Old 13-02-17, 10:14 AM
pfm Member

MQA bad for Music?

Linn posted this 3 days ago.

https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music

What are your thoughts guys?
Old 13-02-17, 10:16 AM
pfm Member

I wouldn't trust anything Linn say. Meridian have their own motives for promoting MQA and Linn for dismissing it.
Old 13-02-17, 10:20 AM
Im just me...

They pissed off cos it has no K in it and they didnt think of it first?
Old 13-02-17, 10:23 AM
pfm Member

Would be nice if our so-called hi-if journalists took a look at this, wouldn't it?
Old 13-02-17, 10:31 AM
pfm Member

Thoughts are that Linn are full of shit and quelle surprise they don't like something Meridian have done, :rolls eyes
Old 13-02-17, 10:31 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydog View Post
Would be nice if our so-called hi-if journalists took a look at this, wouldn't it?
Agree.
I think linn's article explains this:
http://www.mqa.co.uk/customer/our-partners

MQA is on the market for quite a while but only couple companies support hardware MQA...
MQA kicked off only after Tidal involvement but streamer producers are not so keen to join the party. Why? well, licence cost I guess.
Old 13-02-17, 10:49 AM
Trade: Strictly Stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenniGT View Post
Why? well, licence cost I guess.
No doubt licensing costs will be a barrier, but MQA also has other licensing requirements which some manufacturers may find unappealing, not least the requirement to share details of their designs.
Old 13-02-17, 10:52 AM
pfm Member

Never mind the Linn v Meridian thing. I gave a stake in neither but I can't find anything to argue with in that article. I think it's spot on.
Old 13-02-17, 11:08 AM
pfm Member

As it says right at the start it doesn't deal with sound quality, so IMO it's simply a not very good attempt at deriding MQA's business model.

Quite boring I'd say.
Old 13-02-17, 11:27 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strictly Stereo View Post
No doubt licensing costs will be a barrier, but MQA also has other licensing requirements which some manufacturers may find unappealing, not least the requirement to share details of their designs.
Really?! That would be a deal beaker for me.
Old 13-02-17, 12:28 PM

just waiting for MQA quad speed V.5 bollux
Old 13-02-17, 12:32 PM
pfm Member

A bit green maybe.....
Old 13-02-17, 01:11 PM
pfm Member

Not really that interested in what Linn say. I reckon if they'd have thought of it, it would be labeled as the future of music.
However, I do have reservations of my own. It appears that MQA's "remastering" is largely down to Bob Stuart's taste, much like any other remastering is at the behest of the guy behind the desk.
Using Bluesound & Tidal, flipping between MQA & regular CD quality, the differences seem minimal & just that.....differences, as opposed to "better".
For as long as Tidal Masters MQA is at no extra cost to the consumer, then hey, why not.
However, I wonder if, a few months down the line, the price for Tidal MQA will rise above their hifi offering. Then I guess we will see if the market supports MQA, or it sinks.
Old 13-02-17, 01:24 PM
pfm Member

A more restrained critique from Linn would have sounded less desperate. It reads like they are worried by Mqa and a tiny bit jealous.
Old 13-02-17, 01:35 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicatel View Post
Not really that interested in what Linn say. I reckon if they'd have thought of it, it would be labeled as the future of music.
However, I do have reservations of my own. It appears that MQA's "remastering" is largely down to Bob Stuart's taste, much like any other remastering is at the behest of the guy behind the desk.
Using Bluesound & Tidal, flipping between MQA & regular CD quality, the differences seem minimal & just that.....differences, as opposed to "better".
For as long as Tidal Masters MQA is at no extra cost to the consumer, then hey, why not.
However, I wonder if, a few months down the line, the price for Tidal MQA will rise above their hifi offering. Then I guess we will see if the market supports MQA, or it sinks.
Mqa will get their revenue from tiny portions of streaming income. Particularly , at a first , from mostly dormant legacy libraries like the warners school of rock. I'd also be surprised if Tidal tried to increase fees as their upside is more members