pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > reference

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-14, 01:33 AM
the band not the dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysan View Post
ToTo Man; Can you share what you've got in there as far as acoustic treatments go? (Particularly the corner traps).
Sure, I wrote a detailed piece a few weeks ago on the process/results of treating my room (see http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...d.php?t=146435)
Old 03-01-14, 03:07 AM
pfm Member

I'm not usually a one for posting system pics, and this is not a good pic.

This time though I wanted to. Those who know me will be aware that an awful lot of good audio equipment has passed through this room over the past decade. For my particular needs however, this setup is the best and most enjoyable I have heard, and amongst the three best I have enjoyed anywhere when it comes to fulfilling my requirements.

My needs are simple. I rarely if ever listen at levels exceeding 90db at the listening position. I often listen at below 70db so it's important that the system maintains it's balance and detail at low levels. I listen to all sorts of music from chamber music to dub and jungle. The system must therefore be full range.

All of the constituent parts play their role. The Berning pre and power are remarkable to my ears - undoubtedly adding something but that something adds to all forms of music. The Focals were a complete surprise. I expected to hate the things which I took as part of a deal. Instead I find them remarkable and so engaging. The Linn 5150 plays an important role in adding completely seamless foundation - undoubtedly the best bargain in subs I have come across and the easiest to integrate with the valve amplifiers.

Finally the sources are well matched. The system allows for real enjoyment from both digital and analogue sources which is how it should be. I don't go in for much in the way of tweaks and setup these days save for very careful positioning of the loudspeakers and listening position. All in all, very happy. I might buy some big vintage JBL's for the occasional nostalgia trip down Blue Note alley but apart from that, I really could not better this given my requirements and my past experience.
Old 03-01-14, 03:21 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
I'm not usually a one for posting system pics, and this is not a good pic.

This time though I wanted to. Those who know me will be aware that an awful lot of good audio equipment has passed through this room over the past decade. For my particular needs however, this setup is the best and most enjoyable I have heard, and amongst the three best I have enjoyed anywhere when it comes to fulfilling my requirements.

My needs are simple. I rarely if ever listen at levels exceeding 90db at the listening position. I often listen at below 70db so it's important that the system maintains it's balance and detail at low levels. I listen to all sorts of music from chamber music to dub and jungle. The system must therefore be full range.

All of the constituent parts play their role. The Berning pre and power are remarkable to my ears - undoubtedly adding something but that something adds to all forms of music. The Focals were a complete surprise. I expected to hate the things which I took as part of a deal. Instead I find them remarkable and so engaging. The Linn 5150 plays an important role in adding completely seamless foundation - undoubtedly the best bargain in subs I have come across and the easiest to integrate with the valve amplifiers.

Finally the sources are well matched. The system allows for real enjoyment from both digital and analogue sources which is how it should be. I don't go in for much in the way of tweaks and setup these days save for very careful positioning of the loudspeakers and listening position. All in all, very happy. I might buy some big vintage JBL's for the occasional nostalgia trip down Blue Note alley but apart from that, I really could not better this given my requirements and my past experience.
Lovely setup. Are you running an LP12 and an SME?
Old 03-01-14, 03:33 AM
pfm Member

Thank you HTM and yes I am. One of these days I'll wire up a little mixer between them
Old 03-01-14, 03:34 AM
Plasticine Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTo Man View Post
Thanks . I like the Yamaha A-S1000 a lot. Very smooth yet impressively detailed and transparent. Can't fault it really. Plus I'm ecstatic to finally have an amp with remote control volume!
Excellent! The Yamaha - from your description - sounds as though it would be similar to my Sony 770ES. A big, meaty presentation which is very, very listenable and favouring no one particular style of music.

Yes - isn't r/c great!!
Old 03-01-14, 05:07 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
Yes - isn't r/c great!!
That's one thing I miss! No r/c facility here

It has been a while since I posted a system shot. Here's where things stand as of Jan 2014

My HiFi Jan 2014 by Koopa-Troopa, on Flickr

Lefty
Old 03-01-14, 07:15 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
My needs are simple. I rarely if ever listen at levels exceeding 90db at the listening position. I often listen at below 70db so it's important that the system maintains it's balance and detail at low levels.
Interesting - this a real bug bear of mine. Most of the time, I listen at low levels and I've found that very few systems are capable of maintaining my interest at these levels. Those that are often get the balance wrong at the other end of the volume scale - i.e. they become aggressive and shouty at loud volumes.

