pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 21-04-17, 03:49 AM
pfm Member

When it came to buying a CD player I ended up with a sony CDP 561e...old CD players have mechanisms and build dedicated to playing CDs, so they tend to be ultra responsive, the 561e for example has 20 buttons for instant track selection, display off, full function remote, headphone socket and variable/fixed output, fader, instant response seeking, etc etc! Cost 30 delivered. Modern CD players on the 'budget end' seem utterly weak in comparison to older CD players, many seem to use DVD type transports and are frankly slow in operation as a result. That they cost so much compared to superior older players, whilst being so compromised and functionally lacking in themselves, has led me to disregard all modern budget CD players as chronically depreciating landfill.
Old 21-04-17, 05:34 AM
pfm Member

Where's the fault? Does the digital out still work?? Just wondering if you could use it as a transport. My 965 Discrete is running through a MF DAC and sounds fantastic. I don't doubt there's better out there, I just haven't heard it.
Old 21-04-17, 08:39 AM
pfm Member

Just in case people are interested the CA CXC transport is reduced by 50 at Richer Sounds. At 299 it may be very good value with the right Dac.
Old 22-04-17, 09:37 AM

Quick update but first thanks for all the input, it's good to know that the old thing is still well regarded.
I was leaning towards buying a DAC to see if I could use the 965 as a transport, if that didn't work then getting a transport.
I switched the system on today and for some reason decided to try the 965 again... it's now working on both channels! I will see how it goes.

Regards

Chas.
Old 22-04-17, 02:58 PM
Registered Ginga

You've probably got a dry joint somewhere in the analogue section.
Old 24-04-17, 12:00 PM
pfm Member

There's also an Arcam Alpha 5+, Avondale modded, in the classified section. highly recommended.