pink fish media

Go Back   pink fish media > discussion > audio

Notices

Old 15-07-15, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry williams View Post
Ha,
Whats the rest?
All the sources systems and speakers you have been running those DACs through in all those rooms?
Any pictures?
Auralic Aries > Chord 2Qute>Primaluna Prolouge Premium>Kef Ls50
Auralic Aries >Uptone Audio Regen >Schiit Gungnir>Anthem 225 Integrated >Kef Ls50
iMac >Benchmark 2 HGC > Uptone Audio Regen> Genelec Nearfield Monitors
Auralic Aries > Parasound or Arcam Irdac> Parasound P5 Preamp > Ada amplifier > 5 sets of Rockustics Stonehedge outdoor speakers
Squeezebox Touch >Nad 1050 amp>Cambridge Audio portable speakers

Kimber and JL labs Cables
Old 15-07-15, 11:24 PM
pfm Member

but no Vega. A pal tried the Aries/Vega combo and found it to be, bang for buck, a winning combo, having the edge over an Aurender and bettered only by a Vitus Signature DAC (of the items he tried). He didn't audition a Chord on that occasion. Did you try and discount the Vega?
Old 16-07-15, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw View Post
but no Vega. A pal tried the Aries/Vega combo and found it to be, bang for buck, a winning combo, having the edge over an Aurender and bettered only by a Vitus Signature DAC (of the items he tried). He didn't audition a Chord on that occasion. Did you try and discount the Vega?
Haven't heard the Vega because I refuse to pay over 3k for any dac .

I'm sure it's great ,along with the Bricasti ,Total dac ,etc but I feel there are diminishing returns at that point .

Maybe I will buy a used one down the road .
Old 16-07-15, 04:01 AM
pfm Member

Thanks for the insight. Looking forward to your Chord/Schiit comparison.
Old 16-07-15, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw View Post
Thanks for the insight. Looking forward to your Chord/Schiit comparison.
Well hopefully the Yggy comes in the end of this month.

I do know the Chord 2Qute is better than the Gungnir and thats only after
maybe 2 hours of 2Qute use.
Old 16-07-15, 05:50 AM
pfm Member

Chord dac lasted about 1 week in my house. MHDT Havana dac has stayed much longer.
Old 16-07-15, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie1 View Post
Chord dac lasted about 1 week in my house. MHDT Havana dac has stayed much longer.
I don't think I wanna pair a tube Dac with a tube amp but I definitely wanna hear this Dac with a solid state amp !
Old 23-09-17, 03:33 PM

old thread I know, but relevant to me now as I am in the market for a decent headphone amp/DAC and the hugo is supposedly brilliant.

Im eager to perhaps try another Chord product as I did own the QBD76 for a short time. It did absolutely nothing for me, and reading the reviews led me to believe it was the best DAC in the world bar the DAVE. I have listened to the DAVE and I thought that was impressive but out of my price range for toys. I didnt think the QBD was anything special and aside from the sound it made a really annoying clicking sound every time you used the Bluetooth signal, and it would click loudly again when the signal stopped (an arcam irdac V1 did the same also). I might have put up with it if the sounds was jaw dropping but I found it far from it.

Hugo might be worth a go though. Or anyone any other suggestions of a similar small portable DAC/Headphone device that you've found that sounds simply amazing and mesmerising.

I still haven't heard much to de-throne my trusty Trichord Pulsar one with power sup (that I enjoy as much anyway) but thats 20+ year old, things have moved on, plus Id like the portability/headphone aspect with modern technology such as DSD conversion, and something to get even more from my digital collection.

Last edited by westsounds; 23-09-17 at 04:55 PM.
Old 23-09-17, 06:14 PM
pinko bodger

Chord Mojo? Does all you ask, inc DSD if you want it; drives anything; compact and battery powered up to 8-10hrs at a time. Total jack-in-the-box, and might be all you need to spend.

ETA: NB no Bluetooth (but then Bluetooth isn't much more than a convenience, rather than any test of a dac; added compression for a start.)
Old 23-09-17, 09:36 PM
pfm Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsounds View Post
old thread I know, but relevant to me now as I am in the market for a decent headphone amp/DAC and the hugo is supposedly brilliant.

Im eager to perhaps try another Chord product as I did own the QBD76 for a short time. It did absolutely nothing for me, and reading the reviews led me to believe it was the best DAC in the world bar the DAVE. I have listened to the DAVE and I thought that was impressive but out of my price range for toys. I didnt think the QBD was anything special and aside from the sound it made a really annoying clicking sound every time you used the Bluetooth signal, and it would click loudly again when the signal stopped (an arcam irdac V1 did the same also). I might have put up with it if the sounds was jaw dropping but I found it far from it.

Hugo might be worth a go though. Or anyone any other suggestions of a similar small portable DAC/Headphone device that you've found that sounds simply amazing and mesmerising.

I still haven't heard much to de-throne my trusty Trichord Pulsar one with power sup (that I enjoy as much anyway) but thats 20+ year old, things have moved on, plus Id like the portability/headphone aspect with modern technology such as DSD conversion, and something to get even more from my digital collection.
Perhaps it was system related but the QBD 76 transformed my system and the difference was huge. Prior to the QBD 76 I was using a lowly Musical Fidelity M1 DAC and it sounded flat and digital when compared to the Chord. I am using a mid-end Naim amplification. A member here also uses the QBD76 with his top-flight Naim 500 series amps with great success. There are few who compared the Hugo to the QBD76 and yes, it might be worth to give the Hugo a try.
Old 24-09-17, 04:23 AM
I heard that, pardon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin clark View Post

ETA: NB no Bluetooth (but then Bluetooth isn't much more than a convenience, rather than any test of a dac; added compression for a start.)
Bluetooth Aptx sounds very good to my old ears via Oppo HA1, certainly via HD800s phones I can hear no issues with it - much better than I remember BT being a year or two back.
Old 24-09-17, 11:41 AM
Unicorns fart glitter.

Steve, what aptX equipped source are you using. I don't believe ny Apple devices use it, so I never use Bluetooth in the Hugo.
Old 24-09-17, 12:12 PM
pfm Member

I use the built in Dac in my Tascam. Most of the time the system runs A/D/D/A/A/D/D/A

Still sound better than any overpriced "Dac" I've heard.

To me, the days of charging a fortune for digital to analogue converters are coming to an end. The source is the recording. It will be preserved by most digital playback systems nowadays. The differences are, to me, further down the chain in the analogue domain.
Old 24-09-17, 12:14 PM
pfm Member

The DAC is part of the analogue domain.
Old 24-09-17, 12:40 PM
pfm Member

Yep, and to me it makes relatively tiny differences to your enjoyment in 2017 TBL. I would spend the money on upgrading elsewhere personally, although the portable Chord is quite nice with it's DSD capability - otherwise my iPhone sounds great these days.