pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 10-01-17, 10:02 AM
Trade: Tiger Paw

Quote:
Originally Posted by windhoek View Post
I'll still give it a try for not only do I have a spare, crackly record at hand, I've got a spare turntable with a basic cartridge and if the whole lot ends up in a skip, then so be it. I'm prepared to take one for the team as it were. I'll use my RCM before and after treatment to minimise the risk, but I'll give it a try nonetheless.
I imagine that it may provide a temporary improvement but once it dries out it will leave a residue, partly from itself but may bind dirt and other matter in to the groove.
Old 10-01-17, 10:08 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by divedeepdog View Post
Unscrupulous record dealers wipe with lighter fluid 'Look how clean n shiny this old record is !'

I wouldn't touch WD40 with a record either
lighter fluid ought to be fine. I'm an art dealer and have never had a problem using the stuff to clean plexiglas (perspex) and other acrylics. I use WD40 for all manner of mechanical things too - but I wouldn't assume automatically that it wouldn't work. I think it's probably not wise if i were forced to a decision though. I strongly suspect that the effect that the guy is demonstrating in the youtube clip has to do with residual water (and oil) in the grooves - abating the noise somewhat.
Old 10-01-17, 10:12 AM
pfm Member

For those who do not know or have not looked it up, WD-40 is basically a mix of two mineral oils. One is a heavy oil that does not evaporate - I have never boiled WD-40 so can't say precisely how thick, but let's say motor engine oil. the other is a very light, volatile oil that the heavier one mixes with.
The way it works is that the very light mixture is sprayed on, being light/thin it penetrates well, the light oil then evaporates and leaves a very thin film of heavy oil everywhere that it has penetrated.
As it has dewatering properties, the heavy oil is probably modified, in a similar way to lithium grease - in the case of lithium grease, the lithium (a metal) bonds well to other metals, and so "holds" the grease in place, on the other metal, as at least a thin film.

Whatever - wonderful stuff for making some really great kack when you add a bit of general dust.
Old 10-01-17, 10:19 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdog View Post
Windows 10
Haha, an actual lol left my lips when I read that
Old 10-01-17, 10:33 AM

WD40? Nah, Brasso's far more effective - utter silence after 3 applications.
Old 10-01-17, 09:21 PM
Keep Music Vile

WD40 is the ONLY thing that will remove all traces of marijuana residue from your hands after harvesting your bud.
Old 10-01-17, 11:59 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwelljsly View Post
WD40 is the ONLY thing that will remove all traces of marijuana residue from your hands after harvesting your bud.
Well, stone me ! Bet it makes a hash of things, though. I nearly weed myself, reading that !
Old 11-01-17, 01:06 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwelljsly View Post
Never knew that.

Bloss

PS:WD40 also good for cleaning S/S splashbacks.
Old 11-01-17, 02:55 AM
Trade: Tiger Paw

Apparently you should be careful of it with electrics/electronics as whilst it will disperse water it can break down electrical contacts. Or something like that.
Old 11-01-17, 03:52 AM
Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPA View Post
Apparently you should be careful of it with electrics/electronics as whilst it will disperse water it can break down electrical contacts. Or something like that.
Long-term it will actually absorb and retain water. Not good.
Old 11-01-17, 11:22 AM
pfm Member

Just in case anyone is interested the 'oil' sold as 'WD40' isn't for half the 1000's of uses it has been touted to be for. A clever bit of marketing really. WD40 is actually a cutting oil, designed to keep cutting bits cool and clean as they make their way through billet aluminium/steel or whatever. Is is not a true lubricant and a large proportion evaporates off-so that tells you something about it's actual chemical makeup

So I wouldn' use it in any place you want long term lubrication, and as for an LP..................
Old 11-01-17, 12:50 PM
pfm Member

Barmy idea- I would guess it to be detrimental to both your record and the deck!
Old 11-01-17, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Just in case anyone is interested the 'oil' sold as 'WD40' isn't for half the 1000's of uses it has been touted to be for. A clever bit of marketing really. WD40 is actually a cutting oil, designed to keep cutting bits cool and clean as they make their way through billet aluminium/steel or whatever. Is is not a true lubricant and a large proportion evaporates off-so that tells you something about it's actual chemical makeup

So I wouldn' use it in any place you want long term lubrication, and as for an LP..................
...or lubricating bike chains - it does a fair job of cleaning them though. I find the assertion that most of what gets put out on the web as being true to be laughably naive. Oh yes, if you want to speed up your PC - just move your mouse in a circular movement. One thing about the web apart from propagating dubious info is to offload HOAXs.
Old 11-01-17, 02:59 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post

so i'm not ruining my drill bits then?
Old 11-01-17, 03:01 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by busb View Post
...or lubricating bike chains - it does a fair job of cleaning them though. I find the assertion that most of what gets put out on the web as being true to be laughably naive. Oh yes, if you want to speed up your PC - just move your mouse in a circular movement. One thing about the web apart from propagating dubious info is to offload HOAXs.
around the 'turn of the century' (this one not that one) - there was a woman here in los angeles would would charge you USD 400 or so to come and rearrange your desktop icons according to the rules of the Feng-Shui... brilliant. Nice job if you can get it.