pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 16-02-17, 04:59 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
I was referring to this:
I am confused, surely I would have listened with my ears to have reported this answer, wouldn't I?... sorry maybe I am being thick here.
Old 16-02-17, 05:04 AM
Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
I am confused, surely I would have listened with my ears to have reported this answer, wouldn't I?... sorry maybe I am being thick here.
My question was about listening with just your ears - that is, attempting to exclude other than auditory factors (such as by using double blind test protocols).
Old 16-02-17, 05:06 AM
Trade Central Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Tony View Post
"I'm gonna sell you this item but, before you buy it, I must warn you it's a rip-off". "Splendid! In that case, I'll have two!"
Correct but in my case I said I will have none.
Old 16-02-17, 05:27 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
My question was about listening with just your ears - that is, attempting to exclude other than auditory factors (such as by using double blind test protocols).
Oh I see, I listened with my ears only, well my Dad was there too, so I guess his ears also.

I recently compared my aftermarket cable against a Naim Powerline and mine was quite a margin better, which in turn were miles better than the stock Naim cable. At over 200 less than the Naim Powerline, I'm quite happy with my choice.
Old 16-02-17, 05:36 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski View Post
I got a 7 day ban for offering to lend someone a cheap CA640p phono stage as they couldn't afford to buy one as well as a TT.
They amputated my left leg when I asked if Naim were bringing out an updated DAC.
Old 16-02-17, 05:37 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
They amputated my left leg when I asked if Naim were bringing out an updated DAC.
LOL.
Old 16-02-17, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
Oh I see, I listened with my ears only, well my Dad was there too, so I guess his ears also.
What was your method for excluding your possible expectation bias?

Quote:
I recently compared my aftermarket cable against a Naim Powerline and mine was quite a margin better, which in turn were miles better than the stock Naim cable. At over 200 less than the Naim Powerline, I'm quite happy with my choice.
What arrangements did you use to allow instantaneous switching - or were you relying on auditory memory?
Old 16-02-17, 06:27 AM
certified Buffologist / mod

I can't speak for others but I counter expectation bias by expecting the exact opposite of what I expect. That way if I hear a difference — whether an improvement or degradation — I know the difference is real because I didn't expect it.

Then, as a double check, I expect the opposite again (so back to where I started) to see if the difference I heard (or not) goes away (or comes back).

I do this several times — flipping my expectations back and forth — keeping score on a tally sheet using a checkmark (√) if I expected to not hear a difference but in fact heard one or expected to hear a difference but in fact didn't hear one. The important thing is to keep flipping expectations back and forth until your mind is so confused that it's only capable of hearing real audible differences — or perhaps failing to hear real audible differences. Where the insanity leads is not as important as becoming insane. You want to be crazy. Batshit crazy if possible.

Then, after a while, I watch Star Trek, because I love that show. Or I make funny memes using a picture of my cat.

Joe
Old 16-02-17, 06:28 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
I could well believe that.

Naim would never remove a customers arm and impede their ability to take their wallet out and pay for all that lovely foo.
Old 16-02-17, 06:31 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
I can't speak for others but I counter expectation bias by expecting the exact opposite of what I expect. That way if I hear a difference — whether an improvement or degradation — I know the difference is real because I didn't expect it.

Then, as a double check, I expect the opposite again (so back to where I started) to see if the difference I heard (or not) goes away (or comes back).

I do this several times — flipping my expectations back and forth — keeping score on a tally sheet using a checkmark (√) if I expected to not hear a difference but in fact heard one or expected to hear a difference but in fact didn't hear one. The important thing is to keep flipping expectations back and forth until your mind is so confused that it's only capable of hearing real audible differences — or perhaps failing to hear real audible differences. Where the insanity leads is not as important as becoming insane. You want to be crazy. Batshit crazy if possible.
And then the spanish inquisition turns up and corrupts all your hard work as you really weren't expecting that.
Old 16-02-17, 06:32 AM

Dude,

I did not expect that.

Joe
Old 16-02-17, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
I can't speak for others but I counter expectation bias by expecting the exact opposite of what I expect.
I didn't expect that!
Old 16-02-17, 06:34 AM

My cat iz smart.

Joe
Old 16-02-17, 07:01 AM
actress/activist

donde esta la horta?
Old 16-02-17, 07:11 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski View Post
I could well believe that.

Naim would never remove a customers arm and impede their ability to take their wallet out and pay for all that lovely foo.
I forgot to mention they nailed my right hand to the gatepost. Luckily I'm left-handed so all was well.