pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 09-02-17, 05:30 AM
pfm Member

oh dear yet another Naim bashing thread....
Old 09-02-17, 06:02 AM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disbeliever View Post
From its limited specification I would not expect the 180A to outperform the SN2, too much hassle to find out.
Who cares for specs ? (you obviously)

What matters is performance by using it, only then one could decide which amp outperform the other.
Price and features might play a role
Old 09-02-17, 06:48 AM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusic View Post
Maybe
Maybe not

The only thing which I'd imagine worse, is non objective sheeptalk
Old 09-02-17, 07:06 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
The bashing on the Exposure thread is more severe. Reading comments such as the Exposure eating the Naims for breakfast, wiping the floor with it or smashing it to pieces, it is quite hilarious really.
Old 09-02-17, 09:30 AM
Private

Mr Vereker did make exceedingly good Naits
Old 09-02-17, 10:10 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Really ???, might I suggest you are being a little over dramatic.
Naim is very good kit, but there is also some other very good kit out there that is not made by Naim.
If discussion of these is a little too much for you then I suggest the overwhelmingly pro Naim discussions over on the Naim forum may make for better reading.
Old 09-02-17, 10:22 AM
Trade: Strictly Stereo

Maybe these...

https://www.strictlystereo.com/clear...ure-mcx-system
Old 09-02-17, 10:26 AM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk View Post
then I suggest the overwhelmingly pro Naim discussions .
By saying in public he miss old B&W speakers this may very well provide cold shoulders from the green now white crowd
Old 09-02-17, 11:51 PM
pfm Member

after using Chord DAC's I do understand what Naim and Linn said all those years ago "source first". A Chord Mojo or Hugo dac makes wonderful music.

I do wonder sometimes what a Hegel amp would sound with my Chord DAC. I am eagerly awaiting Chord's new digital amplifier range

About the green white crowd and B&W speakers, well Naim don't make their own speakers anymore....

FWIW, out of all the speakers I heard, the ones that made an immediate impact on me were Dynaudio Focus (and also excite range), and Sonus Faber Olympica 2.

I chose Dynaudio for the synergy with Naim sound, never really heard any speaker sound more energetic with Naim (including Naim's own Ovator and intros)

On the Dynaudio forum, seems Hegel amplifiers seems to work well with those speakers....

Last edited by analogmusic; 10-02-17 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-02-17, 02:29 AM
Searching for the Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloop John B View Post
Wonderful post, probably sums up how a lot of us feel, even though I came into Naim in 2004, my dealer at the time had worked in Naim with Julian and there certainly was the club feel to their forum at that point.

I've recently sold my Naim source and am totally enjoying thring various products to run Roon into a Hugo TT.

To the OP, Naim amplification is still their strong point (IMHO), perhaps instead of ditching everything, change your source to a streaming one (preferably with Roon) and it may well give a lease of life to your amplification.

Having said that I would be quite prepared to move from Naim but I hope I'd be careful not to throw out the baby with the proverbial.

Do let us know how things progress.

.sjb
I have thought of keeping my Naim amps and changing the source (I need to check out Roon)...I have one more dem and a decision should be made soon

Regards
Old 11-02-17, 02:37 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
I am eagerly awaiting Chord's new digital amplifier range
When will these be announced?
I've had a scout around but can't find anything specific?
A powerful integrated streaming amp with a built in mojo/hugo would be a great alternative one-boxer to Devialet/Hegel/Naim.
Old 11-02-17, 05:12 AM
pfm Member

Something like an LFD PA2M would be a good move from Naim. Unlike the lighter amps like the Zero, PA0 etc. which will lose the 'boogie factor' of the Naim gear unless using sensitive speakers, the PA2M amps are more like 250s or 135s in their power delivery, but with an incredibly natural and liquid midrange & top end that Naim gear just can't compete with IMHO. It flies under the radar and there are some great prices around as a result. Personally I'm a fan of British amps in general, and think there's a certain philosophy that they share in their minimalist, hairshirt approach, but that approach was in the earlier Julian Vereker days with Naim gear becoming more complicated and integrated these days, and perhaps losing some of the magic in the process.
Old 11-02-17, 06:51 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydog View Post
Find some really good speakers that you really like and then get amps and a front end to suit, otherwise you're just swapping out amps with different names on the boxes and following a system building dogma dreamed up decades ago to sell turntables and amps made by...

I went from LP12, 555, 552, 500, 01 etc etc and now have Brinkmann/Counterpoint/KDS/Audio Research/Sonus faber and the odd tuner.
Hi Abbydog

Can I ask what Audio Research combo you have. We have Sonus Faber Olympica 1 and over the last couple of years we have listened to and enjoyed Audio Research Ref 5SE and Ref 75. Recently we have a Ref 6/Ref 150SE combo and played it at the same time with our 552/Naim amps into the our Sonus Faber and with the Naim sources. It was a very good comparison, with more similarities and clear differences. Would be good to know your process when changing and rationale. Also how have you found reliability with the AR?

We have stayed with the Naim for good reasons, but interested to know what your rationale was. Audio Research is very good.

Thanks
Old 11-02-17, 07:09 AM
pfm Member

I use a Counterpoint SA9 phono stage, Audio Research SP11 preamp and a VT130SE power amp. These are the finest I have found with my speakers. I have owned in the recent past Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE, Ref 5SE pre, Ref 150 power, LS 25Mk2 and some other stuff. I have also retained a Classic 60.

I have had no reliability issues, but do get stuff serviced.
Old 11-02-17, 07:40 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydog View Post
I use a Counterpoint SA9 phono stage, Audio Research SP11 preamp and a VT130SE power amp. These are the finest I have found with my speakers. I have owned in the recent past Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE, Ref 5SE pre, Ref 150 power, LS 25Mk2 and some other stuff. I have also retained a Classic 60.

I have had no reliability issues, but do get stuff serviced.
I haven't heard the SP11 (but heard good things) but have heard the LS25/27 etc, which I found disappointing and lacked detail and musicality. The Ref 5SE and 6 were amazing and easily in the 552 (mine is a non DR version. We liked the Ref 75 a lot and the Ref 150 (but that has a noisy fan). What speakers do you have?

Thanks