pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 02-01-10, 09:47 AM
pfm Member

I also have around 600 (slightly more) CD's. As I have most of my CD's ripped in Flac to an external HD, to feed my Squeezebox Classic, I was also looking for a way to store my CD's and make some space in my small/medium sized living-room.

Currently I have these rather large Ikea Benno CD-racks up against a wall.

Last week though I ordered some NOS soft-plastic CD-sleeves at Who's your daddy records.
(1 sleeve can hold the booklet, the CD itself, and the back with the titles)

This afternoon I bought some small carton boxes. Similar boxes are available at Ikea for peanuts money.
One of these small boxes (measuring only 13x16x24cm) can now store up to 90 CD's!

Here's a picture of my new way of storing CD's

Last edited by Alco; 02-01-10 at 01:30 PM.
Old 22-01-10, 03:53 AM
pfm Member

Just to finish off the journey...

I needed something still to store the CD's once placed into the Jazzloft CD sleeves. I found some great plastic boxes on eBay, very cheap and each hold about 160 CD's, the boxes stack.

Clear CD Storage Box to Hold 52 CD's - 180 x 200 x 600, by seller "bigdugltd" as the link will disappear over time...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clear-CD-Stora...item359f8e8e4f
Old 22-01-10, 04:15 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alco View Post
Last week though I ordered some NOS soft-plastic CD-sleeves at Who's your daddy records.
(1 sleeve can hold the booklet, the CD itself, and the back with the titles)
Hi Alco,

Do you know what brand these are so I can look for them in the UK?

Thanks
Old 22-01-10, 04:28 AM
pfm Member

Hi Wazza69,

They're brandless as far as I know.
I ordered them at this Dutch company http://www.wydr.nl , on a populair Dutch advertsing-site.
(perhaps you can email them)

The ad is still on the Dutch ads-site, but I'm not sure if it's allowed to place a direct link to that ad on this fourm.

good luck!

regards,
Alco
Old 29-01-10, 04:36 AM

Can one of the users of the Jazzloft/Cadence sleeves please tell me whether a CD in this sleeve will fit in the same shelf depth as a CD in a jewel case? Does the 44$ pack attract the notice of customs etc.? I have just received a sample pack of Fleecepacks from Holland which look good ( and better value in bulk direct from Smilin Ears BV) but they are taller/deeper than a jewel case and will not let me lie them sideways and close the doors of my CD cupboards. The Fleecepack does seem very cosy for the disc itself holding it between two cloth layers, I imagine in the Jazzloft one the cd sits against the plastic itself?

Phil.
Old 29-01-10, 04:40 AM
pfm Member

With a normal CD fitted.. They are 14cm wide and 13.2cm tall. I have not been caught for duty (yet) in the UK.

Phil if in the Uk I could send you a single sleeve to try...
Old 29-01-10, 05:21 AM

Thanks for the details, I would be pleased to take up your kind offer of a trial sleeve and am in the UK. Have sent you a PM.
Phil.
Old 29-01-10, 05:28 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alco View Post
Hi Wazza69,

They're brandless as far as I know.
I ordered them at this Dutch company http://www.wydr.nl , on a populair Dutch advertsing-site.
(perhaps you can email them)

The ad is still on the Dutch ads-site, but I'm not sure if it's allowed to place a direct link to that ad on this fourm.

good luck!

regards,
Alco
Forgot to say thanks.....thanks!
Old 29-01-10, 09:20 AM

I tried some of these and they are very good, did not get a customs bill, probably due to the low value.
After placing the order I found a better deal at Maplins with a handy little storage box and 200 wallets for 13 ish. However this offer has now gone and I didn't get the chance to try them, but they do sell the wallets as do many other places in the UK at a lower price. If I need anymore I will try a cheaper more convenient option.
Old 29-01-10, 10:20 AM
pfm Member

I got some cases with suspension wallets, these are big enough to slip the artwork in one side (seometimes folded so it's not for your collectibles) and the disc on the other. This fits in an ally case, the sort of thing repair techs use for tools etc but smaller. It came out of a supermarket IIRC and is like the Maplin offering. I have one filled with compilations, the other is empty and will get the magazine freebies when I feel like it.
Old 01-04-10, 06:22 AM

I have just placed an order with Univenture in Ireland for a box of 1000 Viewpack XG delivered for 120 euros. The link below shows what it looks like. The tray card will need a bit of trimming but that seems a small sacrifice for an item well made, with fleecy support for one or two discs at a fraction of the price of a Fleecepack.
Phil.
http://www.univenture.com/shop/viewp...pack_of_10.php
Old 13-04-10, 12:45 AM

They arrived yesterday and are excellent quality. The drawing on the link above is not easy to interpret. There is a pocket in the front open along the fold line (the XG bit) which the booklet slides into. The tray insert I have found I can fold to make a little narrower and it then slides into the pocket behind the disc (or if you wanted to store two discs and did not want the insert ...). The completed item is about 3.2mm thick and so three will fit into the space of one jewel case. They are a few mm taller than a jewel case and a little shorter. The only real disadvantage of storing CDs this way is you no longer have the spine to help you find what you are looking for or to browse, all of the things mentioned in this thread seem to be the same in this regard.

There is a wide range of other Univenture products and if you email or phone the European distributors in Ireland I'm sure Naoise (pronounced neesha) would give you a quote.

Phil.
Old 15-06-11, 03:02 PM

Does anyone know if the sleeves sold by http://www.wydr.nl are available in the UK?
Old 16-06-11, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUYCALLEDSIMON View Post
I replaced approx 1500 CD covers with plastic wallets from Jazzloft http://www.jazzloft.com/p-49162-200-...-included.aspx

Massive space saving, and made a house move significantly easier (and lighter)
I'm thinking of trying those. Is there anything bad about them that you can think of? How easy is to read the "spines"?

BTW is the CD "jewel box" the worse piece of design ever foisted on the buying public, and who was the moron who gave it that name anyway? A container that's 100 times more fragile than the thing it's supposed to protect FFS!

Edit: I see I was replying to something from 2009, but if you're still around I'd be really interested in your comments.

Last edited by Nik; 16-06-11 at 05:43 AM.
Old 16-06-11, 05:44 AM

Someone on here kindly sent me a sample of one of those. It seemed very flimsy compared with the Viewpacks I ended up with. I doubt you will be able to read the spine with either of these options.