pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > classic

Notices

Old 21-03-17, 02:11 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony L View Post
I've just stuck the Decca headshell back in, not to play, just to see if the microphonic behaviour in the arm rest has changed at all now the arm is further forward in its slide-base, and it hasn't. It is still insanely microphonic, e.g. picking up footfall at normal listening level etc.
I don't see any way this can be normal.

I'd talk to John Wright, and perhaps search for an accommodation with the seller if the cart needs work.

Paul
Old 21-03-17, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Just checked with the Croft and it is just as microphonic as with the Quad.
Old 21-03-17, 02:22 PM
Learning to bodge again..

Sounds sensible,but if it needs to go back to John Wright for any reason that should be at sellers cost, not yours
Old 22-03-17, 03:44 AM
Imagineer

Hmm, that's a real shame Tony.

On the subject of not immediately being knocked out by this particular Decca, IME they do take a little bit of setting up before they work at their best and so unless you are listening to an established setup, what you initially get is a glimpse of what they can do, and hopefully that's enough to spur you on.

String quartets are probably not their forte although that's not to say that they can't make a decent job of one (I think Charlie keeps his Alaerts/Schroeder for String Quartets though).

Hopefully you will persevere and resolve this - it's a shame that you are not a bit closer.
Old 22-03-17, 05:27 AM
Tapehead

I've run 2 Deccas over the years though both later London models, the SG and Garrot Microscanner. Both were a fair bit more microphonic than a 'normal' cartridge but still acceptable in this regard.

The design is quite immune to loading variation within reason - like a Grado in this respect so should work well into just about any MM stage.
Old 22-03-17, 09:19 AM
Bulbous Also Tapered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post

String quartets are probably not their forte although that's not to say that they can't make a decent job of one (I think Charlie keeps his Alaerts/Schroeder for String Quartets though).
Hmm, I was sold on the Gold when I heard it sail through the Ravel and Debussy quartets (Quartetto Italiano, on Philips LP). As I recall it was a Vestigal arm on a Luxman turntable, Luxman tube preamp, and a pair of Acoustat X self-powered electrostatic speakers, at a dealer in Oklahoma in the 1970s. I still don't think I've heard the pizzicato in the 2nd movement of the Ravel done better.
Old 22-03-17, 02:53 PM
Administrator

After some thought I've gone for the return option, the seller seems very decent and accepted immediately so I'll pop it in the post tomorrow. Sorry to see it go really. I may try revisiting Deccas sometime later, but I think I'll go the FFSS arm and head route if I do.
Old 23-03-17, 03:01 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony L View Post
After some thought I've gone for the return option, the seller seems very decent and accepted immediately so I'll pop it in the post tomorrow. Sorry to see it go really. I may try revisiting Deccas sometime later, but I think I'll go the FFSS arm and head route if I do.
How much did you pay for it? Do you know if it will be relisted - tempted...
Old 23-03-17, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemHayward View Post
How much did you pay for it? Do you know if it will be relisted - tempted...
I paid 575. The seller apparently had the same issue with microphony but thought it was his deck, he says he is now going to send it back to John Wright so will find out one way or another.

FWIW I am convinced this example has an issue. I'd never argue a TD-124 with a 3009, however immaculate and lovingly serviced/restored, was the quietest deck in the world, especially in a world with things like Charlie's amazing Verdier in it, but the levels of noise I was getting were just way beyond ridiculous. It was actually quite interesting, like using a very high-power stethoscope on the 124 to highlight previously hidden issues and it made me realise I do have floor breakthrough issues even though I can't hear anything with any normal functioning cartridge. I may eventually consider wall-mounting as even if these issues are say 30-40db lower with my usual cartridge and way down in the usual vinyl noise-floor they clearly exist to some extent, as does a small degree of typical idler rumble.
Old 23-03-17, 03:20 PM
pfm Member

Maybe I should get my Blue rebuilt, but I'm not sure it's rebuildable...
Old 23-03-17, 03:21 PM
pfm Member

Tony,
I've had 2 TD124/IIs over the years, both of which have sported my Garrott Bros Decca Gold on my vintage Hadcock. I would say that my Decca/TD124 usage must have exceeded 15 years. I didn't have any issues with microphony and had a Verdier Control B preamp too at one point with this set up.
Charlie
Old 23-03-17, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemHayward View Post
Maybe I should get my Blue rebuilt, but I'm not sure it's rebuildable...
Given John Wright makes the things from scratch I'd have thought any Decca was rebuildable assuming the case is ok. I know he can rewire the coils etc.