pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > off topic

Notices

Old 21-04-17, 03:59 AM
certified Buffologist / mod

I know sycophantic is a word because on that Simpsons episode when Mr. Burns sold the power plant to a group of Germans the next scene was of Smithers learning sycophantic German.

You looken sharpen todayen, mein Herr.

Joe
Old 21-04-17, 04:07 AM
Who loves ya costermonger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
I know sycophantic is a word because on that Simpsons episode when Mr. Burns sold the power plant to a group of Germans the next scene was of Smithers learning sycophantic German.

Joe
It's also used on the Velvet Underground track 'The Murder Mystery':

'To Rembrandt and Oswald
To peanuts and ketchup
Sanctimonious sycophants stir in the bushes
Up to the stand with your foot on the bible
As king I must order and constantly arouse
If you swear to catch up and throw up and up up
A king full of virgin kiss me and spin it
Excuse to willow and wander dark wonders
Divest me of robes-sutures Harry and pig meat
The fate of a nation, rests hard on your bosoms
The king on his throne, puts his hand down his robe
The torture of inverse and silk screen and Harry
And set the tongue squealing the reverse and inverse'.

Which makes perfect sense, of course.
Old 21-04-17, 04:14 AM
Cibo Matto can clog dance?

The Shorter Oxford includes sycophantish as an acceptable adjective. i.e. to be somewhat like a sycophant. I find this refreshing as it smacks of Generation X, valley-speak and whedonesque dialogue becoming mainstream.

Note: whedonesque is not yet a word commonly adopted by lexicographers. So please use it as often as possible.

Last edited by Jonathan Ribee; 21-04-17 at 05:09 AM. Reason: missed an h
Old 21-04-17, 04:24 AM
pfm Member

Well, this thead has taken a pleasing detour. 'Sycophantic' is a lovely word to say. So too, oddly, are 'obsequious' and 'toady'.
Old 21-04-17, 05:03 AM
Mr Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassor View Post
The vote in favour of an election was somewhere in the region of 500 so Labour's stance would not have changed anything. If Labour did not agree they would have been seen as hypocritical and/or afraid.
The vote needed a two-thirds majority in favour.

If Labour and SNP had voted together against that would have been 44% of the MPs against a vote.

I agree with you though that the press would have vilified them. So what? You think they won't be anyhow?

May is not afraid to appear afraid.

Stephen
Old 21-04-17, 05:05 AM
Mr Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxflinn View Post
I believe Corbyn wants a shot at no 10.

They couldn't really back out anyway without looking pathetic.
... which the press will say Corbyn is anyhow at every turn. I suspect the majority of people in the UK are not desperate for another election.

Stephen
Old 21-04-17, 05:17 AM
pfm Member

I see Gina Miller is crowdfunding a tactical voting campaign for a soft Brexit.

https://www.gofundme.com/whats-best-for-britain

I have great admiration for Ms Miller, but if Theresa May is seeking a bigger majority to override the Redwood/IDS lunatic fringe then a reduced or unchanged Tory majority might backfire ?
Old 21-04-17, 05:37 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean99 View Post
I see Gina Miller is crowdfunding a tactical voting campaign for a soft Brexit.

https://www.gofundme.com/whats-best-for-britain

I have great admiration for Ms Miller, but if Theresa May is seeking a bigger majority to override the Redwood/IDS lunatic fringe then a reduced or unchanged Tory majority might backfire ?
It's not clearcut. If the DM is to be believed, the Tory manifesto will promise hard Brexit.

Good article from Alan Moore (yes, him!) here:

http://momentumnorthants.org.uk/alan-moore-statement/

I don't agree with everything he says but I strongly identify with his comments about his parents (which mirror my experience).
Old 21-04-17, 05:50 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droodzilla View Post
It's not clearcut. If the DM is to be believed, the Tory manifesto will promise hard Brexit.

I don't agree with everything he says but I strongly identify with his comments about his parents (which mirror my experience).
Very nice post. I don't think that Nulabour were as bad as he says, and principles are not so valuable without power, but he writes very eloquently.

