pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > d.i.y.

Notices

Old 14-08-17, 11:45 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpopely View Post
So what is the Tranquility getting rid of then? I have some run-out track recordings where you can hear and see the reduction in noise.
Obviously if you can hear a reduction in noise you must be able to hear (and measure) the noise in the first place - I don`t have an Lp12 so I have no idea what they are normally like but I have always assumed that noisy bearings would not be an issue with pretty much any decent turntable and that motor generated noise would always be a much more serious problem.
Old 14-08-17, 01:01 PM
100% Analogue

One can hear reduced noise in a run-out groove, one can see reduced noise in a frequency plot and one can hear the effect on the music. All this can be A/B compared without altering any other parameters like arm collar tension, VTA, tracking weight etc. In addition the so called 'closed loop' is entirely maintained. Instead of armchair theorising why it can't work why not do as I (and others) have done and do some actual research.
Old 14-08-17, 01:39 PM
pfm Member

I`m sorry, I should have read further back in the thread rather than simply questioning what appeared to be a rather bald statement.
Since I have not encountered bearing noise problems I have always assumed they were a non issue with decent equipment but I do not question the findings of people who have gone to a great deal more trouble looking at this than I ever will.
Old 14-08-17, 02:25 PM
situation engineer

You just hear it as part of the overall noise of the deck. I'd say it's a subtle reduction, audible in isolation as when comparing run out noise samples. But not so gross as to be impinging on play back, just noticeable when removed.

Try the samples.