pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > d.i.y.

Notices

Old 19-07-17, 11:49 PM
Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontoolsie View Post
The Naim resistors are specced as 1% tolerance (see diagram below). But based on upgrading resistors in other Naim products-the Superline for instance-there are great potential improvements out there.

Here is the circuit the analog portion of CDS3-showing exactly where these resistors could be upgraded and the values of them.
And what effect does one of them being, let's say, 1010 ohm instead of 1000 ohm have on the functioning of the circuit (in your view)?
Old 20-07-17, 01:26 AM
pfm Member

I'm curious, what is the identity of those very small 47uF "Oil filled capacitors" with such a wide manufacturing tolerance?
Old 20-07-17, 07:32 AM
pfm Member

The original gold colored caps (which are small, but NOT the oil filled ones) are French Promisic ones. I do not know what the measured values were some twelve years ago, but certainly with the passage of time they are about -40%. They are supposed to be pretty decent audio caps, yet replacing them yielded fairly profound improvements.

They are also scattered throughout the 552 for instance, so maybe that too can be subject to the same mods.
Old 21-07-17, 05:42 AM
Trade: Witch Hat Audio

Those 47uF caps are bipolar electrolytics. Naim like the sound of them, there's no need for their bipolar capability in pretty much all the circuits they're used in. Other caps are available, YMMV.
Old 21-07-17, 06:19 AM
pfm Member

From another source...

Sic Safco Promisic CO31 47uF 40v axial electrolytic capacitors - applications - Naim pre-amps and crossovers - NAC52, NAC82, SNAXO, NAXO, NAC552, NAC252, NAC282

So it looks like they are really found in their higher end equipment. I wonder if the negative effect they had on the sound was more being wildly out of spec, or just their sonic trait? Are these routinely replaced when gear is serviced/recapped?
Old 22-07-17, 05:53 AM
pfm Member

Missing images added

I have gone back and restored all of the dead images all the way back to the very first post of this thread. This will enable new readers to get a better idea of what has been done so far.

In addition...here is a pic of the CDS3 head unit showing most (about 16) of the Cardas bypass caps that were fitted years ago.

Last edited by rontoolsie; 22-07-17 at 06:37 AM.
Old 23-07-17, 03:17 AM
Pulls on doors marked push

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontoolsie View Post
From another source...

Sic Safco Promisic CO31 47uF 40v axial electrolytic capacitors - applications - Naim pre-amps and crossovers - NAC52, NAC82, SNAXO, NAXO, NAC552, NAC252, NAC282

So it looks like they are really found in their higher end equipment. I wonder if the negative effect they had on the sound was more being wildly out of spec, or just their sonic trait? Are these routinely replaced when gear is serviced/recapped?
I had a new mech and service done at Naim earlier this year. The invoice specified the replacement of capacitors (can't remember the exact number, but might have been 30+); so yes, they are replaced.