pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 06-07-16, 01:29 PM
Foot Tapper Foot Tapper is offline
Foot Tapper
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 169
Naim Superline with the right resistor and a Supercap DR power supply is my favourite sounding stage so far. But it's about 7k new...

Compared a Trilogy 907 with an Aurorasound Vida and preferred the Vida by a reasonable margin.

I still like what the humble Dynavector P75 does, while recognising that it isn't in the same league as those mentioned above.

I also tried a Whest PS30 RDT SE but at the Whest premises in a system that I am not familiar with. DIY turntable, Bruer arm, Ortofon Anna cartridge, Modwright pre-amp with external power supply feeding active ATC150 speakers. Sounded clinical and un-musical, though this was almost certainly not due to the phono stage, so will try one of the Whest PS.40RDT stages at some point.

Hope this helps, FT
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-07-16, 03:05 PM
Pac1 Pac1 is offline
Designer/Manufacturer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydog View Post
Increasingly I take the view that in a phono-based system it is worth spending the greater proportion of the amplification budget on the phono stage. This is likely to produce much better results than a big line stage/power amp with a phono stage tagged on afterwards, as some sort of accessory.
Absolutely agree with this. Providing the power amp has enough juice for the speakers it's driving, and low distortion, to my mind the phonostage in a vinyl system is by far the more important amplification component.

Of all the SS phonostages I've heard, the Aurasound Vida is up there with some of the best I've heard but a good quality valve phonostage to my ears just has that something extra. Having recently been disappointed with some of the SS stages I've tried with a view to purchase, I've largely given up on them and will probably now invest in a Tron. Nothing has come close at or anywhere near the price as the Tron Convergence I had in the system for a dem some months back.
__________________
REFERENCE FIDELITY COMPONENTS
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-07-16, 06:50 PM
RedFish RedFish is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 8
Pass Labs XP15 - Vastly superior to anything I've used before. Can't see myself ever changing from this tbh.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-07-16, 12:36 AM
Orbe Chaser Orbe Chaser is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 71
I have a DV P75 mk3, bought it to partner a DV10x5 cart, & although I have had little time to listen properly due to moving house & it being like a builders yard, I like what it does, although I found it a bit noisy it wasn't too intrusive. I freely admit I haven't given it a lot of time due to the above, & on a whim I bought a Firebottle Plus, straight away the sound improved tremendously, I was shocked at the difference. Dead quiet too. It has all been put away again now for a few days while we have a new central heating system & kitchen fitted, but just a short time with the Firebottle has left a deep impression, can't wait to get listening again.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-07-16, 04:36 AM
GJO GJO is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac1 View Post
Absolutely agree with this. Providing the power amp has enough juice for the speakers it's driving, and low distortion, to my mind the phonostage in a vinyl system is by far the more important amplification component.

Of all the SS phonostages I've heard, the Aurasound Vida is up there with some of the best I've heard but a good quality valve phonostage to my ears just has that something extra. Having recently been disappointed with some of the SS stages I've tried with a view to purchase, I've largely given up on them and will probably now invest in a Tron. Nothing has come close at or anywhere near the price as the Tron Convergence I had in the system for a dem some months back.
Also agree,my current NVO SPA 11,at current retail is roughly twice the price of my amp and thats not including a Koetsu SUT.

Over the years and having had several phono stage bake off's at my place,we have had the opportunity to try numerous stages including Whest's,Puresounds,TEAD,EAR,Croft,Art etc and also numerous SUT's.

Prior to the NVO I was using an ARC PH5 for some 10 years,the only phono that came close for me was the Art,but adding the Koetsu SUT to the PH5 changed things quite significantly.One thing we have noted over the years is the miss match when swapping in and out SUT's,what you would expect to work sometimes just doesn't.

The owner of the Art,now has the Vida and have to agree,it is easily the best SS phono I have ever heard,it will making a visit to my place in the near future.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-07-16, 04:45 AM
Barry williams Barry williams is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Tapper View Post
Naim Superline with the right resistor and a Supercap DR power supply is my favourite sounding stage so far. But it's about 7k new...

Compared a Trilogy 907 with an Aurorasound Vida and preferred the Vida by a reasonable margin.

I still like what the humble Dynavector P75 does, while recognising that it isn't in the same league as those mentioned above.

I also tried a Whest PS30 RDT SE but at the Whest premises in a system that I am not familiar with. DIY turntable, Bruer arm, Ortofon Anna cartridge, Modwright pre-amp with external power supply feeding active ATC150 speakers. Sounded clinical and un-musical, though this was almost certainly not due to the phono stage, so will try one of the Whest PS.40RDT stages at some point.

