pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 22-07-17, 10:24 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimF View Post
Nice, are these horns home made or project, or a brand that is already out there? Regardless, sounds like they are doing the right stuff for you.

Funny you mention the image height thing, that too is one of the things I like about the Larsen, they do well in this respect, where a lot of speakers, especially smaller monitor types fail. I do realize image height and things like this are related to the recording and those effects, but....

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ith-Fostex-208

Nearest I've seen commercially were smaller with lesser drivers, 10K dollars so methinks I got something of a bargain:-)
Old 22-07-17, 11:15 PM
pfm Member

I currently use Shahinian Compass 2s about 6" from the wall behind them and find they retain their unique soundstage presentation and the bass doesn't boom. Had some a while ago in a smaller room with the same results.
Old 23-07-17, 03:12 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si74 View Post
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ith-Fostex-208

Nearest I've seen commercially were smaller with lesser drivers, 10K dollars so methinks I got something of a bargain:-)
Those may the Tune Audio Primes I've got, the driver is the same as yours just the smaller version but the tweeter is the top of the range one.

I've been really impressed with the fostex drivers, my horns use a full range FE168EZ but crossover to the FT96H horn-loaded supertweeter at 7khz and then manage to squeeze in 2.5 metres of horn.

Old 23-07-17, 06:23 AM
pfm Member

Have to admit when I auditioned these I was less than impressed but turns out they had been driven with a flea powered amp and I doubt the drivers were anything like burnt in. Were a tad harsh for a few months but now sound glorious on the end of my Audiopax 88s.
Old 23-07-17, 06:33 AM
pfm Member

I was using mine with a very good 8W 300b amp and the difference going to a class A solid state amp was phenomenal, feedback from other TA Prime owners is they also use SS to sound their best with FirstWatt, Grandinote and Modwright being the best.

I'm going to try a Modwright kwi200 next week to see if it's better than the Sugden (I suspect it will be)

Might be worth trying yours with some SS as well.
Old 23-07-17, 07:33 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski View Post
The Response 1sc has a rear port and most definitely doesn’t work right in the corners.
Looking through my brochures, it seems that the R2S and R2.5 also had rear ports as well as the R1sc
Old 23-07-17, 07:48 AM
pfm Member

Interesting design Si, those are some tall and rather room dominating cabinets! Enjoy!
Out of my brain on the 5:15
Old 23-07-17, 01:51 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
I was using mine with a very good 8W 300b amp and the difference going to a class A solid state amp was phenomenal, feedback from other TA Prime owners is they also use SS to sound their best with FirstWatt, Grandinote and Modwright being the best.

I'm going to try a Modwright kwi200 next week to see if it's better than the Sugden (I suspect it will be)

Might be worth trying yours with some SS as well.
I sold my Pass Labs X-250 which I loved to fund the 30w Audiopax 88s. Given some of my mates can be brutal with the volume, I don't think the horns would have lasted long:-)
I get your drift but the Pax were my last ever buy and can take the windows out of the room if not careful so I'll rest easy with what I've got
p.s. the Grandinote are well named, wouldn't pay that for a car, let alone an amp.
Old 24-07-17, 12:44 AM
PT1-Whest2-42.5-AI2nd-Snell

Quote:
I’m hoping they weren’t the avantgarde’s on eBay
Why's that? Are they no good or have you had your eye on them?
Old 24-07-17, 01:34 PM
pfm Member

Astronomically overpriced.

From what I understand the early ones are ok but the bass is a bit disconnected from the mids, browellm has some and knows quite a bit about the different models but I do fancy trying some one day.
Old 24-07-17, 01:58 PM

PMCs are not too fussy about placement.
Old 26-07-17, 04:39 AM
pfm Member

Depending on size
Kans, Saras or Isobariks.
They insist on being as close to a wall as possible

Isobariks in corners don't sound good to me though
Old Yesterday, 12:11 AM

I have used Tannoy Revolution signatures firing out of corners, 10cm from walls. The front ported design is most likely helping here, but maybe there is something to be said for dual concentric in this corner configuration that works.