Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > reference

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-14, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemused View Post
New fire Tony?
More a gaping unfinished hole in the wall covered by a TV standing on a 7" singles flight-case!
Old 03-01-14, 09:13 AM
Plasticine Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Thanks matey

How are you getting on with the A30? Am I right in saying that you still have your Sony 770ES as well? If so, are you just chopping and changing between them as the mood takes, or is the long term plan to sell one of them and keep the other?

Lefty
Yes, am enjoying the A30 very much - it's a nicely versatile bit of kit, and whilst it doesn't really like the ProAcs (they need a lot more power to be fair) it makes the 2010's sing very sweetly and will summon some decent levels from them.

Surprisingly, the Sony sounds fairly similar both in terms of tonal quality and detail. The A30 has the edge - at a push - on transparency but the Sony wins back on sheer clout and dynamism. I could easily keep either amp but if one goes it'll probably be the A30, unless I can track down some Snell K's.
Old 03-01-14, 09:15 AM
LOTUS Hifi

I never seem to have a permanent configuration for very long these days and sadly don't get enough leisure time to listen either.

Here's one side of the room at the mo though. Will probably be completely different next week !

Old 03-01-14, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

Very nice Lotus. Which amplification you prefer as your personal favorite?
Old 03-01-14, 09:47 AM
Musical Bons

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus340r View Post

I've got one of those now is it.

(The turntable lamp, not those other boxes there)

DS
Old 03-01-14, 11:05 AM
LOTUS Hifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozi2 View Post
Very nice Lotus. Which amplification you prefer as your personal favorite?
Still love CJ although I don't sell it new. Love all the Allnic stuff obviously but then it is pretty special, particularly the DHT stuff and the SETs. Not really a solid state man but if I moved back to transistor gear then Vitus would be my pick.

Heard plenty of other kit I like to be honest, there is so much good stuff out there but its mostly valves and more esoteric type of stuff that gets me ... shindo, joule electra, zanden, absolare, wavac etc.
Old 03-01-14, 11:35 AM
What's this all about then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony L View Post
More a gaping unfinished hole in the wall covered by a TV standing on a 7" singles flight-case!
Maybe a DVD of a nice roaring fire playing on the TV as a stop gap
Old 03-01-14, 11:40 AM
pfm Member

Great to see some superb systems on here as usual.

After 25 years of Naim ownership with a fantastic diversion into the valve world via the Berning, i've settled on the best of both worlds.

Old 03-01-14, 11:43 AM
pfm Member

Merlin, that's Raiders of the Lost Dub on the left there! I didn't know anyone else had that LP!
It's one of my favourites, some great Sly + Robbie and it fully complies with my number 1 rule of dub - the best albums have the worst covers.
Vince
Old 03-01-14, 12:45 PM
pfm Member

Good spot Vince

I think the original UK album was withdrawn for copyright reasons soon after it's release which was a shame. As you say, some great mixes on there.
Old 03-01-14, 12:50 PM
Banned

Merlin, those speakers look bloody ludicrous. Get some ATCs ASAP.

Coupe-sport lives in a show-home. I live in a shithouse.
Old 03-01-14, 01:13 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe-sport View Post

After 25 years of Naim ownership with a fantastic diversion into the valve world via the Berning, i've settled on the best of both worlds.

Nice room, James! Did you have the PMCs with your previous system(s), and how's the Dev at driving them?
Old 03-01-14, 02:00 PM
pfm Member

Quote:

Some looking amp!

Why did you get rid of the naim?
Old 04-01-14, 02:52 AM
pfm Member

Bub - this is a rare tidy shot after the christmas decorations were removed and the dog hadn't moved his vast toy collection back in.

Matt - The PMC's have been with me quite a while now. The Devialet drives them superbly and at levels i didn't think they'd find comfortable. I'm not a volume freak but when i want to turn the wick up, it just goes louder and louder with no hint of strain.

Robert - I just got to the point with Naim of wondering why i really needed so many boxes to play music. The turning point was putting a Nait XS in to my system and finding it didn't really sound too much different so i ended up downsizing to a Nait XS / FC XS and found that to be a very enjoyable combination and rather more consistent in day to day performance. Once i'd satisfied myself that the Devialets internal Ethernet card bettered the NDX as a S/PDIF source then that ended my Naim ownership late last year although i still have my first CB140 tucked away for a future project :-)
Old 04-01-14, 04:59 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Bub - this is a rare tidy shot after the christmas decorations were removed and the dog hadn't moved his vast toy collection back in.

Matt - The PMC's have been with me quite a while now. The Devialet drives them superbly and at levels i didn't think they'd find comfortable. I'm not a volume freak but when i want to turn the wick up, it just goes louder and louder with no hint of strain.

Robert - I just got to the point with Naim of wondering why i really needed so many boxes to play music. The turning point was putting a Nait XS in to my system and finding it didn't really sound too much different so i ended up downsizing to a Nait XS / FC XS and found that to be a very enjoyable combination and rather more consistent in day to day performance. Once i'd satisfied myself that the Devialets internal Ethernet card bettered the NDX as a S/PDIF source then that ended my Naim ownership late last year although i still have my first CB140 tucked away for a future project :-)
How are you feeding music to the Devialet in the absence of the NDX? Do you have a laptop hidden there somewhere or an alternative streaming device?
Closed Thread