pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > photo

Notices

Old 19-09-17, 06:17 AM

Nikon getting ready to go mirrorless?

https://petapixel.com/2017/09/16/nik...ll-full-frame/

C'mon Canon, don't let them get a head start!
Old 19-09-17, 07:26 AM
Mirror slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Kit View Post
https://petapixel.com/2017/09/16/nik...ll-full-frame/

C'mon Canon, don't let them get a head start!
Canon Rumors have been talking about it for ages. Last I saw was this...

"We’re told that a roadmap slide at a recent Canon presentation mentioned a “high end mirrorless ILC” to be announced in Q4 of 2018.
Canon recently showed that sales of their EOS M system have grown 70% over the past year, and with Nikon set to announce a new high end mirrorless system, it’s obviously time for Canon to enter the same area"
Old 19-09-17, 10:45 PM
pfm Member

I do wonder at the logic though - these days the SLRs have all the gubbins of a mirrorless (operating with the mirror locked up) except a finder that switches between electronic and optical (as in how the Fuji X Pro 1/2 do).

If you are going mirrorless to save size/weight, is full frame really the right compromise? I would have thought you'd still end up with those chunky SLR lenses which are all the rage at the moment. If they produced some svelte leica style fast primes, then i'd be all ears/eyes.
Old 19-09-17, 11:01 PM
Perceptive Member

Or a global electronic shutter, if one of the big two manage this, then they will steal a march on everyone else. A silent shutter with an almost lifetime MTBF. They exisit in my world of industrial imaging even on 28Mp APSC sized sensors, so it can only be a matter of time.

Canon's current M series problem, is the lack of native glass, there are very few dedicated M series lenses, and slapping a great big FF size lens on an adapter sort of defeats the object of a lightweight compact body.

IMO if Canikon are going to enter this arena, they need an edge like

a) Global ES
b) Very Fast Large EVF, with no (minimal) blackout
c) Decent Battery life, most Mirrorless caneras chew through batteries in comparison with a DSLR

They both have wide ranges of lenses, they should capitalise on this before their competitors expand their range.

They also have much better Pro support than any competition, they also need to make the best of this.

There is still an opportunity, but time is marching on
Old 20-09-17, 01:49 AM
pfm Member

Indeed, two professional photographers who I know use Canon cameras and lenses for their paid work, but both have Fuji X for their personal work. They also carry the Fujis as 'backup'. Looking at the first draft files of a wedding shoot recently, over 50% of the shots that were going in the album were actually shot on the Fuji. My motorsport pro doesn't use the Fuji for moving cars, but a lot of the static and crowd shots are Fuji now. So, Canon and Nikon need to watch their backs.
Old 20-09-17, 02:00 PM
Mirror slapper

Just come back from a fabulous day with Canon in the New Forrest. I passed on your advice jem
Old 20-09-17, 02:06 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Perceptive View Post
Or a global electronic shutter, if one of the big two manage this, then they will steal a march on everyone else. A silent shutter with an almost lifetime MTBF. They exisit in my world of industrial imaging even on 28Mp APSC sized sensors, so it can only be a matter of time.

Canon's current M series problem, is the lack of native glass, there are very few dedicated M series lenses, and slapping a great big FF size lens on an adapter sort of defeats the object of a lightweight compact body.

IMO if Canikon are going to enter this arena, they need an edge like

a) Global ES
b) Very Fast Large EVF, with no (minimal) blackout
c) Decent Battery life, most Mirrorless caneras chew through batteries in comparison with a DSLR

They both have wide ranges of lenses, they should capitalise on this before their competitors expand their range.

They also have much better Pro support than any competition, they also need to make the best of this.

There is still an opportunity, but time is marching on
Spot on analysis I reckon.

I have nothing more to add other than this amusing quote taken from the article from the Nikon R&D Manager:

Quote:
Nikon has a lot more failure experience than Sony.

Lefty