I think Corbyn's wing of the labour party would be more popular if more people could remember a time before the NHS.
Old 21-04-17, 05:57 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxflinn View Post
What you fail to see/accept Gassor is that the drop in support for Corbyn's labour is directly proportional to the severity of the right-wing/Blairite/media slur campaign against him.

On the morning of the Brexit result polls showed that Labour were very close to the Tories. Then it all kicked off with the carefully choreographed live on air resignations and so on...
There may bave been a blip in the polls showing Labour very close to Tory, but to make any real headway in terms of forming a government they would have needed to be a good bit ahead.

From the start Corbyn has been well short of the kind of support needed to become a PM.

Quote:
The most obvious point is that YouGov’s latest poll (in 2015) shows that Corbyn is the first new opposition leader to have a negative initial rating. With two, Michael Foot and Iain Duncan Smith, the positive and negative scores were in balance. Everyone else started out with a positive score
At present he is nearly as unpopular with the UK electorate as Trump and Putin. To blame this on a right wing media is ridiculously condescending to the public at large. People read the papers that reflect their interests and views but are not so vacuous as to believe everything they read. You don't, so why do you think everyone else is so different?
Old 21-04-17, 06:08 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Absolutely. I've posted a chart of Labour's average poll ratings since Corbyn was elected leader (for the first time) at least twice. It shows a slight but unambiguous trend upwards in support for Labour until the "coup" after the EU referendum last year, when there is a catastrophic drop of about 10 percentage points. Yet the very architects of the coup have the nerve to blame Corbyn for Labour's poor showing in the polls.

I could search for the chart and post it again but, since none of the people who criticise Corbyn bothered to reply the first two times (I wonder why?), I'll save my energy.
There were a few months when Labour was equalling the Tories, but it did not last long. The overall picture is one of Labour falling well below the Tories since Corbyn took over (when any opposition worth it's salt is well ahead due to mid term blues)

The overall picture is clearly set out below in this article chart.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0d45ff8723600

It's in the Huff Post as well.
Old 21-04-17, 06:23 AM
pfm Member

Quote:

Fine article put up by Momentum. There is a picture/poster of Alan Moore on FB asking people to vote Labour.

Jack
Old 21-04-17, 06:27 AM
pfm Member

Quote:

A stunning portrait at the top of that column, which matches well with the fluid vividness of the prose.
Old 21-04-17, 06:28 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassor View Post
There were a few months when Labour was equalling the Tories, but it did not last long. The overall picture is one of Labour falling well below the Tories since Corbyn took over (when any opposition worth it's salt is well ahead due to mid term blues)

The overall picture is clearly set out below in this article chart.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0d45ff8723600

It's in the Huff Post as well.
Here's an easier to see version of the same data:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...short_axis.png

Funny how we interpret things differently. Putting it as neutrally as possible, I see a narrowing of the gap between Sep 2015 and May 2016 (the early months of Corbyn's leadership). Looking at the timing, my guess is this is down to the Tax Credits debacle which Owen Smith (ironically) did a good job of pinning on the Tories. Given the unprecedented levels of venom, lies, slurs, misrepresentation and hatred directed at Corbyn from all quarters (including some in the PLP) it's something of a miracle Labour support held up at all, let alone rallied.

Then there's a sharp decline in support as the party falls apart after the EU referendum. There is room for debate about where the responsibility for that lies - personally I feel it was deeply and unforgivably irresponsible for the right of the PLP to seek to undermine Corbyn at atime when the whole of the Labour Party should have been metaphorically kicking the shit out of th Tories. The decline has continued to this day but (things can only get better?) surely will bottom out soon.

It's a sorry picture and something needs to change. I hope the GE will provide the catalyst for that change, whatever the result.
Old 21-04-17, 06:29 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuixote99 View Post
A stunning portrait at the top of that column, which matches well with the fluid vividness of the prose.
The page header is a bit odd: all you can see is Corbyn's beard.