pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > off topic

Notices

Old 12-08-17, 05:15 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R View Post
I was primarily unhappy that the courts chose to get in between Parliament and government, at the behest of a private citizen. It seemed to be a question that didn't need answering, because if Parliament is sovereign then it doesn't need the courts to tell the government how to behave.

You can read the full judgement at https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/do...6-judgment.pdf it is quite interesting.

Paul
The courts didn't choose anything, parliament sets the rules and the courts enforce them.

you are upset that someone disagreed with you and are basically having a tantrum.
Old 13-08-17, 12:03 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
I was primarily unhappy that the courts chose to get in between Parliament and government, at the behest of a private citizen. It seemed to be a question that didn't need answering, because if Parliament is sovereign then it doesn't need the courts to tell the government how to behave.

Paul
Nonsense. Parliament is sovereign and sets the laws, but is still subject to the laws it has itself set and to that end has to abide by any court decisions relating to the law.
Old 13-08-17, 03:35 AM
pfm Member

Quote:

You can read the full judgement at https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/do...6-judgment.pdf it is quite interesting.

Paul
My recollection is that all the noises coming out of government were that it was not intending to give Parliament the chance to fulfil the role it clearly had, on the subject. Parliament, at the time, seemed to be so shellshocked it appeared to be passively rolling over and accepting that. Faced with this, it is surely right that somebody stood up and got the courts to insist that both sides of the executive did the thing they were supposed to do, and had been elected to do. For which, various parties were branded enemies of the people.
Old 13-08-17, 07:00 AM
oh, Jeremy Corbyn!

Quote:
This is ignorant bollocks start to end. Why do you feel the need to spew falsehoods all over your forum?

Paul
Your delusional beliefs re: possession of a holy grail of all knowledge will be your undoing.
Old 14-08-17, 01:25 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski View Post
The courts didn't choose anything, parliament sets the rules and the courts enforce them.
Which is obviously why we need a court to make a decision. Decision, means a choice. Did you read the dissenting opinions?

It was completely within the court's power to step back from interposing itself between Parliament and government.

Quote:
you are upset that someone disagreed with you and are basically having a tantrum.
What?

I'm upset about the idiocy and ignorance on display here and elsewhere, but in this particular case I had it exactly right.

Looking forward to seeing those threatening Gina Miller in court and then jail, a direct threat is much more serious than our looney aristocrat's criminal activity.

Paul
Old 14-08-17, 01:50 PM
Unicorns fart glitter.

Had you thought about emigrating?
Old 14-08-17, 02:16 PM
A pig ignorant tw*t apparently

Quote:
I'm upset about the idiocy and ignorance on display here and elsewhere.
If you posted less frequently there would be less of it about.
Old 14-08-17, 02:31 PM
Unicorns fart glitter.

Quote:

Looking forward to seeing those threatening Gina Miller in court and then jail, a direct threat is much more serious than our looney aristocrat's criminal activity.

Paul
That took you over a month from when this thread condemning the attacks on Gina Miller was opened. By comparison Trump only took 48 hours to condemn the Charlottesville mob. Trump wins.
Old 15-08-17, 02:30 PM
pfm Member

So I was supposed to condemn something before Gina Miller announced it to the Guardian? Brave New World.

And I think you have your Trump time line wrong. The issue is that he was supposed to single out the Nazi element, his Corbynesque original statement not being deemed adequate by those seeking rote condemnation of the obviously vile.

Paul
Old 28-08-17, 08:25 AM
pfm Member

Toff seems to have withdrawn his appeal against the sentence. I suspect learning that the sentence could also be increased if things didn't go his way might have been a deciding factor.
Old 28-08-17, 09:03 AM
I heard that, pardon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Pertwee-Tyr View Post
Toff seems to have withdrawn his appeal against the sentence. I suspect learning that the sentence could also be increased if things didn't go his way might have been a deciding factor.
The message was that it likely would. Toff's lawyer then put that to his client and his enthusiasm for an appeal waned.
Old 28-08-17, 10:02 AM
pfm Member

I was tempted to start a gofundme appeal to cover his legal costs when I heard that.
Old 28-08-17, 12:51 PM
Unicorns fart glitter.

He's completely skint, so he'll save on his utility bills while inside. I assume other "like-minded individuals" are coughing up for his QC's ill conceived approach to the appeal court.