pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 18-09-17, 12:51 PM
pfm Member

I'm using a Power Inspired AG500 regenerator. It also doubles as a UPS.
Great bit of kit is running at a comfortable 44% with my Smart Tv, Sky box, Dac and EQ runnnng off it. A bargain upgrade removing noise from the system, letting more detail through.
Old 18-09-17, 01:17 PM

I've ordered some leads (Chord) to connect the DAC to the preamp, to replace my current 30 year old ones which were bought from the cheapest supplier on Tottenham Court Road.

I'm really intrigued by this discussion of mains transformers - I didn't realise they existed, and I want to try one - as long as I can just plug it in and as long as I can return it if it doesn't satisfy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Basically I'm so thrilled at the impact that my DAC is making to the sound of my system (the DAC is new), it's like I can hear real music for the first time in my room, that I'm ready to go a bit further with hifi. I can see why you all get so excited by it all!

(Actually I've just seen that the above mentioned Power Inspired product can be tried for 14 days.)
Old 18-09-17, 03:19 PM
100% Analogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdog View Post
Why do they loose 60/70% or their RRP value the day after you have bought them if they make so much difference ?

The first person to borrow my Airlink balanced transformer, has also borrowed a 2K Chord interconnect to audition.

Guess which he has decided to buy.
Oh, that's me . I've only just read this thread but it is true that a couple of days after trying Paul's Airlink transformer I have placed an order for one (3000VA). It's also true that I have recently had on loan a 1500 interconnect and one at 2100; the Airlink made the bigger and more fundamental improvement (and I use a very different system to Paul's).
Old 18-09-17, 03:49 PM
Not the canine kind

At a quarter of the cost.
Old 19-09-17, 01:00 AM
100% Analogue

Well yes, the Airlink I have ordered is their penultimate model and still a quarter the cost of the Chord Sarum T I have on loan. If you go for a more basic model (add your own 13A sockets) it's cheaper still.
Old 19-09-17, 02:32 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNWOAN View Post
Oh, that's me . I've only just read this thread but it is true that a couple of days after trying Paul's Airlink transformer I have placed an order for one (3000VA). It's also true that I have recently had on loan a 1500 interconnect and one at 2100; the Airlink made the bigger and more fundamental improvement (and I use a very different system to Paul's).
Glad it has been working out. It worked excellently in my old home, but I have some intermittent DC on my mains now and never got around to fitting a DC blocker to stop the buzzing.
Old 19-09-17, 08:58 AM
100% Analogue

One of my Nap135's sometimes hums and that is likely due to DC on the mains (you don't need much). The Airlink almost completely stops this (in my system at least).
Old 19-09-17, 10:45 AM
Naimless

OP don't forget super HiFi fuses. Some who have tried them rave, others keep silent.
Old 19-09-17, 11:33 AM
pfm Member

If you are running ESL 63s you could have a read of this:

http://sanderssoundsystems.com/techn...es-white-paper

and then get some Mogami 3082 and have a go. Various recipes for making up the cables are about online.

PS electrostatics are a little different.
Old 19-09-17, 12:34 PM
100% Analogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnext View Post
OP don't forget super HiFi fuses. Some who have tried them rave, others keep silent.
Out of interest I tried some - they didn't do anything as far as I could tell (as you say, some rave about the difference....).
Old 19-09-17, 12:48 PM
Not the canine kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydog View Post
If you are running ESL 63s you could have a read of this:

http://sanderssoundsystems.com/techn...es-white-paper

and then get some Mogami 3082 and have a go. Various recipes for making up the cables are about online.

PS electrostatics are a little different.

Though the OP is also driving Gradient subs, so not a purely electrostatic load.
More akin to driving Martin Logans.
Old 20-09-17, 04:13 AM
pfm Member

Maybe try some combinations before deciding what it is akin to...
Old 20-09-17, 08:21 AM

Thanks for that paper. The Gradients are powered by a separate amp, so separate leads. I've written an email to Sanders Sounds to see if they can recommend or supply a cable to me.

(added -- I've just seen the reference to Mogami 3082, so that's something I'll also look in to. )