pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 13-09-17, 09:43 AM
pfm Member

I started with mains then moved onto interconnects.

Upgraded as cheap as I could usually on Ebay.

Happy to have you hear my system with various in and out if you can make it to North West Surrey.

Other alternatives : Go to a dealer that will let you try and return if not happy.
MCRU and Russ Andrews just 2
Old 13-09-17, 09:49 AM
pfm Member

I started on speakers, then interconnects and finally onto mains.

I'm now cured.
Old 13-09-17, 09:57 AM
Can you hear Talvin Singh?

Even my wife, who doesn't normally notice these things, said 'You spent how much?!!!
Old 13-09-17, 10:31 AM
pfm Member

Synergistic Research Black fuse......

I'll just leave that there.
Old 13-09-17, 10:32 AM
Can you hear Talvin Singh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSPL View Post
Synergistic Research Black fuse......

I'll just leave that there.
Careful, someone might tread on it.
Old 13-09-17, 10:39 AM
koteka curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hutch View Post
Even my wife, who doesn't normally notice these things, said 'You spent how much?!!!
Word to the wise: they can't handle the truth.
ime same goes for records.
Old 13-09-17, 11:15 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandryka View Post
Hello everyone

I have, I think, a moderate quality if old fashioned system - Quad ESL 63 /Gradiant for speakers, input is via a Museatex idat44 (modified) (the music streams through a squeezebox), amplification is all Quad, a Quad 44 (modified) and a Quad 520f. I listen to classical music - mostly harpsichord and organ and small vocal groups in fact.

I have never investigated leads. Right now I'm using very cheap stuff - bought mostly with no thought at all, from Maplin or the lowest price eBay products.

I'd like to explore the impact of better leads. Where is the best place to begin - power, interconnects (which?) or speaker cable? Any suggestions for a good brand to try? One that won't cost me an arm and a leg, but will give me a sense of what can be achieved by upgrading this area of my system.
Some helpful advice....

Ditch this thread, buy some, either second hand or on a return basis & decide yourself, this thread will only cause you further problems

If you want to start out with mains leads I would advise to start here https://mcru.co.uk/
Start with the cheapest no need to go higher
Signal cables, go second hand, lots on Ebay to choose from, Chord is a good start.

You could be sorted for very little outlay if you look around.
No harm done then.
Old 13-09-17, 12:16 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hutch View Post
Careful, someone might tread on it.

Old 13-09-17, 12:20 PM
pfm Member

I get the impression cables are somewhat system dependent so your best bet is to keep it cheap or try stuff on loan until you find something that works or you lose the urge to try another cable. ESLs probably respond differently to dynamic speakers in any case so advice based on experience with the latter will be of little use.
Old 13-09-17, 01:10 PM

Thanks for all these comments.

i hope you won't think it's rude if I ask again a question I asked at the start. It's aimed really at the people who think that cables can improve sound.

Is the most obvious benefit with mains, interconnects, speaker cable or doesn't it matter? I want to know where to start!
Old 13-09-17, 01:23 PM
pfm Member

Quote:

Is the most obvious benefit with mains, interconnects, speaker cable or doesn't it matter? I want to know where to start!
The Qed cables are OK. Iīve tryed a few power cords, but I didnīt like the results, nothing wrong with the standard power cords.The Qed XT 40 speaker cable is a fine speaker cable. You can try a QED IC for 50 or 60Ģ. I donīt believe in expensive cables, Qed are not so expensive, but you havea few others, like Blue Jeans or Mark Grant like others suggest you.Or you could try the second hand market, so you can try the cables and sell if you donīt like it.
Old 13-09-17, 01:41 PM
./_dazed_and_confused

Look at what canford audio have, they are popular with the music industry, so if it's good enough for a recording studio it should be good enough for your hi-fi. Prices are sensible IIRC.
Old 13-09-17, 01:49 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Thanks for all these comments.

i hope you won't think it's rude if I ask again a question I asked at the start. It's aimed really at the people who think that cables can improve sound.

Find a dealer who'll let you try some stuff on a sale or return basis.

I'm not much of a fan of mix & match, it can be done and done very well but probably easier to stick to one manufacturer while experimenting initially.

If I were you I'd start with a set of power cables from the same manufacturer, one on each main bit of kit and also on any distribution block you use.

I'd say wire the system with those power cables, leave them be for a week or so then switch back to whatever freebies you were using before and see if you miss them. Personally I'm not a fan of the 30 second A/B stuff, partly because it's a pain in the arse - you're supposed to be chilling out listening to some music – and partly because what differences do show up are rarely those of any real significance in the longer term.

If you try that and don't make anything of it, then pack them up and send them back and it's cost you just a few hours of your time.
Old 13-09-17, 03:15 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purite Audio View Post
There will be no improvement there may be the very slightest difference.
Keith
So a difference can never be an improvement? Nor, by extrapolation of this sentence, be worse, I guess. Weird thinking.
Old 13-09-17, 03:29 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzywong View Post
And they're off and running............and as they head down the back straight, it's Usual-suspects in the lead with It-won't-make-a-difference a strong second......I've-tried-many-cables and Night-and-day are chasing the leaders. You-must-be-imagining-it is still lurking at the back, waiting to make his (or her) move, but no need to panic just yet, there's a long way to go - at least fifty pages!
and coming up on the outside it's Double Blind Test