pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > commerce > classifieds

Notices

Old 23-06-17, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hempknight View Post
The Marantz CD7300 is a very underated player, with a great dac, can be had for the lower end of your budget
I second this, it's head and shoulders above the slightly lower priced Marantz (like CD5000 or CD5001 for eg). Not so easy to come by, but retailed new around 400ish but can be picked up for as low as 80ish now. It may make you reconsider your opinion on Marantz/Japanese.
Old 23-06-17, 08:45 AM
Taking a sabbatical

I'm probably sorted thanks but Marantz players have been the very worst of any I have tried. Hated every one I have come across. Horrible looking too IMO.
Old 23-06-17, 10:31 AM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelzebomb View Post
I second this, it's head and shoulders above the slightly lower priced Marantz (like CD5000 or CD5001 for eg). Not so easy to come by, but retailed new around 400ish but can be picked up for as low as 80ish now. It may make you reconsider your opinion on Marantz/Japanese.
It's a great cd player for the price you can get it for, has an unusual Cyrus Logic dac in it, which is probably why it beats 'better' Marantz players of the era. I still wanna hear their CD10.
Old 23-06-17, 11:18 AM
pfm Member

I'm with you on the usual suspects 63,
67 etc but my 94 mk2 was lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I'm probably sorted thanks but Marantz players have been the very worst of any I have tried. Hated every one I have come across. Horrible looking too IMO.
Old 23-06-17, 12:07 PM
Taking a sabbatical

Had one of those too and hated it. Wasn't as bad as the CD80 though. That thing could strip paint. If Marantz was the only CD player maker, I'd still be vinyl-only.
Old 23-06-17, 01:38 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Had one of those too and hated it. Wasn't as bad as the CD80 though. That thing could strip paint. If Marantz was the only CD player maker, I'd still be vinyl-only.
What was downstream?
Old 23-06-17, 02:04 PM
Taking a sabbatical

Audio innovations 500 and Spica TC50i SE.X. Sweet as a nut with quite a few other players.
Old 23-06-17, 03:41 PM
pfm Member

Most marantz players I have heard have been quite luxurious sounding with only a touch of extended treble but never harsh and sterile.
Maybe you have had some duff ones!
I have a 5005 in a second system and it's superb!
Maybe I'm deaf but I could easily live with it in my main rig.
Then again I love my squeezebox connected direct to my active speakers playing MP3 via USB.
I used to believe in spending fortunes on cdps but learnt the hard/expensive way.
There is nothing wrong with any non British players I can assure you and yes they can do timing and boogie!
Old 24-06-17, 02:19 AM
Learning to bodge again..

Are you sorted? I've a Musical Fidelity A5 if not that is in your range.
Old 24-06-17, 06:41 AM
Taking a sabbatical

Thanks to all. I'm now definitely sorted. I've bought a Meridian 208 and will also buy a Naim CD3 as long as the buyer is happy with my offer (he's away for a few days).

I've never had either player before, although I have had a Meridian 200/203 which I loved, and I've had many Naim players which have ranged from very good to incredible.

I hadn't bargained on having two players but I may actually keep both in the longer term. No harm in a bit of variety.

Thanks to all who have posted. I guess so much of this comes down to personal taste. Anyone remember when they used to say all CD players sounded the same? If only it were that simple