pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > classic

Notices

Old 16-07-17, 12:10 PM
CDP3000 1Hz-20kHz 0.5dB

I haven't tried it with speakers yet because I can't be arsed - yet! I'll get around tuit when I can be arsed to unclip the wires leading to the big old Baker 12" whizzer-coned jobbies from the back of the 3020 that is just here (reaches out and affectionately taps the ugly duckling that cost 2) and clip 'em into the back of the Proton just there (gently kicks it with a toe), along with rejigging the pre-out/main-in arrangement again (seeing as I have reset everything to its standard bewildering complexity of spaghetti stretched between multiple amplifiers and too many sources scattered liberally along one side of the room).

I don't think it's just a dirty switch as all the line inputs (DAD, Video, and Tuner on the rotary selector as well as Tape on a separate push button) have the same fault. It needs the lid off again and a proper looking at now that I know that it is not a dead power stage. This stereo system could do with being tidied up a little. In the meantime, I think it's now time for some ZZ Top through too many loudspeakers at once. Sod the Proms.
Old 17-07-17, 04:04 AM
CDP3000 1Hz-20kHz 0.5dB

The fault is not the rotary input selector. After perusing the wiring diagram (which shows a purely passive input set of sockets, pcb traces, a multi-way switch, and a 1k resistor immediately before Tape Rec out), I have two CD players connected to it, thence Tape Rec out to a line input on the 3020, and working fine as a fancy external switch box. It does mean the source is driving through 1k, but that is not an issue when the receiving end is several tens of k. The Proton is not even plugged in to the mains.

If the source has a variable output level then it would be possible to bypass the active preamp circuitry entirely by using any of the three non-tape line-inputs through rec-out direct to main-in. Which reminds me (he says, looking at the mahoosive box right in front of him), my Emerson tuner does indeed have such a control, appropriately enough labelled OUTPUT LEVEL, conveniently situated on its front panel.

I am a tad suspicious that the delay circuit (to prevent switch-on thumps etc.) might not be behaving correctly. A failed FET in one channel immediately before Pre-Out would explain things...
Old 20-07-17, 05:56 AM
CDP3000 1Hz-20kHz 0.5dB

The fault might be partly the rotary input selector... but is not only that. Connecting a tt to the phono input has revealed that aforesaid switchgear is a piece of carp and lent extra support to the thesis that no power is being supplied to any part of the preamp electronics Right channel which remains stubbornly silent. Left channel can be made to work unreliably but seems best when "lodged" just before the correct click position. It might make a decent stage for a mono cartridge.