pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 08-12-16, 10:01 AM
eastone eastone is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 163
Hm, would've liked some comparison to the competition or some comment on what difference a doped paper driver makes, since I'm unfamiliar with the Proac sound.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-12-16, 02:44 PM
TLS TLS is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerF View Post
Why on earth do they make them biwire ?
A tradition I guess...
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-12-16, 04:43 PM
Jodet Jodet is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastone View Post
Hm, would've liked some comparison to the competition or some comment on what difference a doped paper driver makes, since I'm unfamiliar with the Proac sound.
Yeah, I always wonder why we get reviews of such a popular speaker type and not a single mention of one of the many other similar products.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-12-16, 05:13 PM
Cereal Killer Cereal Killer is offline
fourhundredandthirtytwo
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerF View Post
Why on earth do they make them biwire ?
For biamping
__________________
Naim SU/ProAc SM100
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-12-16, 12:23 AM
eastone eastone is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodet View Post
Yeah, I always wonder why we get reviews of such a popular speaker type and not a single mention of one of the many other similar products.
...the guy's clearly a proac fan which is fine but it ends up sounding like an advertorial.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 17-01-17, 05:47 AM
Muttley2 Muttley2 is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 443
Has anyone managed to listen to these yet. Would be interested to hear any feedback.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 17-01-17, 10:43 AM
Jodet Jodet is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley2 View Post
Has anyone managed to listen to these yet. Would be interested to hear any feedback.
My pair should get here in a week or so. I currently own LS50's and P3ESR's and have owned MANY 'LS3/5a inspired' speakers, so I'll be able to make some good comparisons.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 17-01-17, 11:04 AM
ducatiman ducatiman is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodet View Post
My pair should get here in a week or so. I currently own LS50's and P3ESR's and have owned MANY 'LS3/5a inspired' speakers, so I'll be able to make some good comparisons.
As an ex owner of the Tablette in its various forms also the 1SC and latterly Kef LS 50's I for one will be very interested in your assessment for the
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 17-01-17, 11:13 AM
Maxbertola Maxbertola is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontoolsie View Post
The sealed box approach (acoustic suspension) was essentially an American design and was once hugely popular in Advent, Infinity et al speakers.
Acoustic Research....
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 17-01-17, 11:49 AM
Space is the Place Space is the Place is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,084
Getting some Dali Pico standmounts for a friend has piqued my interest in these and the Tablettes, i've had a couple of the larger Proac Standmounts in the past, Studio's etc and some LS 50's, but there is something magic about these little Dali's.

Maybe it's the size or the way they've been engineered or voiced i'm not sure (it my first experience with a speaker this small!). Positioned right they sound more convincingly real (within their limitations) than the LS 50's and more alive and less mechanical too. I think a lot of people will dismiss them because they are cheap, but i've found them a revelation, in someways the most convincing speaker i've heard at home!
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 17-01-17, 12:09 PM
nitrous nitrous is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space is the Place View Post
Getting some Dali Pico standmounts for a friend has piqued my interest in these and the Tablettes, i've had a couple of the larger Proac Standmounts in the past, Studio's etc and some LS 50's, but there is something magic about these little Dali's.

Maybe it's the size or the way they've been engineered or voiced i'm not sure (it my first experience with a speaker this small!). Positioned right they sound more convincingly real (within their limitations) than the LS 50's and more alive and less mechanical too. I think a lot of people will dismiss them because they are cheap, but i've found them a revelation, in someways the most convincing speaker i've heard at home!

I currently run these in the bedroom system on the end of Squeezebox3 and my restored nytech 202. Great sound for a bedroom system. I did try them briefly downstairs on end of XS/flatcap XS and they were ok, but lacked detail (compared to my IPL ribbon/Hi Vi stand mounts. Then again, they are not exactly expensive and we're not run in. I may try them again just to check.
__________________
nitrous
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 17-01-17, 12:33 PM
Space is the Place Space is the Place is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I currently run these in the bedroom system on the end of Squeezebox3 and my restored nytech 202. Great sound for a bedroom system. I did try them briefly downstairs on end of XS/flatcap XS and they were ok, but lacked detail (compared to my IPL ribbon/Hi Vi stand mounts. Then again, they are not exactly expensive and we're not run in. I may try them again just to check.
It was the set up that made the most difference for me, because they are so small i can move them around the room something i cant do easily with with my other speakers! they are 10 ft apart 1 ft from each side wall. the speakers are toed in somewhat and the side wall provides some reinforcement to the bass, the walls are treated with diffusion panels at the first reflection points, and i'm sitting about 8 feet away when listening.
I don't i'd ever think try this setup with any other speaker as its a bit extreme, and larger speakers interact with the wall, where as these seem to work with it.

I did have the Dali Zensor 1's as well and they didn't work in the same position anywhere near as well or were nowhere near as convincing.

I've tried the Pico's in other positions with and they don't work as well, It's just through luck other than good judgement i've stumbled upon this positioning!
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 17-01-17, 01:23 PM
nitrous nitrous is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 989
@Space, sadly, no clear wall downstairs, they have to go either side of chimney breast. I do have two CA Minx subs though as I say, only had a quick play, must try it again. The Pico's upstairs have very reasonable bass considering their size. They are remarkable little things. If only I handn't sold my Kan stands and I had a clear (solid) wall !
__________________
nitrous
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 17-01-17, 04:32 PM
ryder ryder is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodet View Post
My pair should get here in a week or so. I currently own LS50's and P3ESR's and have owned MANY 'LS3/5a inspired' speakers, so I'll be able to make some good comparisons.

Similarly I would be interested in with the comparison especially since I have heard the P3ESR many times and the KEF LS50 at the dealers(compared the LS50 to Dali Mentor Menuets before settling down with the latter). I have owned the Proac Tablette 50 Signatures as well. One thing I like about the Proac bookshelves is they image like crazy with excellent detail at the top end with their airy highs.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 17-01-17, 11:33 PM
Muttley2 Muttley2 is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 443
Jodet look forward to hearing your views
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
pink fish media