pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 14-02-17, 12:41 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveledzep View Post
Metal dome tweeters imo.
My Mordaunt short MS10i classic's sound very sweet & detailed, not harsh in the slightest, heard many a pair with soft domes that make your teeth stand on edge at high volume.
Old 14-02-17, 12:42 PM
pfm Member

I'm not sure if being bright is a bad thing for everyone considering that personal hearing chacteristics vary among people of different ages, for example.

I listen to Neat Momentums which have metal domes and I think that is their best component in all honesty. I like the detail and air I'm hearing with those.

Conversely speakers with ribbon or soft domes can sound a bit dull and messy sometimes.

I've heard some Neat XSs (like the Momentums but with different/duller tweeter) and found them rather boring by comparison.
Old 14-02-17, 12:44 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colasblue View Post
Everything Usher make!
So interesting how people hear things differently. I had a pair of tiny dancers and didn't find them bright at all. I hate bright speakers. I was very fond of them and only got rid of them as they were too big and bassy for my room.
Old 14-02-17, 12:47 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydog View Post
I find diamond tweeter B&Ws unacceptably bright - and was daft enough to buy a pair once.
I heard a pair on the end of Krell. I thought they were well balanced.Detailed but not overly bright.
Old 14-02-17, 12:49 PM
pfm Member

linn saras in some systems can be like cheese graters for the ear canal...
Old 14-02-17, 12:50 PM
pfm Member

I do wonder if what many describe as bright or harsh are actually the bass/mid drivers breaking up/crossed over badly rather than the tweeters ...
Old 14-02-17, 12:54 PM
pfm Member

does it all really matter when you get to 65 and you cant hear above 10 khz?
Old 14-02-17, 01:00 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerman View Post
I do wonder if what many describe as bright or harsh are actually the bass/mid drivers breaking up/crossed over badly rather than the tweeters ...
Or a peak at tweeter resonance because of a dodgy xover design. This may not break the response much to still cause problems.
Old 14-02-17, 01:00 PM
pfm Member

This may be an age thing ? I first became interested in hifi in my teens and lusted after Spendor BC1s, Gale 401s and Ditton 44s. Maybe that's my benchmark and I've not adapted to the greater detail (brightness) ?

I hear the extra brightness less well now !
Old 14-02-17, 01:05 PM
pfm Member

When I bought my first real hi fi the dealer played me a pair of mission or Cyrus speakers, had a headache after the dem. I settled on a pair of Castle Durhams in the end.

I do find as I get older I do require a bit more bite or brightness in the treble dept.
Old 14-02-17, 01:14 PM
pfm Member

As another person said, the German speakers, Cantons, MB Quarts, etc. often sound bright. I've thought that certain B&Ws and Klipsch speakers sound bright as well.
Old 14-02-17, 01:18 PM
lover of all things linn

My friend has a pair of Cantons, they make my teeth itch. I had a pair of focal 1038s for about a week, that's as much as I could take.
Old 14-02-17, 01:31 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThELiZ View Post
So interesting how people hear things differently. I had a pair of tiny dancers and didn't find them bright at all. I hate bright speakers. I was very fond of them and only got rid of them as they were too big and bassy for my room.
Some speakers when not properly driven can sound awful. With good quality amplification the exact same speakers may sound great.

The listening room is naturally very important too.
Old 14-02-17, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Giraffe View Post
As another person said, the German speakers, Cantons, MB Quarts, etc. often sound bright. I've thought that certain B&Ws and Klipsch speakers sound bright as well.
Klipsch, especially vintage ones are very easy to get to sound horrendous, and some, e.g. the Heresy are often misunderstood even to this day (they need to sit on the floor against a wall or in a corner, never on stands!). These are all vintage tube-era designs and tend to sound very wrong on highly damped solid state IME. They are also crazy efficient so will find the switching distortion, noise etc in a lot of electronics. (I've owned Heresys and currently have La Scalas in my TV system).
Old 14-02-17, 02:41 PM
Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

You could simply get an amp with tone controls...