pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old Today, 04:29 AM
pfm Member

In my experience, for older kit (or other items subject to RFI buzzes and clicks) fitting a ferrite clamp-on block more often helps when fitted to speaker cables than mains cables. I am, though, talking of cases where I can hear clicks or fizzes that give me a clear clue that a problem *is* due to RFI rather than something else.

For units like the QUAD 34, a mains filter works nicely here in such situations though.
Old Today, 06:09 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Audiomisc View Post
In my experience, for older kit (or other items subject to RFI buzzes and clicks) fitting a ferrite clamp-on block more often helps when fitted to speaker cables than mains cables. I am, though, talking of cases where I can hear clicks or fizzes that give me a clear clue that a problem *is* due to RFI rather than something else.

For units like the QUAD 34, a mains filter works nicely here in such situations though.
For speaker cables, did you use ferrite clamps at both amp and speaker connections?
Old Today, 06:44 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragaman View Post
Yup, tried this out back in the dark days, did absolutely nothing.
Then why are you claiming your belden cable with an rf shield is doing anything?

Are you sure you have an rf problem?

Last edited by BE718; Today at 07:22 AM.
Old Today, 08:30 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook View Post
For speaker cables, did you use ferrite clamps at both amp and speaker connections?
At the amp end. The point being to 'eat' any RF trying to get from the cable into the amp. Putting ferrite at the speaker end may block RF from the speaker, but not from the cable.
Old Today, 08:31 AM
pfm Member

RE BE.
No clicks or pops as Jim suggests, the ferrite clamp phenomenon was short lived in my system, I placed them on speaker cables too, believing the hype, what a waste of a few quid.
Out of interest, Has anyone measured their performance within a hifi set up, I heard zero improvement or change in SQ.
Old Today, 09:37 AM
Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

Quote:
the ferrite clamp phenomenon was short lived in my system, I placed them on speaker cables too, believing the hype, what a waste of a few quid.
That is what happens when a specific solution to a specific problem is applied without knowing if that specific problem is an issue.

It is all too common in the audiophile world - something solves a specific problem in some system, and suddenly that solution is bandied about in the community as a universal improvement.
Old Today, 09:53 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
RE BE.
No clicks or pops as Jim suggests, the ferrite clamp phenomenon was short lived in my system, I placed them on speaker cables too, believing the hype, what a waste of a few quid.
Out of interest, Has anyone measured their performance within a hifi set up, I heard zero improvement or change in SQ.
Well, look at the bright side. It ain't going to do any harm and the few quid they cost is little compared to some of the stuff we/us spend money on.

Its a bit like a car tyre. You almost certainly never explore the limits of that expensive rubber you paid good money for, mostly because you're told the company also supplies F1 teams and the 'trickle down' factor plays largely. One day, in the rain, on the the highway you may be glad you did.

Its still unlikely you ever get any benefit but hey, it'll make you feel fast
Old Today, 11:01 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerman View Post
Well, look at the bright side. It ain't going to do any harm and the few quid they cost is little compared to some of the stuff we/us spend money on.
Ironically, what I've been saying about the mains cable I own