pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > off topic

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #361  
Old 24-06-17, 05:11 AM
Still Still is offline
koteka curious
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 22,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragaman View Post
You need to read the posts before jumping in I feel, read back your 2nd paragraph & think about what was written in my post.
If I've misunderstood please explain.
As previously explained I'm moderately dyslexic, and your punctuation is different, so we probably both need to try harder.

Quote:
As I see it, if you take a stance that the Earth was made in 7 days, as stated in the bible, where does anyone go from here, does anything written after this by any religion actually get any more ludicrous than this based on the evidence we currently own.

This is my point, how does one set of religious beliefs (which are based on stories & faith) hold any more water than another.
None of it can be proven as fact so you either take it all in or not, picking and choosing a non fact based faith is a little pointless.

You either mock all as fairy tales or none as none of it is based in fact.
Lot's of history, yes, but no fact to back up the faith held by the religion where a god is concerned.

I think we need to clarify if your a religious person before proceeding, if your not & have no faith, then which story do you feel holds the most water, do you feel one set of religious beliefs are more true than another, when you consider there are no facts to back them up.
Basically, you need to accept all are equally personally held beliefs of which we should at least accept for the individual or you think one set of beliefs is true & others are not.
I am an atheist, but I don't see religion as a good or bad thing.
The various big religions have achieved many amazing things over the millenia, and continue to do many good things.
But they've also done a lot of dreadful things, and that also continues today.
So my disposition is to be honest - credit the positive, criticise the negative, and scrutiny where appropriate (e.g. abuse/cover-ups/hypocrisy).

If you talk with Christian academics and theologians (or similar of any other religion) they have no problems with grey areas and debating issues.
It's seems to be the angry and in posession of a lap top that have problems with the flexible and contradictory elements of organised religion.
Reply With Quote
  #362  
Old 24-06-17, 06:11 AM
hifinutt hifinutt is offline
hifinutt
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,039
"The various big religions have achieved many amazing things over the millenia, and continue to do many good things.
But they've also done a lot of dreadful things, and that also continues today.
So my disposition is to be honest - credit the positive, criticise the negative, and scrutiny where appropriate (e.g. abuse/cover-ups/hypocrisy)."

absolutely .
Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old 24-06-17, 08:07 AM
blossomchris blossomchris is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still View Post
If you talk with Christian academics and theologians (or similar of any other religion) they have no problems with grey areas and debating issues.
And what about at grass roots level where a more enlightened pov is required.


Bloss
Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old 24-06-17, 08:12 AM
Ragaman Ragaman is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still View Post
I am an atheist, but I don't see religion as a good or bad thing.
The various big religions have achieved many amazing things over the millenia, and continue to do many good things.
But they've also done a lot of dreadful things, and that also continues today.
So my disposition is to be honest - credit the positive, criticise the negative, and scrutiny where appropriate (e.g. abuse/cover-ups/hypocrisy).
This is about where I stand on the issue, it doesn't get any plainer than this as far as i'm concerned.

As far as my earlier post goes, the post you responded to with a quite odd reply, I stated I don't see a problem with anyone moaning about a religious follower knocking on their door when you least want it, we all moan about this I would imagine.
Reply With Quote
  #365  
Old 24-06-17, 08:16 AM
Still Still is offline
koteka curious
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 22,999
Sorry, it was my mistake.
I thought your point was: why would anyone have issues about being targeted for recruitment by JWs, and that iyo everyone is at it.
If that isn't talking at cross purposes I don't know what is! :-D

But that does mean you agree we can't let organised religion operate without scrutiny?

Last edited by Still; 25-06-17 at 12:30 PM. Reason: removed quote and reply
Reply With Quote
  #366  
Old 24-06-17, 08:38 AM
ks.234 ks.234 is offline
pfm Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony L View Post
Whilst we are on the subject of Mark 'E' Everett/Eels his autobiography 'Things The Grandchildren Should Know' really is excellent and at times very funny. Definitely worth a read, and try and get the original hardback as it is a lovely thing. The kind of partnering release in the Eels catalogue 'Blinking Lights And Other Revelations' is their career high-water mark IMO, a superb album.
Also a BBC documentary http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjb...rett-eels_tech
Reply With Quote
  #367  
Old 25-06-17, 12:35 PM
Still Still is offline
koteka curious
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 22,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomchris View Post
And what about at grass roots level where a more enlightened pov is required.
More enlightened in what way?

(sorry Chris, this is take 2 - I previously replied, but misunderstood)
Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old 28-06-17, 10:45 AM
hifinutt hifinutt is offline
hifinutt
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,039
well they have just carted off another isis supporter from our area , going to spain apparently !!! funnily enough I was round the house of a Belgian muslim chap last sat !!!! its getting very close to home !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-40427657
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
pink fish media