Ok.
Old 01-01-17, 09:25 PM
Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
As of today...

System 2017 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Q3010 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr
Great photography as ever, how is the Cyrus?
Old 01-01-17, 11:30 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe9407 View Post
that was my hope! the Zu weighs 14 grams -- do you think that gets me in the ballpark, mass-wise? (i think it sounds great, in any case...)
The manual for the Aro states that it can take carts up to 12 gm so 14 is a bit over actually. I also have the Zu 103 and an Aro. The heavier Aro counterweight sounds better I think.

Currently I prefer the Denon 103 Pro which has the same weight as the standard 103 but with better compliance. However there's not a huge difference between this cart and the Zu. I love them both and don't feel the need for a 'better' (read: more expensive) cartridge.
Old 02-01-17, 12:07 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski View Post
And learn how to post pictures
If you can't say anything nice, best to say nothing at all.

Thanks for everyone posting some wonderful pics, this has always been my favourite thread.
Old 02-01-17, 01:12 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedroog View Post
I bet that is a really fun system. Love the room, nice looking bit of furniture and do you remember what paint you used? Got that classy Craig & Rose look about it, would love to know which one.

Thanks I think it's good fun. The paint is (as far as I can remember) a dulux match of farrow and ball chapel green as f&b paint is rubbish compared to dulux vinyl matte.
Old 02-01-17, 01:42 AM
pfm Member

My stuff for 2017, I can't imagine any changes unless i find a great deal on a Saturn.
Looking to move house early 2017 so thats going to be the major change!

Old 02-01-17, 01:51 AM
Living the life of Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangaio View Post
Thanks I think it's good fun. The paint is (as far as I can remember) a dulux match of farrow and ball chapel green as f&b paint is rubbish compared to dulux vinyl matte.
What!
Old 02-01-17, 01:52 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsontoast View Post
My stuff for 2017, I can't imagine any changes unless i find a great deal on a Saturn.
Looking to move house early 2017 so thats going to be the major change!
Nice.
Old 02-01-17, 03:25 AM
pfm Member

This year saw the addition of a Karmen (thank you Mark), a replacement XV1S and an NS01 from Winchester Hifi (so the Flatcap XS for the CD player had to be removed to avoid any growth in a stack that is already too high), some SH HD800s (thank you Justin) and the introduction of a cat, requiring LPs to be played with the (dusty) lid in place.

The Karmen has been a worthwhile upgrade from the Khan, and I love the look of the black top plate/ Keel/ black plinth. The old XV1S lasted 3 1/2 years, probably between 1200 and 1500 hours I reckon. At the end it was pretty distorted on quite a few of my LPs: the new one has been a fantastic improvement. The NS01 was bought to reduce stylus wear and offers reasonable playback of 24 bit music, and a quick rip of CDs for lower quality. Although it does internet radio, for some reason it won't pick up the cricket on R5 Sports Extra. The NAT05 sounds better the internet radio alternatives, but I do like the Linn Jazz channel. Unfortunately it doesn't pick up Tidal but I have also bought an AK100 Mk11 (thank you Richard) and a Mojo which plays Tidal from my iPhone pretty well, normally through HD650s with a Cardas cable. It also plays Tidal offline downloads OK through the main system, but not with the musicality of vinyl. I might give Qobuz a try later in the month.

The Obs 2s are still fantastic (the cat used to jump onto the pyramidal tops to my horror but has been dissuaded from doing so).

No plans to change anything at the moment - I would like to move the black boxes onto 3 tiers but cannot in my current abode. Given the feedback Super Lumina is tempting, but stupidly expensive and I am not sure whether I can arrange the cables carefully enough in the current rack. I think Powerlines might be my next step. Hopefully a move at the end of the year will allow me a music specific room, and I will probably buy the superb looking Quadraspire Reference-X to support the LP12. Once I have the extra space I will put the FCXS back to power the CD5 and will consider an NDAC for the NS01. For now it's all sounding lovely and just about meets the aesthetic demands of SWMBO.

System overview: Black Ash LP12/ Keel/ Karmen/ Cirkus/ Radikal-D/ EkosSE/ sKale/ DV XV1s/ T-Kable/ Whest ps.30 rdt se/ 252/ SCDR/ 300DR/ Headline2/ HicapDR/ HD800/ NS01/ Whest dap.10/ CD5/ NAT 05/ Quadraspire/ NACA5/ Oak Shahinian Ob2s
Old 02-01-17, 03:32 AM
Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman View Post

This year saw the addition of a Karmen (thank you Mark), a replacement XV1S and an NS01 from Winchester Hifi (so the Flatcap XS for the CD player had to be removed to avoid any growth in a stack that is already too high), some SH HD800s (thank you Justin) and the introduction of a cat, requiring LPs to be played with the (dusty) lid in place.

