pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 13-12-16, 07:42 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
I guess its 2.1mm although vendors I talk with refer to it as 2mm type - 0.1mm is well within production tolerances
Thank you for clarification, John. You likely correct on the tolerance.

Sorry to distract but is the 10mm barrel also important?
Old 13-12-16, 10:26 AM
Trade: Lakewest

I just checked the connector vendor catalogue and they do have both 2mm and 2.1mm types listed in there Table although they have no 2.1mm connectors!

The 9V DC in connector on the Detox PCB is 2mm, although I'm 99% certain a 2.1mm will be OK as the ground connection is a "sprung" contact that applies pressure on the centre pin so 0.1mm will be OK.

But you really don't need to worry as our Detox PSU vendor contacted me earlier today to confirm I wanted samples of the US 110V version - I already wired funds for them last week so you will have a 110V PSU with your Detox.

The PSU is rated at 9V DC at 1300mA so it can provide significant power for "self powered" DAC's. The Detox's USB1.1 isolated supply is about 80% efficient so we need some extra current headroom - I'm trying to meet a 500mA Max on the USB1.1 output.

The USB 2.0 output is good for atleast 500mA, on the MDAC2 / FDAC the USB section is internally powered via an isolated supply (via a tiny transformer) anyway to reduce any negative influence of externally noisy USB computer power.
Old 13-12-16, 11:00 AM
Saint Alphonso!

Hi John, I've decided not to have my MDAC L2 recapped and wait for the MDAC2 board. I am not certain where I am with R&D payments, etc. - I do know I *was* up-to-date as of the last call, and you were doing something for me re: the phono stage I loaned you - but to be honest I am lost. How do I go about switching to MDAC2 and transferring my dev funds?
Old 13-12-16, 12:12 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
I just checked the connector vendor catalogue and they do have both 2mm and 2.1mm types listed in there Table although they have no 2.1mm connectors!

The 9V DC in connector on the Detox PCB is 2mm, although I'm 99% certain a 2.1mm will be OK as the ground connection is a "sprung" contact that applies pressure on the centre pin so 0.1mm will be OK.

But you really don't need to worry as our Detox PSU vendor contacted me earlier today to confirm I wanted samples of the US 110V version - I already wired funds for them last week so you will have a 110V PSU with your Detox.

The PSU is rated at 9V DC at 1300mA so it can provide significant power for "self powered" DAC's. The Detox's USB1.1 isolated supply is about 80% efficient so we need some extra current headroom - I'm trying to meet a 500mA Max on the USB1.1 output.

The USB 2.0 output is good for atleast 500mA, on the MDAC2 / FDAC the USB section is internally powered via an isolated supply (via a tiny transformer) anyway to reduce any negative influence of externally noisy USB computer power.
Thanks for the connector info which will be important if I DIY an LRPS...even if not for use with the DETOX.
Also appreciate knowing a 110V PSU will be supplied and will meet the JW Seal of Approval.

I will only be using the USB2.0 output of the DETOX. Hopefully some consideration was given to the inputs of my non-JW-DAC and the DETOX design mitigates some of those potential issues in my setup.
Old 13-12-16, 12:15 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE718 View Post

So another 6 months until detox and mdac2 are available. How many times have we been told this before?
Is this accurate? What's the reasonable expectation for FDAC?

I only ask because I'm beginning to feel a bit hoodwinked when I bought into the concept of building a no compromise DAC without a program manager to distract and force compromises (MDAC2). On reflection, you must have realised you weren't able to deliver within the expected time frames and could have done a lot more to satisfy the people that helped you to get your dream off the ground.

I'm up for the concept, I just wish the dates were a little less "soon", "6 months", "I have another project that'll *speed things up*", and then I would just enjoy the journey, but when I keep thinking we are nearly there and we're not then I start to wonder if my part in this gig is actually a bit less appreciated than I thought. Happy for it to happen a few times, but it's become the most predictable thing about this pursuit.

I don't intend to cause offence, I'm on board with the dream - more so than the end product tbh - I just would prefer that reasonable questions were answered sincerely and not left unacknowledged. If it's next Christmas or even the one after that, at least I can go buy a DAC for the mean time...
Old 13-12-16, 01:23 PM
pfm Member

Sibbers

Buy a DAC.

You know the rules of sod's law - the second you buy a DAC, the mdac2 will be available and you won't have needed to buy an intermediary DAC.

This will be good for all of us: as soon as you buy a DAC, the mdac 2 will be available

Old 13-12-16, 01:26 PM
pfm Member

Lol
Old 13-12-16, 02:22 PM
pfm Member

Haha, that made me chuckle. I have been eyeing a few up. Think I might go for the antimode 2.0 for the EQ. Hmmm. But I'm not saying hurry up, I'm just saying let's have some way of knowing how far through the process we are - it's like windows minutes!
Old 13-12-16, 04:05 PM
pfm Member

John months
Old 13-12-16, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPa View Post
John months
It all makes sense as Johns working pace is close to light speed
Old 14-12-16, 02:28 AM
Saint Alphonso!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPa View Post
You know the rules of sod's law - the second you buy a DAC, the mdac2 will be available and you won't have needed to buy an intermediary DAC.
Which is what I've done. I'm still in for MDAC2, but I decided I wanted music now, not in n months, and come the availability of MDAC2, I can decide which one goes in the main system and which in the second system
Old 14-12-16, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC View Post
Hi John, I've decided not to have my MDAC L2 recapped and wait for the MDAC2 board. I am not certain where I am with R&D payments, etc. - I do know I *was* up-to-date as of the last call, and you were doing something for me re: the phono stage I loaned you - but to be honest I am lost. How do I go about switching to MDAC2 and transferring my dev funds?
As a MDAC Toy owner you get GPB300 credit for MDAC development fees - so you would have a GBP200 development balance - but we will call it even for the loan of the phono stage

Then you only need to pay the "At Cost" PCB / PSU....
Old 14-12-16, 02:54 AM
Saint Alphonso!

Quote:
As a MDAC Toy owner you get GPB300 credit for MDAC development fees - so you would have a GBP200 development balance - but we will call it even for the loan of the phono stage

Then you only need to pay the "At Cost" PCB / PSU....
OK, but I've also paid at least one additional instalment over and above the Toy dev costs. Can you get Renata to confirm that for me, in case I have it wrong? ta.
Old 14-12-16, 03:10 AM

Yes, that correct a single GBP100, Oh well I guess you will want the analogue input option? so we will add that to the ADC development fee...
Old 14-12-16, 03:39 AM
pfm Member

VFET Amp

John
Was reading about this amp:
https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/...ower-amplifier

Which has 3 different gain settings with the aim of optimising the overall gain structure of your system. A very useful feature! Is it my imagination or did you say at one point that the VFET amps would have variable gain to ensure optimal gain when working with the FDAC? If I didn't dream that, is it still the plan?
Closed Thread