I am familiar with the Fletcher–Munson curves and the justification for having a 'loudness' button for low volumes, but most kit I'm interested in doesn't have this feature.

I've found that the best approach for getting around this problem is to marry high sensitivity speakers to pure class A amplifiers.

Lefty
Old 03-01-14, 07:28 AM
Plasticine Dog

Looking good Lefty!

Good comment re the low volume thing. Where we live now, I'm very fortunate that I can listen at any volume I like (nearest neighbours are 30 yds away) but for serious listening I don't have things loud, and with acoustic/classical listen at the volumes it would be heard live - ie not particularly loud at all.

Best amp/speaker I owned for low-volume was when I had the chance to borrow (whilst he was fixing my Expo IX) an MF Silver pre from Peter at Deco Audio, linked up to my WAD KaT34 power amp. It was uncanny how it could show dynamic differentiation at low volumes. A joy, shame I couldn't afford to buy it.
Old 03-01-14, 07:28 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC View Post
StephenB: what TV is that - I rather like the lack of bezel...
Samsung F8000
Old 03-01-14, 07:37 AM
pfm Member

Ignore the messy cables at the back and the lopsided TV as I can't be bothered to tidy them yet. The EB2's are new and sound great with the brio

Rega Brio-r
Rega DAC
Rega Apollo-r
Rega RP6
ZYX R50 bloom
Tom Evans microgroove
Mogami interconnects
Tellurium Q black speaker cable
EB Acoustics EB2 speakers
Custom designs speaker stands
Sonos ZP80
Sonos Play 1 x2

Think the system has real synergy now and sounds great on most types of music.

Old 03-01-14, 08:00 AM
Numb Nut

Merlin
Those Focals are fugley, what model are they?
Old 03-01-14, 08:05 AM
Administrator

No change in the main rig, still as it was last year aside from the Tannoys now have grilles to keep the dust of and protect them from the non-existant sun, plus I've rearranged things on the table (Apollo now by 301, Dac & 34/306 beneath). System #2 (TV/office/studio) is a bit different though:

Music kit mostly not pictured (Shergold bass, Moog Voyager, MiniBrute, Logic Pro X etc), MacBook Pro, Focusrite ADC/DAC, TV, Sony SACD player, Audio Synthesis PAS-02, Quad 303, Klipsch La Scala, 2 x BK XXLS400-DF subs. Still a work in progress as I intend to fiddle with the La Scalas crossovers etc a bit, but certainly promising.
Old 03-01-14, 08:09 AM
What's this all about then?

New fire Tony?
Old 03-01-14, 08:38 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzer View Post
Merlin
Those Focals are fugley, what model are they?

Diablo Utopia Muzzer and to my eyes, one of the best looking stand mounts I have come across. Each to their own.
Old 03-01-14, 08:51 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
Looking good Lefty!

Good comment re the low volume thing. Where we live now, I'm very fortunate that I can listen at any volume I like (nearest neighbours are 30 yds away) but for serious listening I don't have things loud, and with acoustic/classical listen at the volumes it would be heard live - ie not particularly loud at all.

Best amp/speaker I owned for low-volume was when I had the chance to borrow (whilst he was fixing my Expo IX) an MF Silver pre from Peter at Deco Audio, linked up to my WAD KaT34 power amp. It was uncanny how it could show dynamic differentiation at low volumes. A joy, shame I couldn't afford to buy it.
Thanks matey

How are you getting on with the A30? Am I right in saying that you still have your Sony 770ES as well? If so, are you just chopping and changing between them as the mood takes, or is the long term plan to sell one of them and keep the other?

Also, interesting that you cite the Music First Silver TVC in the system which you said performed well at low volumes. I am also running a TVC at the moment (a Silvercore Preamp One, originally from Peter at Deco) and I must say I'm hugely impressed with it!

Silvercore Preamp One by Koopa-Troopa, on Flickr

Lefty