pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 13-08-17, 02:42 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purite Audio View Post
M3's M20's ( originally owned M2's when they were introduced ) M1's and owned M10's for twenty years, all super speakers the M1's in particular are really good!
Keith
Keith,

Years ago when I replaced my M1's with M10's it was a close call. In a few ways the M1's were a better speaker. More extended in the bass and a little more coherent (less drivers?). Also if you had one of premium finishes like the 'oiled walnut' I had on lone once (mine were black ash) they looked absolutely stunning.

The M10's 'image' and disappear in the room better and that is why I finally settled on them. Close call though and if you don't believe 'soundstage' is important then they are the better speaker IMHO.

Interestingly there at least two different configurations of M1's. Most came with the large ABR in the back, but I again had a loan pair once in rosewood, that I think were Alan Boothroyds, they had a downward facing port instead above where the amp packs were. I preferred the ABR.
Old 13-08-17, 02:49 AM
Trade: Purite Audio

Chris Hi, there is a possibility, Kii distribute themselves within the UK, so the show would have to be with their assistance, when I visited last year it appeared a really well organised show but attendance was extremely low.
Keith
Old 13-08-17, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poco a poco View Post
Keith,

Years ago when I replaced my M1's with M10's it was a close call. In a few ways the M1's were a better speaker. More extended in the bass and a little more coherent (less drivers?). Also if you had one of premium finishes like the 'oiled walnut' I had on lone once (mine were black ash) they looked absolutely stunning.

The M10's 'image' and disappear in the room better and that is why I finally settled on them. Close call though and if you don't believe 'soundstage' is important then they are the better speaker IMHO.

Interestingly there at least two different configurations of M1's. Most came with the large ABR in the back, but I again had a loan pair once in rosewood, that I think were Alan Boothroyds, they had a downward facing port instead above where the amp packs were. I preferred the ABR.
The chap I bought mine from told me that every pair he had owned were different, he mentioned that they were initially released under a different company, unfortunately I have forgotten the name.
I would like your M10's if you ever decide to change!
BW Keith
Old 13-08-17, 02:55 AM
pfm Member

Please don't scrape a screwdriver round a vc gap, don't overfill with ferrofluid, watch out for cotton wool fibres(if you follow the bud action in that vid......) hard to see easy to hear..

Here's just one of a dozen pages of ferrotec audio ferrofluids; https://ferrofluid.ferrotec.com/prod...d-audio/apg-s/

My Tannoy tulip drivers use APG S18, my JBL compression drivers use APG S38, no idea what the T33 used.

Last edited by cooky1257; 13-08-17 at 10:03 AM.
Old 13-08-17, 04:35 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I didn't think the KEF T52 used ferrofluid. The T33 as used in the later M20 did IIRC.
Thank you for that, it's rather reassuring.

They're certainly the best 300 purchase I've made. I first heard them at a Manchester airport show in the 80s and had essentially wanted a pair since them.
Old 13-08-17, 05:22 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purite Audio View Post
The chap I bought mine from told me that every pair he had owned were different, he mentioned that they were initially released under a different company, unfortunately I have forgotten the name.
I would like your M10's if you ever decide to change!
BW Keith
I think it may have been Orpheus the company Boothroyd Stuart bought out? They had a precurser pre & power to the 101 / 103, 105 and I think an active similar to the M1's.

May be I could be tempted to change by the Kii's, except for A to D then D to A conversion.

Mostly all analogue here with vintage TT as well.
Old 13-08-17, 05:28 AM

Yes Orpheus that rings a bell, re the A/D, D/A on the Kii's I feel it is completely transparent but it is impossible to actually compare because the Kii's processing can't be bypassed.
I do however firmly believe that the Kii's advantages far outweigh any A/D concerns.
Keith
Old 13-08-17, 06:42 AM
pfm Member

I lusted after the M2 as I had heard them on several occasions at my local hifi emporium (Eulipion Audio on Wilmslow Rd, M14). Many years later I got a pair out of nostalgia c/w the 101B preamp. They didn't sound half bad either with the 101B, but really came into their own when I replaced the old Meridian preamp with the Naim 552 and come custom Y-cables from Flashback.
Old 13-08-17, 07:41 AM
The Man who had no Naim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontoolsie View Post
I lusted after the M2 as I had heard them on several occasions at my local hifi emporium (Eulipion Audio on Wilmslow Rd, M14). Many years later I got a pair out of nostalgia c/w the 101B preamp. They didn't sound half bad either with the 101B, but really came into their own when I replaced the old Meridian preamp with the Naim 552 and come custom Y-cables from Flashback.
Hmmm, that's interesting, I suppose the preamp may well be a weak link. Mine are currently being driven from a 101B with sources being either a NACD3.5-Flatcap or RaspberryPi-Numerik. I might try slotting in a spare NAC102

Shifting 1s & 0s since 1968
Old 13-08-17, 09:01 AM
pfm Member

I used a 101B initially, replaced with a Musical Fidelity the Pre. I then won a competition for a pair of M3s, their new modular pre and a Logic DM 101. Meridian were brilliant and agreed it would make more sense to upgrade my M2s so gave me new amps, way better stands, much better cables and a modular pre with the modules of my choice. Many years later I tried them with my Supratek pre amp and realised I'd been letting them down big style. Currently running an Audio Mirror pre which I'm told was based on an Audionote design. All running from a Purepower APS 700. Spookily, given the valve pre, if the lights weren't on, ear to the M2s, you wouldn't know the system was even on. All way less paranioa than worrying about the 32 valves in my main system and all this delight using an old Technics cd player as a source? weird
While not having the height info of 6ft high horns or the bass from two subs, they don't lack for much else:-)

Last edited by Si74; 13-08-17 at 09:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 13-08-17, 09:15 AM
pfm Member

Have a look on Facebook for Meridian Repair Shop - they repair all Meridian gear
Old 13-08-17, 09:45 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneills View Post
Have a look on Facebook for Meridian Repair Shop - they repair all Meridian gear
Unfortunately no longer in business and it seems they have now also closed their website that indicted this. I think the Facebook page only has old info & quotes.
Old 13-08-17, 09:55 AM
pfm Member

Sorry to hear that and also sorry for posting duff info.

The M2's were my first real HiFi and I always missed them after letting them go for a Krell Pre driving two huge Beard M70 monoblocks and Magneplaners.

So I bought some M20's and a 208 CD/Pre - they are still to be reckoned with today.

Last edited by oneills; 15-08-17 at 12:55 PM.
Old 13-08-17, 01:11 PM
Tapehead

I have 2 pairs of M2s (don't ask as its a painful tail, documented elsewhere here).

I've had a peep inside the working pair and there is nothing scary on the amp boards.
All fairly standard stuff. Schematics are difficult to obtain for tha actual M2 amplifier, however the amplifier is basically an old Lecson design trimmed back to handle less current. It's also very close to the 105 schematic as you'd expect.
There are no known bad transistors used (unlike in lots of old Japanese kit) so a straightforward recap and bias check should be all you'd ever need for working boards.

Worth spot checking caps for ESR and also the dc offset since the drivers are connected directly to the amplifiers. A bad amp fault will kill the drivers.
Old 13-08-17, 01:28 PM
pfm Member

Thanks for that Robert, beyond my knowledge but seems like a sensible precaution so may have them checked out as I'd hate to loose them after all their years of sterling service.