pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > off topic

Notices

Old Yesterday, 01:25 AM
pfm Member

Face ID will only be optional - you not forced to use it - and I guess many will not - just a shame that fingerprint will be no longer be an option.
Old Yesterday, 01:41 AM
pfm Member

Just picked up this on a review - it seems the X has a fantastic screen but time will tell whether the phone is easy to use - there are a bunch of new swipes to learn, because there is no home button. It is said to be difficult to use one-handed.

So if the incredible screen is not needed then an Iphone 8 could be good option. Of course the 7 has been reduced in price too - good look very attractive.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...ecs-best-worst
Old Yesterday, 01:42 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski View Post
It's a phone, I use it to make and answer calls and in that it's much better than the iPhone,
How so?
Old Yesterday, 01:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenHealey View Post
Just picked up this on a review - it seems the X has a fantastic screen but time will tell whether the phone is easy to use - there are a bunch of new swipes to learn, because there is no home button. It is said to be difficult to use one-handed.

So if the incredible screen is not needed then an Iphone 8 could be good option. Of course the 7 has been reduced in price too - good look very attractive.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...ecs-best-worst
The software behaviour I most liked in the Keynote was the swipe up and hold to get to the task manager. Far neater and more elegant than the double-click of the button or the taptic-squeeze of the screen, both of which I find rather imprecise on my 6S. Good riddence to the home button as far as I'm concerned!
Old Yesterday, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Face ID will only be optional - you not forced to use it - and I guess many will not - just a shame that fingerprint will be no longer be an option.
I was expecting fingerprint ID was going to be built into the screen but hey ho. Looking forward to grabbing an X around Christmas time as a present to myself. I'm too old to expect anyone to buy me one!
Old Yesterday, 02:11 AM
pfm Member

To use Applepay on an Iphone X is going to be much slower.
Old Yesterday, 02:15 AM
Lord of the Erg\o/s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaleblue View Post
Assuming you intend to keep it for three years, the difference in cost is not that great. I've no idea why anyone would buy the 8, to be honest.
That will depend on the user-activation interface. I'm not keen on bringing the phone to my face to unlock it, to be honest. If I can discreetly unlock it with my PIN or TouchID, then that would be my preference.

That being said, I'm more inclined to go whole hog with the X and damn the pesos. I just need a big screen and reasonable portability with my next phone to accommodate presbyopic eyes, clumsy fat fingers and svelte cut suits.
Old Yesterday, 02:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
To use Applepay on an Iphone X is going to be much slower.
Why? Is the facial recognition slower? I was under the impression it was pretty instant.
Old Yesterday, 02:44 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony L View Post
Why? Is the facial recognition slower? I was under the impression it was pretty instant.
The problem is that you cannot hold the fingerprint sensor as you pay, all in one motion as you do now. I think the new sequence is something like:

remove phone from pocket
swipe to wake up - there is no other way
hold up to face to unlock
find the applepay app - hope you put it on you home screen!
authenticate it (face again - no fingerprint mode!)
Then you can put the phone on the reader

Phew!

If you do the early bits ahead of time then you save some time - but one handed use is difficult, and you are there holding a newspaper, bar of chocolate and a reduced price croissant or a bottle of Buckfast.

What I do not know is how long you have between authenticating the applepay app and using it on the reader before it times out.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/20...going-to-suck/
Old Yesterday, 03:03 AM
pfm Member

That's just their guess at it, it's not how it will work.

There will be a short cut from the locked mode just as there is now, probably a double or long press on the 'power' button and then providing you are looking at the phone you will go straight to your selection of cards just as you do now. There will be no need to open the apple pay app. It will be just as quick as it is now providing you can look at the screen.
Old Yesterday, 03:46 AM
pfm Member

Or use the watch and yes you can use apple pay with no phone in range. Wouldn't be surprised if they introduce a fingerprint bit to wallet.
Old Yesterday, 04:32 AM
pfm Member

Looked at the first few and last couple of pages of the thread, but couldn't see a link to this:

What makes the iPhone X so exclusive is it includes some revolutionary arsehole recognition software, as you can see here.

To use it you strip off, bend over, and point the two cameras on the device at your butthole.

"The new iPhone X will recognise the unique arsehole signature of its users and automatically log them in, according to details released today.

"Describing the feature as ‘arsehole recognition’, CEO Tim Cook said the groundbreaking new system was aimed directly at the sort of person who has an Apple and thinks it in some way makes them special or interesting."

Jack
Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM
pfm Member

Well, after a long discussion with Apple, I ordered the Watch. Now I'll be able to leave my phone at home when traveling, since the watch will take calls anywhere in the world. Gets round the dual sim issue neatly. Only downside is the my operator, which does not yet support the e-sim, though Apple assure me - for France, anyway - that the other operators will all provide support shortly.

No plans to change from the 6s. I might think about it when the 8 becomes the second-string product line, but for me it doesn't carry any features I particularly need. What I'd like is Apple Pay, but my bank has no intention of supporting it.
Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avole View Post
Well, after a long discussion with Apple, I ordered the Watch. Now I'll be able to leave my phone at home when traveling, since the watch will take calls anywhere in the world. Gets round the dual sim issue neatly. Only downside is the my operator, which does not yet support the e-sim, though Apple assure me - for France, anyway - that the other operators will all provide support shortly.

No plans to change from the 6s. I might think about it when the 8 becomes the second-string product line, but for me it doesn't carry any features I particularly need. What I'd like is Apple Pay, but my bank has no intention of supporting it.
I've only recently worked up the courage to start using my phone to pay instead of the card. I think i'm now over the customers behind me probably muttering 'to**er'.

Yet to try the watch.

Think you'll love the watch.I find i really miss mine (Series 1) if i'm wearing the G-Shock or Rolex, which hardly get worn now.

Still can't bring myself to sell the Rolex though.
Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbarron View Post
Looked at the first few and last couple of pages of the thread, but couldn't see a link to this:

What makes the iPhone X so exclusive is it includes some revolutionary arsehole recognition software, as you can see here.

To use it you strip off, bend over, and point the two cameras on the device at your butthole.

"The new iPhone X will recognise the unique arsehole signature of its users and automatically log them in, according to details released today.

"Describing the feature as ‘arsehole recognition’, CEO Tim Cook said the groundbreaking new system was aimed directly at the sort of person who has an Apple and thinks it in some way makes them special or interesting."

Jack
We look forward to your results when you buy a phone and try it out!