The Karmen has been a worthwhile upgrade from the Khan, and I love the look of the black top plate/ Keel/ black plinth. The old XV1S lasted 3 1/2 years, probably between 1200 and 1500 hours I reckon. At the end it was pretty distorted on quite a few of my LPs: the new one has been a fantastic improvement. The NS01 was bought to reduce stylus wear and offers reasonable playback of 24 bit music, and a quick rip of CDs for lower quality. Although it does internet radio, for some reason it won't pick up the cricket on R5 Sports Extra. The NAT05 sounds better the internet radio alternatives, but I do like the Linn Jazz channel. Unfortunately it doesn't pick up Tidal but I have also bought an AK100 Mk11 (thank you Richard) and a Mojo which plays Tidal from my iPhone pretty well, normally through HD650s with a Cardas cable. It also plays Tidal offline downloads OK through the main system, but not with the musicality of vinyl. I might give Qobuz a try later in the month.

The Obs 2s are still fantastic (the cat used to jump onto the pyramidal tops to my horror but has been dissuaded from doing so).

No plans to change anything at the moment - I would like to move the black boxes onto 3 tiers but cannot in my current abode. Given the feedback Super Lumina is tempting, but stupidly expensive and I am not sure whether I can arrange the cables carefully enough in the current rack. I think Powerlines might be my next step. Hopefully a move at the end of the year will allow me a music specific room, and I will probably buy the superb looking Quadraspire Reference-X to support the LP12. Once I have the extra space I will put the FCXS back to power the CD5 and will consider an NDAC for the NS01. For now it's all sounding lovely and just about meets the aesthetic demands of SWMBO.

System overview: Black Ash LP12/ Keel/ Karmen/ Cirkus/ Radikal-D/ EkosSE/ sKale/ DV XV1s/ T-Kable/ Whest ps.30 rdt se/ 252/ SCDR/ 300DR/ Headline2/ HicapDR/ HD800/ NS01/ Whest dap.10/ CD5/ NAT 05/ Quadraspire/ NACA5/ Oak Shahinian Ob2s
Glad you're enjoying it!!

Happy New Year,

Mark
Old 02-01-17, 03:57 AM
Administrator

Current state of play:

System #1 (main):

Thorens TD-124/II, SME 3009, Ortofon 540/II, Croft RIAA, Rega Apollo-R, Deltec PDM3, JC Verdier Control B, 2x Quad 303, 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds in early '60s Lockwood Universal Major cabs, Decca Kelly DK30 ribbons as supertweeters (separately driven by one of the 303s). Rather ungainly at present with far more boxes than I'd like. I'll eventually get shut of the Croft if I can figure out how to lower the capacitance of the Verdier phono stage (it is searingly bright with the Ortofon carts). I quite fancy comparing the Verdier to a Conrad Johnson PV12, so if one of those crops up mint, boxed and at the right price this year I may take a punt.

System #2 (Record Shop):

Marantz SA-8005, Sony ST-5150, Audio Synthesis PAS-02, Leak Stereo 20, JR149s on Target R4 stands. The Quad 303 sitting doing nothing in the pic is now driving the ribbon tweeters in the main system. Changes here being the SACD player and tuner.

System #3 (TV):

Sony TV, Cambridge 752BD multi-format disc spinner/DAC, Decware Zen SE84UFO, Klipsch La Scalas. The little 2.3 Watt Decware is the only change here hence it gets the pic!

I'm not after any major changes anywhere so it will likely be another quiet year (none of the above have changed much from last year's pics).
Old 02-01-17, 04:20 AM
100% Analogue

Any minute now someone is going to say "Tony, I love that stand your turntable is on - where did you get it?" - someone asks that every time you post a picture of it .

Personally, I rather like the flamboyant cabling of that little power amp - very 'audiophile'...

Last edited by YNWOAN; 02-01-17 at 04:42 AM.
Old 02-01-17, 04:24 AM
pfm Member

Are owners of cheap, undesirable systems welcome to post here?
Old 02-01-17, 04:28 AM
pfm Member

Technics SL10
Pro-Ject Carbon Comfort
Marantz PM701 KI Signature
Celestion Ditton 551

Total cost of system: 900

SL10 now gone and Dittons being replaced with Bose Acoustimass that cost me 80 quid. Times are hard.
Old 02-01-17, 05:17 AM
submeasurist

Currently in use after a restore:

Dual 701 direct drive with AT150MLX -Akai PR-A04/PA-W04/AT-V04L

Running with the trusty old ESL57s and JVC DD9 (and a rather stylish Siemens Planar radio )

P1020258

P1020263

P1020259

P1020267

P1020269

P1020265