole family of different headed IEC mains leads. Is it safe to lop them off and terminate with UK 13A plugs or ought I sling them in the WEEE waste bin?
Old 07-05-12, 01:37 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox View Post
Quick Question:

I have a load of EU headed pre moulded cables, a lot of recent equipment comes with a whole family of different headed IEC mains leads. Is it safe to lop them off and terminate with UK 13A plugs or ought I sling them in the WEEE waste bin?
Perfectly safe to snip a Euro plug off and replace with your own UK mains plug
Old 07-05-12, 01:41 AM
The sound of one hoof clopping

Yay! And a spares cable box is born!
My life is coming back together.
Old 07-05-12, 01:41 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formbypc View Post
Yes we can. Russ Andrews have been doing this for years. Try it at home, if you don't like it, send it back and get your money back.
Yes...that was his point.
Old 07-05-12, 02:08 AM
^'- -'^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Evidence cannot be subjective it can only be empirical...they being opposites. 'Evidence' that is subjective is merely opinion.
Quite true, but all listening tests are subjective! The objectivists just don't seem to get this, or at least they won't admit it. They claim that facts are on their side when all they have are the results of a different kind of subjective listening test. When you appreciate this it makes their arrogance on the matter seem all the more unreasonable.
Old 07-05-12, 02:30 AM
Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
Quite true, but all listening tests are subjective!
How about spot the cable in a blind ABX? Is that subjective or objective?

P.S. If listening tests really are subjective, how come subjective listeners shy away from blind listening tests?
Old 07-05-12, 02:43 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrawomble View Post
how come subjective listeners shy away from blind listening tests?
Who says, generally-speaking, that they do?
Old 07-05-12, 02:55 AM
^'- -'^

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrawomble View Post
How about spot the cable in a blind ABX? Is that subjective or objective?
Subjective, they all are. A different configuration, still just a subjective opinion.

Quote:
If listening tests really are subjective, how come subjective listeners shy away from blind listening tests?
For the same reason that objectivists, or should that be objectionables, dismiss the results of long-term listening, it doesn't give the results they want.

I don't know if mains cables make a difference. I don't really care to be honest. What does bother me is when the objectionables ruin every thread in which others try to have a discussion about something they don't agree with. If they don't think cables make any difference, fine, they are entitled to their opinion. But it's selfish and unhelpful to turn every thread on the subject into repetitive squabble that can never reach consensus or conclusion. I think they hope that by their militant antagonism they can bully others into giving up talking about the subject, or at least make participation in the threads as unattractive as possible. It's nasty.
Old 07-05-12, 03:01 AM
Retired and content.

Chaps

The easiest way to cure the problem of obsessive nerds taking over the forum on cables is to make it compulsory viewing for their wives and children.

The kids would mercilessly take the piss out of them and their wives would almost certainly leave and divorce them.

I suspect that some of them are in fact already divorced and living with their Mum. Their systems complete with wanky cables installed in their little bedroom upstairs. The highlight of their day being when Mum brings them a cup of tea.

Regards

Mick
Old 07-05-12, 03:10 AM
L3 Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by formbypc View Post
Yes we can. Russ Andrews have been doing this for years. Try it at home, if you don't like it, send it back and get your money back.

Since they're still in business, can we assume they don't get too many sent back....?
You missed the sarcasm. There is at least one person on this thread who thinks that after-market mains cables should be banned. In the wider poilitical sphere his vision of Utopia is clearly a rather grotesque authoritarian nanny state where all but the most banal of decisions and choices are denied to the general populace. It is based on a misanthropic premise that human beings are too feckless to be permitted to think for themselves and that a severe curtailment of their freedoms is for their, our, own good.

He would ban the orgasm.

That said he is probably a troll.
Old 07-05-12, 03:24 AM
L3 Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Chaps

The easiest way to cure the problem of obsessive nerds taking over the forum on cables is to make it compulsory viewing for their wives and children.

The kids would mercilessly take the piss out of them and their wives would almost certainly leave and divorce them.

I suspect that some of them are in fact already divorced and living with their Mum. Their systems complete with wanky cables installed in their little bedroom upstairs. The highlight of their day being when Mum brings them a cup of tea.

Regards

Mick
A large collection of fine ale, Belgium beer and locally-brewed lager from Burton springwater amasses itself today with white wine for the ladies. I might even open the Jameson Irish Whiskey, a gift from a staunch objectivist PFMer (who is in fact a perfect gent) who visited last week. The listening sesh should commence about 2ish in the living room.

My wife is aware of the political implications of denying folks a mind of their own and she agrees that the cables in use made a difference having commented herself that the saxaphone on Stacy Kent's Breakfast on the Morning Tram was previously a rather strident and unpleasant assault on the lugholes.
Old 07-05-12, 03:36 AM
^'- -'^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Toy View Post
My wife agrees that the cables made a difference having commented that the saxophone on Stacy Kent's Breakfast on the Morning Tram was previously rather strident and unpleasant
That's the only way in which I figure mains cables could make a difference, by filtering stuff out, removing stuff. I don't see how that can add anything. Certainly the systems I've heard that belonged to people who advocated this 'round earth' approach all sounded rather boring and strangled.

But of course Naim now sell mains cables! Maybe they've found a way to tame their strident boxes at last? ;0)
Old 07-05-12, 03:46 AM
L3 Toy

Quote:
That's the only way in which I figure mains cables could make a difference, by filtering stuff out, removing stuff. I don't see how that can add anything. Certainly the systems I've heard that belonged to people who advocated this 'round earth' approach all sounded rather boring and strangled.

But of course Naim now sell mains cables! Maybe they've found a way to tame their strident boxes at last? ;0)
The cables only strip away glare and noise. The dynamics of the music are actually ameliorated.
Old 07-05-12, 04:02 AM
Man with no Naim or ADM9's

Quote:
That's the only way in which I figure mains cables could make a difference, by filtering stuff out, removing stuff. I don't see how that can add anything.
Very logical. How do 2 plugs and a length of cable filter and what are they filtering? Its best not thought about, just trust your experience. I waiting for my man. 26$ in my hand.
Old 07-05-12, 04:05 AM
Retired and content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Toy View Post
A large collection of fine ale, Belgium beer and locally-brewed lager from Burton springwater amasses itself today with white wine for the ladies. I might even open the Jameson Irish Whiskey, a gift from a staunch objectivist PFMer (who is in fact a perfect gent) who visited last week. The listening sesh should commence about 2ish in the living room.

My wife is aware of the political implications of denying folks a mind of their own and she agrees that the cables in use made a difference having commented herself that the saxaphone on Stacy Kent's Breakfast on the Morning Tram was previously a rather strident and unpleasant assault on the lugholes.
Steven

Everyone has the right to spend their cash on whatever they want. How you test or trial those products is entirely down to you.

It all becomes tiresome when you rant on adnauseum and the other guy does the same in reverse over and over again.

You disagree with each other - so what, do you really care what someone else thinks.

Regards

Mick