pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > d.i.y.

Notices

Old 22-12-16, 07:01 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNWOAN View Post
I'm intending to use Corian (predominantly) for the plinth of my new turntable - though it is quite a different design to that discussed here.
There is someone on eBay selling Corian armboards and a Corian subchassis at what look like reasonable prices too!
Old 22-12-16, 02:34 PM
Not the canine kind

Dust in plastic ... love it.

I thought MDF was some kind of dust bonded together with the juice of crushed ants..
Old 22-12-16, 02:38 PM
Not the canine kind

Quote:
Well I've just had a very constructive chat with James Latham's and I've got three small samples on the way. As you say, it is much more competitively priced (though still quite expensive). Thanks for the tip .
Well as appointed by Her Majesty, and given the cost of repairs required to Buck Fizz Palace it aint going to be cheap is it.
Old 22-12-16, 03:33 PM
100% Analogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdog View Post
Dust in plastic ... love it.

I thought MDF was some kind of dust bonded together with the juice of crushed ants..
In essence .
Old 22-12-16, 03:47 PM
100% Analogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemHayward View Post
There is someone on eBay selling Corian armboards and a Corian subchassis at what look like reasonable prices too!
Oh yes, I've just had a look at them, they seem nicely made. I wonder how the weight of the chassis compares to the Keel.
Old 22-12-16, 04:00 PM
Not the canine kind

Quote:
In essence .
Ant- acids, love it.

http://cultureofchemistry.fieldofsci...ant-acids.html
Old 24-12-16, 01:57 AM
Learning to bodge again..

Quote:
Oh yes, I've just had a look at them, they seem nicely made. I wonder how the weight of the chassis compares to the Keel.
Wow - at that price you can't go wrong - sell your stock sub and arm board to reduce the investment by another 40-50% if I didn't have the Sole already I'd grab them - bet the price at least triples in next 3 months
Old 24-12-16, 03:51 AM
100% Analogue

I would feel happier if they stated how much the Corian items weigh- preferably in direct comparison to the Linn items as you really don't want to compress the suspension any more than it is with the standard items.
Old 28-12-16, 02:30 AM
pfm Member

There's a guy redone his Nottingham Analogue Dais turntable in panzerholz and apparently has very good results from the change
Old 31-12-16, 05:10 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
I would feel happier if they stated how much the Corian items weigh- preferably in direct comparison to the Linn items as you really don't want to compress the suspension any more than it is with the standard items.
I found the bounce better with more weight in the subchassis but it's easy to overdo it and have the suspension bottoming out.
Old 31-12-16, 05:18 AM
100% Analogue

The resonant frequency will be lower but not by much. If using quite a heavy arm like the Ekos SE the spring nearest is already very compressed and I wouldn't personally choose to add any more weight to said chassis or armboard.

I've received the Hi-macs samples and they look very promising, I think the 'black granite' is likely to be my choice.
Old 03-01-17, 12:47 PM
pfm Member

Corian does not seem to be a good material for hifi constructions, its too stiff and doesn't damp. Apart from that, it looks cheap. Its acrylic filled with alumina, but doesn't seem to do anything good for hifi.
Old 03-01-17, 02:50 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Bach View Post
Corian does not seem to be a good material for hifi constructions, its too stiff and doesn't damp. Apart from that, it looks cheap. Its acrylic filled with alumina, but doesn't seem to do anything good for hifi.
Corian (and similar materials) has a long history in hifi. The cabinets of Wilson speakers are made from a similar material, and its been used as baffles for speakers at the top end of the market for many years. It has an unusually high level of self damping for its stiffness, but is quite expensive when compared with MDF.
Old 04-01-17, 02:03 AM
pfm Member

Trenner & Friedl Art monitor uses Corian/MDF sandwich construction for its front baffle. Seems to work fine and looks pretty good to me. Many ways to skin the cat.
Out of my brain on the 5:15
Old 04-01-17, 04:05 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemHayward View Post
Corian (and similar materials) has a long history in hifi. The cabinets of Wilson speakers are made from a similar material, and its been used as baffles for speakers at the top end of the market for many years. It has an unusually high level of self damping for its stiffness, but is quite expensive when compared with MDF.
I don't know where you get your data from, but Corian has very poor intrinsic damping, about half that of acrylic alone, and about a tenth that required. It may be useful as a component of a composite, as it has about 2 - 3 times the damping ability of mdf, another material which is widely used in loudspeaker construction, but with the damping ability just less than useless.

There is a weak correlation between stiffness (or Young's modulus) and intrinsic damping, but generally stiff things are not good at damping, examples include metals and ceramics (stone!).

I can see that Corian was the 'flavour of the year' in 2016, but really, that is all it was. I look forward (with amusement) to see what 2017 brings. Maybe something that really is suitable!