pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 06-02-17, 01:32 PM
pfm Member

One plugged into the mains near your router and connected to the router by an ethernet cable, the other plugged next to your system and connected to the Pi by an Ethernet cables. You usually get cables with the plugs.
Old 06-02-17, 01:33 PM
pfm Member

Would they work with an extension block Del or do they need to go in to the wall?
Old 06-02-17, 01:34 PM
pfm Member

I can get the router one via the wall but short of wall sockets behind the hifi.
Old 06-02-17, 01:44 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyh View Post
I can get the router one via the wall but short of wall sockets behind the hifi.
I have one of mine in an adapter near the router but it hasn't been a problem. Not best practice though but I also have few sockets to play with.
Old 06-02-17, 01:47 PM
pfm Member

We can only try it Del. Thanks mate.

Shame, as I was hoping its wifi would be enough to set it up and run it.
Old 06-02-17, 01:51 PM
pfm Member

The wifi may hold. Mine does in the kitchen. The built in wifi isn't top notch apparently. You can try. Do you have an Airport express because it can be used as a wireless Ethernet Bridge though it's another complex set up I'm afraid. Home plugs are useful and reliable.
Old 06-02-17, 01:52 PM
pfm Member

Home plugs it is Del! Cheers.
Old 06-02-17, 02:17 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
We can only try it Del. Thanks mate.

Shame, as I was hoping its wifi would be enough to set it up and run it.
If you go here

https://sites.google.com/site/picore.../home/how-to-1

and follow the instructions for Raspberry A+ you can set up wifi without a lan connection.

Connect the pi to your TV with a HDMI cable and watch the set up run, you can get the pi IP address from the screen.

This does work, I have just done it.

Up to you if you use it

The rpi wifi is not too bad, especially if you use a plastic, or no case.
I run most of my pi without a case.

atb

ronnie
Old 06-02-17, 05:11 PM
Numb Nut

You will need a 400 linear psu though to get the best out of it
Old 06-02-17, 11:48 PM
Keep Music Vile

FWIW, I use an RPI2b as a Kodi box as part of my main system. This is my main streamer for music. Sounds excellent and does super clever things for video (eg, automatic subtitling). The iplayer plugin also allows you to configure custom access to the API to the very highest quality streams. I use a standard Chromecast to pick up the streaming services I can't get KODI to handle properly (Spotify, Netflix, 4OD etc.) and as a Plex client for the rest of the family. I found the wireless connection to be unsuitable for lossless music as it dropped out constantly. I don't plan to replace it until they put a gigabit ethernet port on it.

I also have a Moode build which I made up for this device - setting up wireless was a PITA and I could discern no audible difference in reproduction quality over KODI.
Old 07-02-17, 12:08 AM
pfm Member

Thanks guys. 400 quid power supply

Interesting set up via TV idea, how would you control what's on the screen though as I could on the Laptop?

Foxy, thanks for the info. Worrying you say the wifi was naff for lossless streaming as that's what I want to use it for.

You are using the RPI2 though I read in your post, I didn't think that had wifi.

This is the RPI3, hoping it's different.

Many thanks
Old 07-02-17, 12:16 AM
PFM Special Builder

Try installing PiCorePlayer.

If you don't fancy plugging the PI3 into your tv, simply plug the Pi into the ethernet port on your broadband router/hub, power the Pi3 on. Watch the IP address (DHCP) table on the router/hub, through its web page (easy on a BT Hub). Once the hub has handed out the IP addr, access the PiCorePlayer's web config through http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (replace with IP addr).

Simple

I have two Pi3s, one streaming to the hifi, one for my daughter's bedroom system (both on wifi) and a Pi2 as a LMS server, all running PiCorePlayer.

Garf
Old 07-02-17, 12:20 AM
ʇɐɔ_ɯɐs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony L View Post
No expert here, but I managed to get mine up and running by creading a bootable SD card on my Mac for whatever operating system I wanted (I've tried Ubuntu Mate and Raspberrian so far) and then booting the Pi with it and connecting it to my wi-fi at that point.

I love the idea of the Pi, but I've yet to think of anything I really want to use it for! It is just sitting around doing nothing until I figure that bit out!
Setup a Pi-Hole....
https://pi-hole.net/

Best thing I ever did!
Old 07-02-17, 12:25 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiily View Post
Try installing PiCorePlayer.

If you don't fancy plugging the PI3 into your tv, simply plug the Pi into the ethernet port on your broadband router/hub, power the Pi3 on. Watch the IP address (DHCP) table on the router/hub, through its web page (easy on a BT Hub). Once the hub has handed out the IP addr, access the PiCorePlayer's web config through http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (replace with IP addr).

Simple

I have two Pi3s, one streaming to the hifi, one for my daughter's bedroom system (both on wifi) and a Pi2 as a LMS server, all running PiCorePlayer.
Thanks very much Chilly. Installing Ipcoreplayer is indeed my first aim when the PI arrives plus win32diskimager, did you install that too? I realised I had to plug it in to the router for initial set up via info given here, is he TV method just an alternative?

Great to know you are streaming to the hifi on it. You have no Ethernet connected to it at all now it's set up?

Have you managed to stream tidal yet which is my aim?

Router is SKY so hoping it's as simple as your experience with the BT hub.

Great info and thanks again.
Old 07-02-17, 01:19 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
win32diskimager
This is just a Windows utility that lets you zap a Pi operating system onto an SD card. You need a card reader for your PC. It doesn't install on the Pi itself.

Tim