Hope this helps, FT
FT,
What TT do you use now?
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08-07-16, 05:16 AM
Mr.Nic Mr.Nic is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbe Chaser View Post
..on a whim I bought a Firebottle Plus, straight away the sound improved tremendously, I was shocked at the difference. Dead quiet too. It has all been put away again now for a few days while we have a new central heating system & kitchen fitted, but just a short time with the Firebottle has left a deep impression, can't wait to get listening again.
Interesting - where did you get the Firebottle from? I'd be interested in adding one to my second system.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 08-07-16, 07:03 AM
YNWOAN YNWOAN is offline
100% Analogue
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13,912
You get them direct from Alan the designer and maker - he posts on AoS and there is a loan sample if you want to try it.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08-07-16, 07:59 AM
Foot Tapper Foot Tapper is offline
Foot Tapper
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry williams View Post
FT,
What TT do you use now?
Hi Barry
You may recall from the dim & distant past (until circa 6 years ago) it was an LP12. That was replaced by a Roksan Xerxes 20+, upgrade plinth, reference power supply, Artemiz 2 arm & DV XX-2 cartridge.

A year ago, the Xerxes was traded in for one of these:


It's the baby Vertere turntable with the cheap (!) arm and a DV XX-2 mk2.
Several members of the Naim Norfolk & Suffolk phonographic society have had a listen to it and reckon that it can just about carry a tune. I quite like it too. Just as well really.

Best regards, FT
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 08-07-16, 11:51 AM
Orbe Chaser Orbe Chaser is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Nic View Post
Interesting - where did you get the Firebottle from? I'd be interested in adding one to my second system.
I bought mine very recently from a guy on the WigWam, who in turn got it direct from Alan over on Art of Sound, his name is Firebottle (who would believe it) over there & yes I do believe you can request one to try out before you buy as someone above said.

If you try it I am pretty sure you will buy one :-)
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 08-07-16, 12:16 PM
Barry williams Barry williams is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Tapper View Post
Hi Barry
You may recall from the dim & distant past (until circa 6 years ago) it was an LP12. That was replaced by a Roksan Xerxes 20+, upgrade plinth, reference power supply, Artemiz 2 arm & DV XX-2 cartridge.

A year ago, the Xerxes was traded in for one of these:


It's the baby Vertere turntable with the cheap (!) arm and a DV XX-2 mk2.
Several members of the Naim Norfolk & Suffolk phonographic society have had a listen to it and reckon that it can just about carry a tune. I quite like it too. Just as well really.

Best regards, FT
Ah,
I remember now.
Naim used one at Abbey Road Studios with the Statement and The Beatles Mono vinyl box set at a music mag Press launch a few years ago.
With a massive pair of awful sounding Focal speakers.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-07-16, 01:43 PM
Mike Reed Mike Reed is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Tapper View Post
Naim Superline with the right resistor and a Supercap DR power supply is my favourite sounding stage so far. But it's about 7k new...
This is what I have, but without the DR, and am inclined to agree with you, though I have little experience of others. This combo may be circa 7K new, but S'line, Burndy and S'cap can be had for a little over two grand used.

You mention Suffolk and Norfolk Naim Society; what on Earth is this? (I'm in Norwich ), not that I'm all Naim, though.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-07-16, 02:17 PM
Barry williams Barry williams is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
This is what I have, but without the DR, and am inclined to agree with you, though I have little experience of others. This combo may be circa 7K new, but S'line, Burndy and S'cap can be had for a little over two grand used.

You mention Suffolk and Norfolk Naim Society; what on Earth is this? (I'm in Norwich ), not that I'm all Naim, though.
Mike,
He got the name wrong.
Its the West Norfolk Phonographic Society,Unless James has changed the name over the last eleven years?
Its a bunch of really nice people that meet up round each others homes to listen to great music on good systems and drink tea,Lots of tea and biscuits.
And cake.

Last edited by Barry williams; 08-07-16 at 03:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-07-16, 03:19 PM
Barry williams Barry williams is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,069
Its easy to join.
All you have to do is send me three fresh Cromer Crabs in the post for Sunday lunch and post a selfie of yourself running naked into the sea on here.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-07-16, 03:25 PM
Foot Tapper Foot Tapper is offline
Foot Tapper
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 169
Good job you didn't forget the cake Barry, as that's the most important bit, largely thanks to Tony's better half!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
pink fish media