pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > off topic

Notices

Old 07-05-12, 12:25 AM
JohnC

Help with making RJ45 cable connections

Hi,

As the title suggests I have decided add more networking points around the house.

This requires the cables to be terminated with an RJ45 at any of the switch point I have, or for patch leads one at each end

For those who have never attempted this you have to slot 8 different coloured wires. in the right order, into 8 holes slightly bigger than the cable.

This means getting 8 twisted pairs placed into a straight line, in the right colour order then threaded into an almost blind connector, ok yes I know they are clear but if you have done it you will know what I mean.

So my question is, before my neighbour starts to complain not only about my HiFi but about my swearing, could someone tell me the secret of making these plugs simply.

Cheers

John

This I saw and thought easy, ha ha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn2GFRppsdI

WRONG, NOT EASY
Old 07-05-12, 12:58 AM
pfm Member

Strip the sheath off the cable back about 30mm. Comb out the 8 wires and get them in order flat between thumb and finger so that you have something like an 8 way ribbon cable. Using scissors or cable shears cut them to a length of about 20mm at an angle of about 15 degrees - this enables you to insert them in the connector and find the wire slots easily. when all the wires are in the right slots - check - push the cable fully home, check that all 8 wires are hard against the end of the connector and that the sheath will be crimped by the cable grip and crimp. Simples! Well, it took me a couple of tries to get reliable but really very easy.
Old 07-05-12, 01:30 AM
leave blank

There is a knack.

As the above says, get them order, and pinch them, you now need to get them straight, to do this use your other hand to grab the wires and kind of wiggle them to tease them straight, hard to explain.

The other thing is patch cable which has a very flexible sheath, is, put mildly a total pain. If the cables are in walls etc you want solid core cable.
Old 07-05-12, 03:12 AM
pfm Member

The outer wires need to be slightly longer, then shorten to the centre pair so that when they are flat splayed in line they all reach the same distance. When you have inserted them in the plug look at the end and you should see all the wire ends hard against the plastic. Don't crimp unless they are all at the ends of the plug.
Old 07-05-12, 03:15 AM
nearly half a clue

Don't rely on your first cut of the conductors to get them the right length. Fan them out as above but not too wide. Then cut cleanly. When you slide them into the terminal housing you will see the end conductors hard up against the end of the hole. If not trim the long one/ones. Mine have been reliable for ages and I am a ham fisted twonk.

It's easy to make a tester, just wire each pair up on a socket and use a dmm to check continuity from the other end of the wire. Or buy one for 15.00 or what ever.

oops, as he said above.
Old 07-05-12, 03:37 AM
JohnC

Hi,

Thanks for all the above, I am swear free now

I think the trick is when you have them fanned out to cut them with scissors or cable shears to get them straight.

I have done a few now using the above advice and they are all fine, I have a cable tester so easy to check any kind of connection.

There is a knack, once a couple had been done it seemed easy, but I am sure in 6 months when I expand the system I will start the swearing again

Cheers

John
Old 07-05-12, 06:23 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebroughty View Post
Hi,

Thanks for all the above, I am swear free now

I think the trick is when you have them fanned out to cut them with scissors or cable shears to get them straight.

I have done a few now using the above advice and they are all fine, I have a cable tester so easy to check any kind of connection.

There is a knack, once a couple had been done it seemed easy, but I am sure in 6 months when I expand the system I will start the swearing again

Cheers

John
I do it the same way, most of the time they just slot in but you get the occasional one where the wires insist on crossing over when you push them in
Old 07-05-12, 12:42 PM
leave blank

No once they are fanned on then you apply the wiggle which brings them all into line nice a dead straight.

Its really hard to explain, but basically have that fan between thumb and forefinger then 'massage' from left to right and they sort of come together, then you trim then you put into plug.

I got shown the method by a network guy and its very easy when you see it in practice.