pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > reference

Notices

Old 19-03-17, 06:53 AM
pfm Member

DIY SBL Gaskets

Can anyone share the inner and outer dimensions of an SBL gasket?
Old 19-03-17, 08:41 AM
Trade Central Audio

SBL

17 cm x 14
13.5 cm x 11
Old 19-03-17, 09:16 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Audio View Post
17 cm x 14
13.5 cm x 11
Many thanks
Old 19-03-17, 09:27 AM
pfm Member

I'm curious...
Are you going to make your own?
The kits are unjustifiably expense for what they are.
I know my seals are broken yet they still sound good to me so I've been wary of risking outlay of about 120 when I might make matters worse breaking seals completely to start again.
I'd be interested to hear your progress and whether it was worth the move.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 19-03-17, 10:16 AM
pfm Member

Pictures too please...would like to see where no man dare go...
Old 19-03-17, 10:53 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimngame View Post
I'm curious...
Are you going to make your own?
The kits are unjustifiably expense for what they are.
I know my seals are broken yet they still sound good to me so I've been wary of risking outlay of about 120 when I might make matters worse breaking seals completely to start again.
I'd be interested to hear your progress and whether it was worth the move.
Cheers,
Mark
The gasket kits are indeed unjustifiably expensive, see my post about sbl Mk1 phase plugs for the name of the firm I bought a sheet of self adhesive (one side only) neoprene foam from. 5mm thick, 500mm x 1000mm for 13 and free delivery I reckon that's about 18 gaskets worth! I suspect it's the same stuff that Naim used, and the scrap pieces from the hole in the middle of the gaskets look suspiciously like the foam rubber bonded to the aluminium plates that they used for their "dampers" - waste not want not!
Old 19-03-17, 11:53 AM
Box-swapper extraordinaire

I believe the exact correct thickness is 6mm, though I imagine with the silocone sealant added it can't really matter. At least that's what Mark is using.

Let us know how it goes Mark!
Old 19-03-17, 02:07 PM
pfm Member

Thanks Ian! The SBLs had broken seals and, to my pleasant surprise, washing up liquid had been used prior to sealing them. The silicone came away relatively easily from the middle box (a bit of gentle application from the edge of a new Stanley blade removed the remainder). The 'gasket' was made of strips of self adhesive neoprene tape arranged on each side of the lower box opening. I pulled these off and used furniture polish to soften and remove the remnants of adhesive.

A few sheets of neoprene had been included in the sale. I measured the opening in the lower box, measured and cut a square that was 20mm bigger than the opening. I cut the internal edges of the sheet to make a gasket that sat over the opening. A smear of washing up liquid and a steady 5-6mm bead of clear B&Q silicone was applied, the mid box was lowered into position. Once the sealant has set (24 hours) the speakers can be moved around with care. Kneel before them, lean the side of your head against the lower box, get your hands in a good position under the bottom of the steel frame, then move a bit at a time to the side, forwards and backwards. Make sure the spikes are level. Play some music....

After a lot of experimentation I have found the best position for them and everything has come together nicely: smooth, but detailed treble and a solid tuneful bass.

However, I've realised after looking at the Tom Tom website that the gaskets are rectangular. Hence the question asked above. I'll cut the new gaskets and fit them tomorrow, with pics at each stage.

Remember, the 120 is plus VAT, that is 144 for two pieces of cut neoprene, a small tube of silicone, eight pieces of 0.28mm aluminium sheet and sixteen staples (that you will probably never use!)

Here's a few links:

Neoprene: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/121215824485

Aluminium sheet:
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/272029424701

Silicone:
http://www.diy.com/departments/diall.../268959_BQ.prd

Veneer pins:
http://www.diy.com/departments/avf-v.../250510_BQ.prd

For around 20 you can treat your SBLs to a new gasket and sealant (and have many more applications left over)... 144? I don't think so.
Old 19-03-17, 03:14 PM
Box-swapper extraordinaire

I'll always have a soft spot for SBLs. Those are as nice a pair as we'll see, I believe.

Post some pics when you're ready!
Old 19-03-17, 03:32 PM
pfm Member

I've overstated the gasket kit price. It's 130.66 including delivery....still expensive though?
Old 20-03-17, 02:01 AM
pfm Member

Haha glad to see I'm not alone MadMike
Old 20-03-17, 03:12 AM
Senior Moment Member

I've just done this on my SBLs. Used an A4 sheet of 4mm neoprene (I originally bought 6mm but found it to be too thick). The A4 sheet was about 3 on EBay and did two gaskets. You're right the bathroom seal can take up any thickness.
I thought mine were sounding quite good but I wanted to move them and I thought I'd set them up properly. When I took them apart I found that the self adhesive on the originals was perished so they weren't making a proper seal. Key thing is to clean all of that off.
Now it's all done I can honestly say they're sounding the best they ever have. Anyone who says SBLs don't do bass is just wrong
Old 20-03-17, 07:16 PM
pfm Member

This has been a great thread.
It's persuaded me to have a go at resealing my sbls and the links make it reassuring to know I'd be purchasing the right kit.
Good to hear experiences of others too
Old 21-03-17, 12:27 AM
Senior Moment Member

Here's a link to the owners manual which I sourced from hifi engine
https://app.box.com/s/nk6llc2k62z8k5use3k5tjt5kn43lp3u
Old 21-03-17, 02:38 AM
pfm Member

Here's where I started, with a ruler, a sharp knife and a steady hand...