pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 19-06-17, 12:08 PM
Virtual Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidih101 View Post
Bad news, as far as I am concerned, is that I have to get MDAC2 with streamer board whether I want it or not.
John has confirmed, not even a month ago, that the streamer will be optional,
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s....php?p=3116265

(Or have I misunderstood it?)

I personally wouldn't expect extensive functionality from the non-streamer version, but it would be nice to have some basic firmware that can interact via USB (DAC/ADC), switch inputs/filters, change volume, .. basically what MDAC (1) v0.90 does, without the extra bells and whistles.
In case it becomes a maintenance burden, the firmware could probably be "opened" later down the road, to allow others to implement and personalize whatever they want (ie. swap the play/pause IR code for mute code, like on some MDAC FW versions, etc.).
Old 19-06-17, 01:17 PM
pfm Member

John

Is the new front panel that you are referring to necessary/relevant if you do not require/have the streamer pcb fitted? Or is an updated panel that can be fitted and be fully functionally with or without the streamer pcb?

Do you have a likely cost?
Old 19-06-17, 02:05 PM
pfm Member

I have to say that retaining only the sleeve for MDAC2 and effectively junking the perfectly good innards and front/rear panels feels a bit, well, wasteful.
Old 19-06-17, 02:46 PM
Not the canine kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulski View Post
I have to say that retaining only the sleeve for MDAC2 and effectively junking the perfectly good innards and front/rear panels feels a bit, well, wasteful.
Especially when the Fdac will only be a few months later on.

Or is Mdac 2 now the new Fdac ?

Whatever happened to touch screen PC's ??

Why with the streamer board can we not have a PC interface for tinkering with settings.

To me the new front panel seems like another delay/cost and in my view not necessary.
Old 19-06-17, 02:50 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
I'm having trouble getting units for myself - there is massive demand. What's happening is that dealers who get the units are keep them for themselves or for family and friends so that they are not reaching street level in qtys. until we can really ramp up production!
That augers well John, sounds like they really like them !
Old 19-06-17, 03:22 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdog View Post
To me the new front panel seems like another delay/cost and in my view not necessary.
Yes i totally agree, i am getting tired of all these distractions. I actually like tge mdac frontpanel as it is.

Getting my mdac2 this year would be nice, johnW will have plenty if time to make improvements before the pnp machine arrive in september, i would be fine getting it early 2018 too but i dislike being exposed financially to crowdfunding projects and once i get the mdac2 i will be less worried.

Last edited by anjora; 19-06-17 at 04:16 PM.
Old 19-06-17, 03:28 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Why with the streamer board can we not have a PC interface for tinkering with settings.

My guess is you can, if you mean a browser interface when you say PC interface.
At least that is how Volumio normally works.

But on top of that you are also getting a touch screen interface on the DAC customised specially for the MDAC2 (which can probably be reused for FDAC)

So what not to like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjora View Post
Yes i totally agree, i am getting tired of all these distractions.
John is not making the software and the streamer already has the connector to the screen. So can't see much time spend.
Old 19-06-17, 05:40 PM
Trade: Lakewest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint View Post
John

Is the new front panel that you are referring to necessary/relevant if you do not require/have the streamer pcb fitted? Or is an updated panel that can be fitted and be fully functionally with or without the streamer pcb?

Do you have a likely cost?
The display and display touch panel are driven by the CM3 on the streamer PCB - so the front panel update can only be fitted to "streamer" units.
Old 19-06-17, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulski View Post
With MDAC2 this has always been the case - now with the option of also upgrading the front panel.

All innards / Rear panel / PSU where always going to be replaced with the MDAC2 upgrade.

Trust me, with the original MDAC Lelon cap situation none repaired units will not last forever.
Old 19-06-17, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jirij View Post
I personally wouldn't expect extensive functionality from the non-streamer version, but it would be nice to have some basic firmware that can interact via USB (DAC/ADC), switch inputs/filters, change volume, .. basically what MDAC (1) v0.90 does, without the extra bells and whistles.
Correct, the MDAC2 with the original front panel will be offered with pretty much the same software features as current MDAC (no level meters or Bit perfect test) - there's little more that can be done within the bounds of the current display / buttons etc. It will be offered as a legacy solution but all the advance features require the CM3 CPU and Display / touch interface.
Old 19-06-17, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune View Post
It is great to see that there is high demand!

Just shows what you are doing is right.

Getting the Volumio Guys on board was a scoop
Yep, it made the expense of the time and money of the Munich trip worthwhile

And OBVIOUSLY our PFM get together
Old 19-06-17, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansr View Post
That augers well John, sounds like they really like them !
Well, I had a couple of nice comments from some rather unexpected places, so lets see.

The trouble is I've rather lost perspective of what's "expected" sonically at this price point as we listen to the MDAC2/FDAC developmental units...

I really have no idea what a GBP350 should sound like - we just compare it to what we are working on here in the lab!

The Little DAC really benefits from the Detox - but then Detox costs almost as much as the DAC itself!
Old 19-06-17, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Yes increased cost - but the software is not being developed by us, so it SAVES time as we dont need to do this in-house. To this end its very possible that the MDAC2 units with updated front panels will be released ahead of the units with legacy front panel as its a pigs' job to mesh the old front panel MCU to our new design.
Old 19-06-17, 09:25 PM
on the dark side of hifi...

Any previews of the new front panel ready yet?
Old 19-06-17, 09:28 PM

Hi Michael,

Nothing for public release yet - but check your Email