pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 15-02-17, 01:49 PM
Kirabosi Kognoscente

The naim forum is not a democracy, they can ban who they want. On pfm I'm pretty sure discussing disputes with other sites is against AUP.
Old 15-02-17, 02:01 PM
pinko bodger

Kraus,

An utter aside in a discusion I'm not part of - but chapeau for such courtesy on an audio forum!
Old 15-02-17, 02:59 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patu View Post
So is this exactly the same stock cable which Naim has always used but fit with better plug now?
Yup. A very expensive plug. But it makes a massive difference!
Old 15-02-17, 03:16 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venton View Post
OP, I think you believe it is just a plain powercord marked up by Naim to 95 quid, which I agree would be wrong.
Look closer, it's not.
I did look closer and all I could clearly make out was the term Kema Keur. Interestingly, it's a quality protocol/certification process for electrical products which is apparently recognized world-wide.

Wonder what that requires and what it means?
Old 15-02-17, 11:25 PM
Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay B View Post
I did look closer and all I could clearly make out was the term Kema Keur. Interestingly, it's a quality protocol/certification process for electrical products which is apparently recognized world-wide.

Wonder what that requires and what it means?
KEMA is a Dutch organisation (originally set up by a bunch of power utilities, but now owned by Det Norske Veritas in Norway) that does electrical safety testing / certification. KEMA certification is often a procurement requirement for electrical equipment. One of my companies went through the certification process for their power monitoring and measurement devices - one of our engineers spent 3 days at KEMA in Arnhem.

It has absolutely nothing to do with audio, it is purely an electrical safety certification.

"Keur" is Dutch for choice or acceptance.

Edit: forgot the "so what" - KEMA certification is voluntary, and is usually only done for volume products. No way someone like Naim would go through that process for a power lead or plug. Thus the power plug is probably a standard consumer appliance plug.

Last edited by Julf; 16-02-17 at 12:57 AM.
Old 16-02-17, 12:18 AM
I heard that, pardon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david ellwood View Post
The naim forum is not a democracy, they can ban who they want. On pfm I'm pretty sure discussing disputes with other sites is against AUP.
This. It's pretty easy to use forums like this which are not moderated to a manufacturer's commercial interest. Group think is less likely and experience is broader. Just don't exepect as much slavish agreement.
Old 16-02-17, 01:00 AM
pfm Member

all expensive mains cable are a joke,yes I did try. screening is good, reasonable csa . and well put together with a good fit plug . tops 50 sorted
Old 16-02-17, 02:03 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich46 View Post
all expensive mains cable are a joke,yes I did try. screening is good, reasonable csa . and well put together with a good fit plug . tops 50 sorted
Before calling them a joke, have you tried any of them? This one doesn't count because it's a standard cable with a fancy plug and badge, but some of the aftermarket cables make a lot of difference. For me my recent power cable purchase was as big an improvement as buying a new box.
Old 16-02-17, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
Before calling them a joke, have you tried any of them?
Have you tried listening to then with just your ears?
Old 16-02-17, 03:31 AM
Trade Central Audio

I have been of the opinion that when you are being ripped off the person doing the ripping off has to tell you they are doing so.
Its done usually in a subliminal way, and the person doing it is probably not aware, some kind of Freudian off loading of guilt trip.
I felt the 666 price for a single box for a NAP 500 amp fell squarely in to this category.
Old 16-02-17, 04:35 AM
pfm Member

Even more of a rip off if the box was empty
Old 16-02-17, 04:35 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Have you tried listening to then with just your ears?
Listening to what?

I have heard the standard, free naim cables which aren't much cop, yes.
Old 16-02-17, 04:44 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Audio View Post
I have been of the opinion that when you are being ripped off the person doing the ripping off has to tell you they are doing so.
Its done usually in a subliminal way, and the person doing it is probably not aware, some kind of Freudian off loading of guilt trip.
I felt the 666 price for a single box for a NAP 500 amp fell squarely in to this category.
"I'm gonna sell you this item but, before you buy it, I must warn you it's a rip-off". "Splendid! In that case, I'll have two!"
Old 16-02-17, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Listening to what?
I was referring to this:

Quote:
For me my recent power cable purchase was as big an improvement as buying a new box.
Old 16-02-17, 04:56 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I got banned on the naim forum for suggesting that a captive lead must be better.
I got a 7 day ban for offering to lend someone a cheap CA640p phono stage as they couldn't afford to buy one as well as a TT.