pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 02-07-16, 09:03 AM
pfm Member

How much would one have to spend to make a meaningful step up from the Cambridge 651 (for MM)?
Old 02-07-16, 11:25 AM
Not RoHS Compliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperhauser View Post
How much would one have to spend to make a meaningful step up from the Cambridge 651 (for MM)?
In my case it was probably around 150 in parts, going the DIY route with Rod Elliot's phono stage.

Last edited by DavidY80; 02-07-16 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-07-16, 11:50 AM
Doing his best...mostly

Arkless.
Old 02-07-16, 12:17 PM
pfm Member

Goldmund PH2
Old 03-07-16, 01:30 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperhauser View Post
If staying with MM cartridges, the njc stage is excellent. I believe it would be a very large upgrage from the Cambridge 651 (good though the 651 is at its price point).

The NJC stage costs 495GBP, but I believe they only ship within the UK.

http://www.njc-audio.co.uk/html/phonopreamp.html
Old 03-07-16, 10:30 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx502 View Post
The NJC stage costs 495GBP, but I believe they only ship within the UK.
Looks quite nice, but you are correct about UK only.
Old 03-07-16, 11:12 AM
100% Analogue

You certainly can't complain about the parts quality with the NJC - I don't think I've ever heard it though:

Old 03-07-16, 04:28 PM
pfm Member

Phono Clone.... love it.
Old 04-07-16, 06:36 PM
pfm Member

FWIW the ones that I've noticed coming up consistently from this group were:

1) Arkless 640/651 Turbo or Turbo++. I realize there was at one point some bloodshed on this issue but people seemed to really love the product.

2) The Paradise which, if I'm not mistaken Simon built like 10 of. They are supposed to be great. Certainly some of the pictures would indicate a serious phono stage, again, never heard it.

My question to you guys with experiences on the above was what about the:

3) Firebottle

It something designed in a similar vein (not technically, but spiritually) as another DIY project somewhere else out there in the Ether-Sphere-Webs and I'm curious how it stacks up to these.

I can only speak for my own DV P-75 which, I think is quite good and having gone up to the Mk. 3 now they are really quite solid.
Old 04-07-16, 11:39 PM
pfm Member

I think you'll find Simon has built at least 16 to my knowledge as my one was no14.
It is a very serious phono stage but you have to have 4 boxes a la Naim 110. It's a mono format with a dedicated power supply per channel, easily out classing my previous phono stage Whest Audio 30R.

Simon once told me that a friend of his had a Tom Evans top of the range phono stage circa 10K and there wasn't much in it.

Regards,

Martin
Old 05-07-16, 02:20 AM
100% Analogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckyamson View Post
FWIW the ones that I've noticed coming up consistently from this group were:

1) Arkless 640/651 Turbo or Turbo++. I realize there was at one point some bloodshed on this issue but people seemed to really love the product.

2) The Paradise which, if I'm not mistaken Simon built like 10 of. They are supposed to be great. Certainly some of the pictures would indicate a serious phono stage, again, never heard it.

My question to you guys with experiences on the above was what about the:

3) Firebottle

It something designed in a similar vein (not technically, but spiritually) as another DIY project somewhere else out there in the Ether-Sphere-Webs and I'm curious how it stacks up to these.

I can only speak for my own DV P-75 which, I think is quite good and having gone up to the Mk. 3 now they are really quite solid.
I've had all of the above in my system*.

The Arkless punches well above its weight and, in character, isn't dissimilar to the Dynavector (I've also heard a more ambitious 'scratch built' phonostage from Arkless that was really very good and significantly better than either the Dynavector or the modified 640/651). The Firebottle had enough gain for my 0.2mV cartridge but wasn't quiet enough. As a result dynamic was compromised and tonal shading/character was uneven. In short, it didn't work for me. However, someone used the same unit after me with a MM cartridge and really liked it so YMMV (not really suitable for very low output MCs I would say). The Paradise is a different thing to all three of the above and significantly better in every regard. You need to look at stages like the Vida for competition (I've also had that at home).

* Thinking about it, the Arkless wasn't the Turbo version I don't think.
Old 05-07-16, 08:25 AM
pfm Member

Presuming you come up with the cases, what's the price on a paradise kit?
Old 05-07-16, 10:04 AM
100% Analogue

There's an element of 'how long is a piece of string' about that question - all that is absolute is that it is finite. It's not the cases that are difficult to source but the raw circuit boards themselves; particularly the power supply boards. They do come up but it's not a case of just popping them in your cart and then heading straight to the checkout. Once you have the raw boards it's then a question of how much you want to spend on the components populating those boards etc.

The bottom line is that it's not exactly 'bargain basement' and I would budget circa 1K+.
Old 05-07-16, 11:59 AM
pfm Member

The Phono-clone is a very fine kit, the guy who soldered my boards up commented on the seriously high quality and matching of all the components.

http://phonoclone.com/diy-guide.html

http://phonoclone.com/pcb.html

As for budget, it depends where you source your transformers from and how far you are willing to go, I lucked out and found exactly what I needed at a huge discount. I'd say between 400-750 depending on how far you wish to go.
Old 05-07-16, 01:55 PM
situation engineer

A no holds barred Paradise four box build will set you back 1500 from me. You could probably scrape one together for half of that if you lucked into someone selling a complete group buy kit. The total parts cost plus four shoebox cases is circa 900.

If you can source parts I'm more than happy to provide a complete list of all the mods I apply and advice on wiring and component matching. The build is quite involved but anyone who can solder and buy a Peak Atlas meter can make it. Figure on it taking 100 hours to do it right including all the metalwork and parts matching.